Best lead amp model?

Well it depends on the style you are going after. The one I'm spending more time on lately is the Badger 30 with a couple of dirive blocks in front (for different moods): it will cover almost anything.

for me it's the 5153Red.. no question, no doubt..
it has that perfect combination of silky smoothness and aggression

others that get close:
Herbert ch3
HBE
Triptik Modern
JVM

Currently Tucana 3.

I spent a little more time with it the other night, and depending on what style I'm playing, its very versatile with a drive out front and using the guitar's volume knob. It can dish out singing leads and clean up nicely with the same preset. Good candidate. While I am more familiar with other amps in the Axe like the Shiva, Rectos, Lonestar, Mark models, and now the Plexi models, I have a small handful I experiment with for different things and the Tucana 3 is one of them.

Reactions: yek
for me it's the 5153Red.. no question, no doubt..
it has that perfect combination of silky smoothness and aggression

others that get close:
Herbert ch3
HBE
Triptik Modern
JVM

I love the 5153 Red also, using the V30 Chinese with it ultrarez.

Currently Tucana 3.

Schnikeys! I figured, good enough for Yek, good enough for me, so I just set up a new preset using the Tucana 3 (first time I've tried it since upgrading to 15b) and holy sh*tballs. I put a BB Pre in front of it, and I swear I saw flames coming out of my CLRs. (ok maybe it was just the logo...but still...) I'm gonna be sportin' wood for the rest of the day. :D

Try it with CK's latest Irs...sounds great with mostly defaults too

THIS^ With that said, CK's new IRs really feel and sound like sitting in front of my old Mesa cab. Those are becoming my number 1 go to cab now. They really open up the potential of the amps without tweaking anything in the cab block.

THIS^ With that said, CK's new IRs really feel and sound like sitting in front of my old Mesa cab. Those are becoming my number 1 go to cab now. They really open up the potential of the amps without tweaking anything in the cab block.

I find this interesting because I tried em without success, and then after seeing so many say they are so good, tried em again, and they don't work for me at all. I realize many on here think they are amazing, but they sound thin and extremely lacking character on most of my presets at gig volumes where my own Ultrares IR's that I made myself completely shine through and cut the mix without ice pick or mud.

What do you guys use? I was using the ODS-100, but I really like the 5153 Red Channel too.

Depends, the following with lots of tweaks (so far)

Clean stuff: blues Jr, bassman
Light gain: Maz38 w/BB
Heavier Blues: Bludojai
Rock: 50w plexi high
Heavy: Splawn Nitro, Euro Red

Other favs:BE, HBE, Shiva Lead, Trainwreck,... Just too many that I like :)

Back
Top Bottom