Best IRs for open back clean amp sound

fprince

Seems like people are really talking up the new OwnHammer Vintage and Modern Mix series, but as far as I can tell they are recorded in a closed back 4x12.

What are the state of the art IRs these days that will give combo amp sound to the Standard/Ultra Fender/Vox/Dumble/Boogie clean amp combo models? Or does it really matter that much what box the speakers are recorded in?

I would grab the Ownhammer bundles, but one of my main applications is several dedicated clean sounds using the Ultra and Standard's 2x12 Black, 1x12 Tweed, and 2x12 Brit models for sims of Blackface Deluxe, AC30, and Tweed amps. I would like to experiment and hopefully improve on these sounds without losing their particular character.

When I have run tube combo amps through actual 4x12 cabs, it always sounded really good, but had kind of an "on steroids" thing going on with the bass thump and somewhat more distorted sound when the amp gain was bumped up a little. I would like to stay true to the combo amp sounds if possible.

Seems like people are really talking up the new OwnHammer Vintage and Modern Mix series, but as far as I can tell they are recorded in a closed back 4x12.

What are the state of the art IRs these days that will give combo amp sound to the Standard/Ultra Fender/Vox/Dumble/Boogie clean amp combo models? Or does it really matter that much what box the speakers are recorded in?

I would grab the Ownhammer bundles, but one of my main applications is several dedicated clean sounds using the Ultra and Standard's 2x12 Black, 1x12 Tweed, and 2x12 Brit models for sims of Blackface Deluxe, AC30, and Tweed amps. I would like to experiment and hopefully improve on these sounds without losing their particular character.

When I have run tube combo amps through actual 4x12 cabs, it always sounded really good, but had kind of an "on steroids" thing going on with the bass thump and somewhat more distorted sound when the amp gain was bumped up a little. I would like to stay true to the combo amp sounds if possible.

Uh-oh! :eek: I have only played through open back cabinets since 1968 and was planning to pick up the Ownhammer bundles this weekend. Do they have any open-back IR's in their bundles? :numbness:

Kevin (OwnHammer) indicated that he's working on IR's for a tweed Deluxe style cab (Mojo Tone Narrown Panel Deluxe) and a Bogner Shiva 2x12 cab. Likely out in the next month or so. THey're both open back, although I don't know how he intends to address/augment that vs. the typical closed back cabs. But it's good news for those of us who like small combos and open back cabs. Should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom