Best improve amp model: Mighty Splawn!

dupere11497

Experienced
I remember when the Splawn model was first introduce several firmwares ago, I was a bit disapointed. Cliff once stated the model was accurate and he didn't like much the original amp. Well, I gave the gear 1 a second chance with the new FW beta 12.04 and KABOOM!!! All I can say is WOW!! This model is nowere near what it use to be. With the improve MV, I set it around 7 with speaker low resonnance around 8 and I raise the treble cap around 400 and flames are litteraly comming out of my axe fx, along with smoke!! This new FW is gonna be Cliff's Mona Lisa, a small step for Fractal audio, a giant leap for guitar community!! Bravo!!

Always loved the Splawn "voice", however, I always thought these models had so much low end and flubiness that ended up destroying the whole mix. Haven't upgraded yet, but glad to hear what's going on :)

Always loved the Splawn "voice", however, I always thought these models had so much low end and flubiness that ended up destroying the whole mix. Haven't upgraded yet, but glad to hear what's going on :)
No more flubiness! That's the whole idea behind this new firmware! Increase of power and clarity! You are getting rid of the downsides while adding benifits!!

If you're talking about the splawn nitrous......That's been my go to amp for a while now.....BEEFY!
But it only sounds good on one of my guitars, middle of the road pups. My hi gain pups sound nasty thru the splawn. :/

I use the Nitro as my high gain amp. Prior to the latest beta, I ran the gain at around 3.5-4 depending on which guitar I was running through it. And that was still tons of gain. With the latest beta I'm up to around 4.5 without the hair overmatching the note. I also don't have to use the low cut on it any more.

gotta give them another try. I was really excited when they were added, knew that they are slightly on the darker side from playing the real ones, but the models were just really way too dark and bassy for my taste and not how I remembered them. you're saying 12.04 changed that ?

I just "re-tried" the Splawn models tonight as well. the Nitrous is leaps and bounds better than I remember it a few revs back.

gotta give them another try. I was really excited when they were added, knew that they are slightly on the darker side from playing the real ones, but the models were just really way too dark and bassy for my taste and not how I remembered them. you're saying 12.04 changed that ?
Absolutely! I'm talking about the quickrod gear 1. It's wayyyyyyy more open, tight and clear. Truly hotrodded Marshall tone like it's suppose to sound. I love it!

Absolutely! I'm talking about the quickrod gear 1. It's wayyyyyyy more open, tight and clear. Truly hotrodded Marshall tone like it's suppose to sound. I love it!

I was talking about the QR as well. in real life it's a beautiful modded Plexi and 800 tone, but previously the models just didn't do it for me. gotta try them asap with 0.4 :)

Sounds like the Splawn isn't the only improvement. Almost all hi-gain amps in my opinion suffered from this excessive low end flubiness jumping over the whole tone. I know "real-life" amps tend to be like this, and I always multi-band compressed my tones, but I think most models in the axe sounded a little bit too much bass-heavy. I wonder how the Friedman is sounding now ... :D

Sounds like the Splawn isn't the only improvement. Almost all hi-gain amps in my opinion suffered from this excessive low end flubiness jumping over the whole tone. I know "real-life" amps tend to be like this, and I always multi-band compressed my tones, but I think most models in the axe sounded a little bit too much bass-heavy. I wonder how the Friedman is sounding now ... :D
I've always struggled with the Friedmans before. They were really bassy. I was lowering the depth parameter and cutting the bass, and it still was muddy. I couldn't raise the MV over 3 to keep it clear. But now, raising the MV, even up to the max, makes the amp explode!!! It roar and screams, with a lot of harmonics. It still a bit heavy in the bass, but I guess it's the nature of the beast. But you can easily dial out mudiness now and make it sounds like a Plexi on steroids.

theres something about the mids on the BE and HBE that I always struggle with. I love them but I'm always trying to dial out this feeling of "congestion", for lack of batter term...

I remember when the Splawn model was first introduce several firmwares ago, I was a bit disapointed. Cliff once stated the model was accurate and he didn't like much the original amp. Well, I gave the gear 1 a second chance with the new FW beta 12.04 and KABOOM!!! All I can say is WOW!! This model is nowere near what it use to be. With the improve MV, I set it around 7 with speaker low resonnance around 8 and I raise the treble cap around 400 and flames are litteraly comming out of my axe fx, along with smoke!! This new FW is gonna be Cliff's Mona Lisa, a small step for Fractal audio, a giant leap for guitar community!! Bravo!!

Which cab are you using?

Retried the Fryette Deliverance models yesterday.
Much better than Mark IIC+ IMO, it has been improved a lot since when I gave them up.

About the Fryette again: I switched to 6L6's from KT88's and increased the bias value from 3 to 4 (thank god I don't have a real electric circuit, I could burn the whole house down :) )
Reduced the bass to 2.5, treble mid and presence at 5.5, depth reduced to 4, I really enjoy this amp more now.
Back to Dumble and Fryette from Mesa and Mesa (lonestar and mark iic+) and I'm happier than ever.
I really thank FAS. When I had a mini rectifier, I didn't even think to change to another high gain amp or buy an amp that has better cleans to use them together due to economy and difficulty of obtaining some different brand amps. Now the only two high gain amps that I don't even consider to try are the powerball and the rectifier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom