Best FRFRs For Low Volume Practice

Peter K

I'm new to the Fractal society and am using my FX-II mostly for practicing at low volumes with occasional (reasonable) outbursts.

Any suggestions for powered frfrs at a reasonble price? Weight and portability are not huge concerns, but sounding like a cross between 80s EVH and Eric Johnson is.

Peter K

Last edited:
I'll just chime in here for my own personal setup. I don't gig and only play in my own mancave, and I have a Xitone wedge (planning on getting another one). For me, having a wedge is perfect because I can sit in a chair and have the tone coming up at me while I play and also use it as a standard cab if necessary. It just works well for me. I tried KRK monitors but just didn't sound good to me. I thought about getting Adam monitors but then realized I could get two wedges for the same price and have something useful for all types of situations.

Try the LD Systems 12" Coax-Wege Mon12a. Very accurate, dry sounding and "guitarcab-like" Sound for a Budget Price. Even the 10" Version is a Real bargain, and for rehearsal in a (Not too loud) Band the 12" has enough power.

Getting a cross between Eric Johnson and EVH is really more about the patch setting on the axe. IMO, the best sound for late night bedrooms is a good set of headphones. It can sound really loud at any time of day but of course it doesn't have the SPL fun of a loud FRFR.
FRFR solutions, by design, should be able to do what you're asking for. Xitone, Matrix and CLR seem to be the hotness right now with the Xitone being the best budget friendly, Matrix being most flexible (separate power amp can also work with trad cabs) and CLR being most flat. All of them make their owners happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm currently using some cheap, small Samson units that are OK. But you're right, monitors might be the way to go.

How about the Mackie DLM 8's? small, compact in your budget, will work for low volume listening but will allow you to also gig with them.

There are some nice Event studio monitors on TGP.

I'm using my Adam P11As, and they're great. I don't have to change much when using my Carvin/Xitone 2x12 FRFR rig.

That's a cool unit. Do you know if you can use just one and run it in stereo?

Nope one speaker = mono :(. If you do a search there is a forum member "zentman" that bought a pair on sale for under a grand from GC and totally likes them.

EDIT: In fact here ya go... DLM8 Last Test

Last edited:
I went with the QSC K10s. I found a good deal and couldn't resist. I'll check back in when I've got my sound up and running. Thanks for all your help on this one.

Back
Top Bottom