Best FRFR to use with the AXE FX?

I will wait until Fractal releases the FAS Neo-Quantum 300w FRFR powered wedge monitor, designed to be the perfect speaker solution for Fractal amp modeling technology.... Available NAMM 2025!

One can only dream!

I am using a Matrix GT1000FX 2U amp, and a Matrix FR212 speaker, so far, awesome! Depends I guess if you just want to monitor yourself and go FOH live, or get the air moving behind you. I do both, move some air and go FOH.

I love my Xitone 1x12 wedge. I also have a pair of EA VL110 cabs that are lovely.

Mick from Xitone is really wonderful. You'll find a large number of happy customers on the forum, and we'll all tell you it's great to work with him.

I think it depends on the application - so having owned lots of them then here's my list:

1) Best Sound and Dispersion - Atomic CLR/CLR Neo

2) Best for moving air and feeling like a cab - Friedman ASM 12

3) Best for longevity/robustness - RCF NX12SMA

4) Lightest - forthcoming Matrix FR12/10 powered FRFR's

If I had a $ for each time this question was asked

Bottom line, there isn’t "the best" it’s a matter of taste.

I used to run many cabs paired to my Mesa 2:90, I used Marshall and ENGL 4x12, Mesa 1x12 EVM's and V30's loaded 2x12 Carvin cabs.

Then switched to MATRIX GT1000FX + 2 MATRIX NL212 (very light extended range cabs) and later on added 2 1x12 XiTone's.

I can say that I love both the MATRIX NL's and the XiTone's, they don’t sound the same, they are very different but they are both great.

At our rehearsing space I hook up my MATRIX1000 to a MARSHALL 4x12 which also sounds good.

All mater of tweaking and taste.

In my live room in the studio have been messing about with the Axefx through a pair of Turbosound IQ15. Sounds great.

To subjective of a question to give a singular best answer. with the power of the EQ in the Axe there can be a pretty broad selection of solutions available, though it's been said countless times over the years the flatter the response the better.

The one that sounds best to you. Got to put in the time for that answer!

This is the best advice. Go out and listen to all the speakers and pick what sounds best to you. You can see what I settled on in my signature.

after nearly 3 years with my Axe FX II, and a pair of CLR active wedges, I've come to find that the main thing is that one uses the same system to dial in your tones with, at gig levels, and that one keeps using the same system consistently. Don't dial in on one system and then gig with another.

As for the actual choice.... there is no best. You need to decide on a setup that will work for you (ie wedges vs cabinets, powered, weight, size, application) and then price. There are tons of options, you need to shop around.

I have been very happy with my (2) clr powered atomic wedges, 3 years and not a single problem, and they sound amazing!!!

I am new to this and finally decided to order an Axe XL and the MFC foot switch.. Now I need to figure out what to run it through.. I was thinking maybe a Marshall 4x12 or maybe a Mesa 2x12 using a Matrix 1000 watt amp.. I am assuming that I can also run to FOH with the signal right out of the Axe... I have tried so hard to resist the temptation of the Axe Fx but my ears tell me its the best option being that I play in a cover band and would like to simulate a lot of different guitar sounds...

Back
Top Bottom