Best FRFR for the money

I've got a pair of RedSound RS-LG12 cab / speakers. Sounded amazing with the Kemper - but not so great with my new AFX3. Incredibly 'boomy' and just sound..... I dunno, painful? I'm using Yamaha HS5s as studio monitors, but I know they don't compare with the LG12s.

However - for £350, I've ordered a pair of Headrush FrFr108s. Have a band rehearsal on Sunday, so can try the RedSound cabs and the 108s in a loud and live setting.

I've got a pair of RedSound RS-LG12 cab / speakers. Sounded amazing with the Kemper - but not so great with my new AFX3. Incredibly 'boomy' and just sound..... I dunno, painful? I'm using Yamaha HS5s as studio monitors, but I know they don't compare with the LG12s.

However - for £350, I've ordered a pair of Headrush FrFr108s. Have a band rehearsal on Sunday, so can try the RedSound cabs and the 108s in a loud and live setting.
How did the RedSound & the Headrush cabs compare?

Harley Benton are a very under rated brand. I’ve got a GPA-400 power amp and just got my hands on a celestion loaded 2x12 cabinet. They are fantastic value for money and I’ll bet this is not too shabby either
What’s your experience by now? I have a stereo 2x12 cab (Koch) and think about the gpa400 for when I can’t go FOH.
Do you bypass or leave out the cab-block? Would like to keep it in for FRFR/FOH.

What’s your experience by now? I have a stereo 2x12 cab (Koch) and think about the gpa400 for when I can’t go FOH.
Do you bypass or leave out the cab-block? Would like to keep it in for FRFR/FOH.
Yeah, I leave out the cab block. I’ve got presets designed so that they can either be direct to FOH, Frfr speaker or power amp and cabinet, with the option to use a couple of them.
For the power amp / cab option, I left out the cab block from the chain.

Yeah, I leave out the cab block. I’ve got presets designed so that they can either be direct to FOH, Frfr speaker or power amp and cabinet, with the option to use a couple of them.
For the power amp / cab option, I left out the cab block from the chain.
Possible to share an example of your preset design? If I understand correctly you're able to go both FOH and power amp + cab at the same time. Does this mean effect blocks after the cab block are left out in the power amp + cabinet signal chain?
And another question: do you like the GPA400?

Possible to share an example of your preset design? If I understand correctly you're able to go both FOH and power amp + cab at the same time. Does this mean effect blocks after the cab block are left out in the power amp + cabinet signal chain?
And another question: do you like the GPA400?
The GPA400 is great. I don’t use it that often but it gives me a plan b in case of equipment failures !
I’ll send a DM of the preset design 👌

After researching the options I went with a pair of Yorkville E10Ps, which run about $CDN500-700 used. QSCs and EVs were also on my short list, but they're not readily available right now and if they are the prices are high. Not sure how available E10Ps are outside Canada, but they are almost always available here (I just saw 3 on FB Marketplace for $600 each). One advantage is that they are generally consistent with the small PAs that I'll often be playing through at gigs, so my EQs/tweaks to my presets should translate well to the audience compared to, for example, studio monitors or headphones. The other advantage is that they are notoriously indestructible (like their sibling guitar amps, the mighty Traynors ...).

I also discovered this weekend that the head rush 108 doubles a good vocal monitor as well as a practice speaker for the house 😂

I have a Yamaha DXr 10, Line6 PowerCab 112+, and a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 Studio - which is my favorite. Is the extra cost worth it? Probably not since there are a lot more affordable alternatives that are certainly comparable. I think whatever you end up with, you can craft your presets to sound amazing with your frfr speaker(s).

Back
Top Bottom