Best Expression Pedal.../

Just check my sig... I have 4 Mission Engineer EP-1R's one with the spring loaded option. That spring loaded option in combination with autoengage on the wah is a thing of beauty.

Any other choices out there? To be honest I hate the feel of a cry baby! My first wah was a bad horse and although I was not to fond of it's tone I loved the feel of the pedal. I bought a dimebag wah and liked the tone but hated the feel. I currently have the EB wah and love teh tone and feel I have also always loved the feel of EB volume pedals so an other really good expression pedals out there that don't use the cry baby platform?

brokenvail said:
Any other choices out there? To be honest I hate the feel of a cry baby! My first wah was a bad horse and although I was not to fond of it's tone I loved the feel of the pedal. I bought a dimebag wah and liked the tone but hated the feel. I currently have the EB wah and love teh tone and feel I have also always loved the feel of EB volume pedals so an other really good expression pedals out there that don't use the cry baby platform?
I was very tempted to get one of these before Mission showed up...
http://www.toneczareffects.com/prod-exp.htm
...and these are based on EB volume pedals. A bit pricy, and I can't recall anyone testing one with an Axe-Fx, but... you could! :D

godprobe said:
brokenvail said:
I was very tempted to get one of these before Mission showed up...
http://www.toneczareffects.com/prod-exp.htm
...and these are based on EB volume pedals. A bit pricy, and I can't recall anyone testing one with an Axe-Fx, but... you could! :D

I had inquired about the toneczar EB-based pedals as expression pedals. I didn't get a very good impression... and that could be just me. Those pedals are built specifically to be used with the toneczar pedal line and although I believe they would work with midi controllers I just got the sense that it was really a supported application. The exchange I had didn't leave with a good vibe.

The exchange I had with Mission Engineering... very much like my exchange with Fractal.

Again, that was just my experience. I am only one person so take that into consideration when evaluating your options and all the different comments in this thread.

brokenvail said:

The nice thing about EB pedals is they're easy to take a apart and fix/modify. It's not much work to modify a VP Jr. to be an expression pedal. The taper and range of the replacement potentiometer you need will depend on your MIDI pedal. And then you'll need a TRS jack to replace the TR jack on it with and...you're done. Anywhere from $5 - $40 in parts depending on the quality you want (sealed pots vs. unsealed for example).

brokenvail said:
The Boss pedals IMO feel quite similar to the EB pedals and they are used on many pedal boards. Haven't had a single problem with mine (yet).

The nice thing about EB pedals is they're easy to take a apart and fix/modify. It's not much work to modify a VP Jr. to be an expression pedal. The taper and range of the replacement potentiometer you need will depend on your MIDI pedal. And then you'll need a TRS jack to replace the TR jack on it with and...you're done. Anywhere from $5 - $40 in parts depending on the quality you want (sealed pots vs. unsealed for example).[/quote]

I may need to look into this.

Does any one know what type of pot I need?

brokenvail said:
I may need to look into this.

Does any one know what type of pot I need?
25k linear is a good choice. You'll also need a TRS jack to replace the TR jack or a Y-cable if you just want to use the two existing jacks.

"best" is of course subjective - maybe this "mother of all expression pedals" is somebody's favorite:
http://www.moogmusic.com/controllers/?s ... t_id=21141
mp_web_1.jpg

I haven't tried one myself but figured this thread wouldn't be complete without at least a mention.

mworkman said:
Just check my sig... I have 4 Mission Engineer EP-1R's one with the spring loaded option. That spring loaded option in combination with autoengage on the wah is a thing of beauty.

Why "R" option instead of regular pedal? What exactly does it do?

Gizmo said:
mworkman said:

Reverses the taper of the potentiometer. Some MIDI pedals require the taper to be inverted to function properly.

iaresee said:
Gizmo said:
mworkman said:

Reverses the taper of the potentiometer. Some MIDI pedals require the taper to be inverted to function properly.

Exactly. I run the 4 EP-1R's through an Axess Electronics FX-1. The reverse taper was necessary for those pedals to work with the FX-1.

Back
Top Bottom