Best drive block in front of Fender clean?

bulgmaf

Inspired
What are some good ideas for drive blocks in front of Fender clean amp models to boost the character of the amp for R&B, Soul, Gospel? I don’t want to change the character of the amp.

Also, single coil guitar with boost pedal in front of Fender clean models vs. humbucker without boost pedal - what are the general tonal differences?

I think the reason you haven't gotten any answers is that ANY drive pedal is going to change the character of a clean amp.

One has a clean character. The other has an drive character.

As for the difference between pickups, I'll paste from Google: "Single coils tend to be brighter and crisper, with greater note definition between strings, while humbuckers are often louder, darker, and heavier." A clean boost pedal will just make the single coil louder, unless it's also got an EQ, in which case you'll also hear the EQ. On the Axe-Fx, the EQ of a boost can be anything you want. So... What do you want?

Reactions: Rex
Master Drive and RCB are pretty good fit for what is being asked. Also the SDD Drive.

They will affect the tone and response a little (or more, depending on the settings), but IMO the result is better than without.

I think the reason you haven't gotten any answers is that ANY drive pedal is going to change the character of a clean amp.

One has a clean character. The other has an drive character.

Thanks for the response M@tt. Let me rephrase my 1st question for clarification. Which drive blocks would be most transparent in front of a clean amp?

Back
Top Bottom