Best direct MIDI controller (without host computer)

the NI Maschine is a cool idea. I recently bought a maschine mk3 used and love it for what its intended for of course but have thought about trying the 5pin to my Axe Fx III in nearby rack for some desktop physical controls. Programming the maschine in midi mode is pretty straightforward using the midi editor. Just a matter of midi mapping once. and done.

... to a point but many of them designed with DAW integration as the priority and setting CC numbers in standalone a little laborious. As I said I'm probably going to stick with something I already know and buy another NI device for this dedicated purpose - cost effective & familiar.

Setting CC numbers is always laborious, even under the best of circumstances. The solution is: don't do that :). Use midi learn instead.

Setting CC numbers is always laborious, even under the best of circumstances. The solution is: don't do that :). Use midi learn instead.
well yes, and with an Axe FX? Ideally I'd like a bi-directional scribble strip too! May have to accept some compromises here tho!

the NI Maschine is a cool idea. I recently bought a maschine mk3 used and love it for what its intended for of course but have thought about trying the 5pin to my Axe Fx III in nearby rack for some desktop physical controls. Programming the maschine in midi mode is pretty straightforward using the midi editor. Just a matter of midi mapping once. and done.
yeah, I think that will work OK for me and I might even use it with Maschine on occasion too which despite licenses for Live and FL Studio still tends to be OK for my DAW needs - simple and nicely integrated with the dedicated hardware.

Yes, the Axe-FX has midi learn. Any midi controller that has 5 pin midi will work just fine.
Confess I didn't realise MIDI learn is available from the Axe FX - just found it (on the hardware). That will be useful - thanks.
I don't see a learn function in Axe Edit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom