Best computer for dedicated use with Fractal Modeler?

SpudMan

Inspired
I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro which is working fine, but is living on borrowed time. I am thinking for now of getting a computer to leave in my music room and use only for the FM3. I don't want to spend a fortune on the music room computer, just something that works. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Some thoughts:
(1) Desktop vs. Laptop
(2) Mac/Windows/Linux
(3) Chip (Intel vs. AMD)
etc.

Thanks!

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro which is working fine, but is living on borrowed time. I am thinking for now of getting a computer to leave in my music room and use only for the FM3. I don't want to spend a fortune on the music room computer, just something that works. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Some thoughts:
(1) Desktop vs. Laptop
(2) Mac/Windows/Linux
(3) Chip (Intel vs. AMD)
etc.

Thanks!
I’d suggest you look at it from a different angle. Why not leave the MacBook Pro in the music room for the FM3 and buy a new MacBook Pro for your more everyday use. That way you won’t be getting behind the tech curve.

Last edited:
The more relevant question would be;
Best computer for dedicated DAW.

Without recording/editing/mixing, the only thing you're using your computer for with the FM3 is to use Axe Edit and update firmware so in that case any computer would do.

Last edited:
The more relevant question would be;
Best computer for dedicated DAW.

Without recording/editing/mixing, the only thing you're using your computer for with the FM3 is to use Axe Edit and update firmware so in that case any computer would do.
I am currently using/evaluating Reaper.

Reaper is a great place to start.

Just keep in mind, the more complicated your recording/mixing gets, the more powerful computer you'll need. Once you start using a lot of plugins and virtual instruments, you'll find that more demands are made on your computer.
My computer build is here in this link;
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/finally-finished-almosst-my-new-daw-build.179752/

It's probably way over the top for you at this stage but it's where you'd want to be with heavy sessions. I've always used Windows because I like to spec and build myself rather than take the Mac route.
All personal preference, no right or wrong.
Best of luck and have fun.

Last edited:
And my dad can beat up your dad? Their is no BEST.T here is no BEST. Sorry.
A good build, whatever platform, is what works BEST!

Back
Top Bottom