Best budget FRFR for FM3

I found the QSC sterile sounding and could not bond with them, sold it.
I currently have 2 HeadRush 108's and a 1 x12 HeadRush.
Best bang for the buck is HeadRush.
I would not purchase the 1 x 12 though, I feel it's too big for me AND I get all I need and more out of the 2, 1 x 8's!
Do you have stands for your 108's? If so, is it essentially a necessity to have stands? I have heard of some other speakers that sound boomy until they are on stands so I am wondering if I should order a stand right away for the Headrush if I go that route or wait to order a stand for it.

IIRC, the HeadRush FRFR108s have a "contour" switch for scooping mids...not sure if this is effective for speaker stand or floor use, just thought I'd mention this as a side note of the HR FRFRs...
Scooping them doesn't seem like it'd be the solution because that'd still leave the lows untouched, and with the mids cut the bass will be more prominent. Guitar is predominately in that middle-range so it'd be affected, and most likely the player would have to turn up the volume, making the problem worse.

Do you have stands for your 108's? If so, is it essentially a necessity to have stands? I have heard of some other speakers that sound boomy until they are on stands so I am wondering if I should order a stand right away for the Headrush if I go that route or wait to order a stand for it.
I wouldn't bother with the pole stands. Read up on speakers and acoustic coupling/de-coupling. It's good information to know in a studio or live situation.

I own the Headrush frfr112, cp12 and the k10. The two QSC’s sound super close and both sound better than the Headrush to my ears. The K10 is louder but I can’t imagine needing more volume than the cp12 puts out.

At low volumes all three sound great, the Headrush loses some clarity as you really crank it. The QSC’s stay really clear.

I have stands for other PA speakers, but have never even tried them with the HeadRush speakers.
I would try them without the stands. You can always get them if needed.
If I feel a preset has too much bass, I go to the output page where you can get to the graphic EQ. I turn down the first 2 sliders.

I own the Headrush frfr112, cp12 and the k10. The two QSC’s sound super close and both sound better than the Headrush to my ears. The K10 is louder but I can’t imagine needing more volume than the cp12 puts out.

At low volumes all three sound great, the Headrush loses some clarity as you really crank it. The QSC’s stay really clear.
I was leaning towards the Headrush 112 but am still a little unsure. I don't mind spending the money on the QSC if it's worth the extra money. People seem to love the Headrush (I haven't heard either in person) but who wouldn't at that price point. Do you think the QSC CP12 is worth the extra money over the Headrush? This will be my only speaker (at least at the current time excluding the monitors that I use at home).

Last edited:
The Headrush is better than the Friedman hands down and half the weight.

Much of this is Subjective & varies by "Taste" as you can see from these 2 Opinions & my opinion is My Friedman ASC-10 is vastly superior to the QSC K10 & K12, RCF NX-12SMA that I still have, just relegated the QSCs to my Bass Player & Drummer for Vocal Monitors.

I found FRFR to be terrible for interactive feedback Soloing etc... made me leave the Modeling world & go back to Tube & Amps & Analog Pedals. Getting older & playing smaller venues has driven me back to using a Modeler & the Friedman ASC-10 gives me the feeling back that I'm playing an Amp.
Others have bought ^ sold the Friedman cause it wasn't "Their Thing"
Again, its all very subjective

Scooping them doesn't seem like it'd be the solution because that'd still leave the lows untouched, and with the mids cut the bass will be more prominent. Guitar is predominately in that middle-range so it'd be affected, and most likely the player would have to turn up the volume, making the problem worse.
Likely a wise choice. My preference is EQing at guitar/effect/amp/IR level rather than try switching a scoop feature at speaker level. Might be effective for high gain metal where a scooped EQ would be more prevalent. Perhaps this is 2nd-hand knowledge, but this is what I've heard regards where scooped mids might be preferred.

Boomy bass I'd just use a low cut at about 80 to 120 Hz to mitigate low end. In fact, that's how all my personal presets are currently tweaked.

Much of this is Subjective & varies by "Taste" as you can see from these 2 Opinions & my opinion is My Friedman ASC-10 is vastly superior to the QSC K10 & K12, RCF NX-12SMA that I still have, just relegated the QSCs to my Bass Player & Drummer for Vocal Monitors.

I found FRFR to be terrible for interactive feedback Soloing etc... made me leave the Modeling world & go back to Tube & Amps & Analog Pedals. Getting older & playing smaller venues has driven me back to using a Modeler & the Friedman ASC-10 gives me the feeling back that I'm playing an Amp.
Others have bought ^ sold the Friedman cause it wasn't "Their Thing"
Again, its all very subjective
For sure, haven’t tried the Friedman yet but I will one of these days. They look the coolest for sure!

I haven’t tried every option out there. I had been using KRK RP5 monitors but wanted more volume available so I bought the Friedman. I didn’t personally bond with it, I felt that it colored the sound like a guitar cabinet too much. it didn’t sound bad but seemed to alter the frequency response quite a bit IMHO. I returned the Friedman and am back to the KRK monitors until I find something else

At the german bondeo site is a comparison test with different frfr cabs! I think about to buy 2x the Laney LFR 112, for me, they have the best price-performance ratio. They are about 360€!

Yet, another magazine review that’s mostly roses…
Sorry, I am not a native speaker and do not understand the content of your answer correctly, but I am not interested in the test statements (they are always very soft!), I just wanted to give a small overview of the market!

Sorry, I am not a native speaker and do not understand the content of your answer correctly, but I am not interested in the test statements (they are always very soft!), I just wanted to give a small overview of the market!
What I mean is the review was saying everything was great and not much negative.
So it’s mostly a useless review as every cabinet reviewed came off as great.

I have the Headrush 112. It’s ok but eventually will be replaced by an amp and the Celestion FRFR speakers. It’s very bright and I have to eq to tame the highs down. Gets more than loud enough. I can’t get real amp feedback out of it even at band volumes for some reason. Can’t say I’m 100% happy with it but I am getting good tones out of it for the most part. I have nothing to compare it to except the QSC speakers on our PA system. Don’t know the model but the Headrush beats those. You get what you pay for of course and these are the best budget option.

Has anyone played around with inserting foam in front of the horns on the HR112?

I bought mine off Music Store Live. They sell on Reverb. Ask for a deal and they might well do it for you. I have had good luck with them on other deals.

Although I have nothing to compare it to, I have the headrush 112 and it’s a powerful little unit. For just a monitor need it’s great. I don’t use it to project to the audience and rely on the foh for that. I’m sure there are “better” FRFR’s but I’m happy and may get another for stereo.

I purchased the Headrush 112 for the time being since this is my first delve into the modeling world (apart from a Line 6 Spider and that is not even comparable lol) and I wanted to make sure that I bond with the FM3 before I spend the extra money on a higher quality speaker or any upgrades.

The FM3 is supposed to be here Thursday and I cannot express how excited I am for this unit to arrive! I have been doing research for months and I cannot wait to try it out.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the replies! Everyone has been so helpful here and that is something that I truly appreciate!

Back
Top Bottom