Best amp and speakers for ultimate tube amp realism

ratt617

I've searched this forum for 2 weeks now trying to figure out the best setup for the Axe Fx. I have never owned any digital equipment before, but I am taking the plunge and buying an Axe Fx 2. I have always owned tube amps. I want to buy equipment that will make the Axe Fx sound the best that it can sound. I'm debating whether to get a VHT 2/50/2 and two passive Atomic Reator passive cabs, or should I get two Atomic Reactor active cabs. I am also open to other ideas, these are just the two that I have come up with by reading the forum. I want to run in stereo and I am not worried about what it would sound like in front of an audience. I only play in my home studio / guitar room. I want to take full advantage of all of the different amp models and I want it to be a very versitile set up yet be very tube like, not thin and digital. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You may want to look at the Matrix GT 800 FX SS amp, Some of the tube power amp guys are very happy with the results having compared it to the VHT power amp. Couple that with both guitar cabs and FR cabs so you have the best of both worlds and can come up with what works best for you.

Any other ideas?

I guess I'm leaning toward just getting an Atomic Reactor active cab. i'm just scared that it's going to be digital sounding in comparison to running it through a guitar cabinet, but I want the versatility of using the amp and cabinet sims. Will it still sound like a cranked tube amp through these cabs or should i get a rack mount vht and run it to a passive Atomic Reactor? i just really think i need some tubes in there some where.

It's all preference man... if you are use to an amp in the room feel or the sound of a raw cab behind you then an amp and cab will be the better choice right off the bat. If you need versatility the FR solution is the better way to go just keep in mind that you will have to get use to hearing a mic'd cab sound opposed to a raw cab sound. I have owned the Reactor and in comparison to a PA monitor cab it sounds the best.

Coming from a long history of tube amps like so many here, I can honestly say it does not sound digital.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses Sixstring. i notice you post a lot around here. thank you for your time and effort to help others on this forum. it is greatly appreciated. i think I'll give the active Atomic Reactor. if I want something different I can always run it through my Splawn power section into my Marshall halfstack. now I just have to wait like everyone else to get my hands on an Axe Fx 2. :)

if you're only going to use it at home, I think you'll be better off with studio monitors. Adams, Dynaudio's etc.

Monitors

I did consider that, but that would take tubes out of the rig. I think you probably need some tubes in the mix to give you that tube amp warmth and realism. Wouldn't you agree?

If I was starting out I would first check out a QSC K10 and do the outlined step to get the most out of it. As far as I know there is no other data available for any other speaker available, including the atomics.

if you're only going to use it at home, I think you'll be better off with studio monitors. Adams, Dynaudio's etc.

+1

I did consider that, but that would take tubes out of the rig. I think you probably need some tubes in the mix to give you that tube amp warmth and realism. Wouldn't you agree?

No - I would respectfully but strongly disagree.
The best tones I´ve had from my Ultra have been either from studio monitors or very, very high-end FRFR stage monitors that cost many times that of the studiomonitors.
I´ve tried many types of studio monitors and can strongly recommend Dynaudio BM5A mk II as a really good monitor for the Axe Fx, mixing your own tracks and for listening to music at a very fair price. IMHO the Dynaudios beat the Adams A7 and the many other brands I´ve tried. Got more money to burn (?), then the KS Digital L-88 and R-88 set is outstanding. Seriously a set of studiomonitors will not get you stage volumes , but for playing at home they'll get more than loud enough, and you can play along to backingtracks through the same speakers.
Hope this helps you
RB

Technically, all the tube amp warmth and realism is already in the Axe-Fx. From an idealistic standpoint, whatever you put after it should be as FRFR as possible. Studio monitors fit the bill in that regard and you'd be able to use cab sims. It's not gonna feel like a 4x12 breathing fire next to you, but you said you're playing in your home, so a ~50W studio monitor is more than plenty for that application.

Studio monitors

Ok guys, thanks for opening my eyes to a good alternative. So y'all think that a set of good studio monitors will give me the best sound posible for home recording and will not sound digital? And you think they will be a better alternative to buying an Atomic Reactor cabinet? I will start researching those monitors tonight. Sorry for the newby questions, I'm just scared to death I'm going to drop $2200 on the Axe Fx and $1000 on speakers and it's going to sound digital. Thanks for opening my eyes to all of these other options. This forum is the best!

If your looking at studio monitors definitely check out the Focals. I have the CMS 65's that to me beat anything in the price range hands down for sound quality! also look at the CMS 50's a slighty less expensive option!
But there are alot of decent choices out there!

Cms 50 have enough bottom end?

Since y'all brought up the CMS's I was wondering if the CMS 50's had enough bottom end, or should I go with the CMS 65's? I definitly do not want boomy. I'm in a converted bedroom that is about 11x10 and I can either put the speakers on a desk or on stands in the corners. Either case the speakers will be within a couple of inches of the wall. I'm clueless when it comes to monitors. Thanks for the help.

Ok guys, thanks for opening my eyes to a good alternative. So y'all think that a set of good studio monitors will give me the best sound posible for home recording and will not sound digital? And you think they will be a better alternative to buying an Atomic Reactor cabinet? I will start researching those monitors tonight. Sorry for the newby questions, I'm just scared to death I'm going to drop $2200 on the Axe Fx and $1000 on speakers and it's going to sound digital. Thanks for opening my eyes to all of these other options. This forum is the best!

To be honest with you, if you want a really guitar-centric "tube" sound.. I dont suggest studio monitors/etc.. When my friend brought his Axe-FX rig over, he brought two poweramps; a Carvin TS100 (tube) and a Carvin DCM1540L (flat SS), and the tube TS100 thru a guitar 4x12 was the far and away winner to me. I truely think all modelling is not quite there yet where tubes can be totally bypassed, at least power tubes are needed IMO.. Maybe the Axe-FX II's new technology changes that though.. (this is assuming you want a familiar guitar rig.. FRFR is for guys who want hi-fi studio sound)

So i'd suggest at the least, go with the Atomic/Fractal powered monitor.. if not, maybe a tube poweramp and even a guitar 4x12 if you have room. That would get you the most familiar tone if you come from a long line of tube amps. The FRFR choices are still good and very clear and defined, but its a different taste if you are expecting it to sound like a real guitar amp

Last edited:

No, I would not agree.

I would agree with the studio monitors at home.

Grrrrrr

That's what i'm worried about. I've owned nothing but tube amps for many years, but I want the versatility of the Axe Fx. I want it to sound as close to the real deal as possible because i hate that digital sound. I've tried the Line6 and Digitech crap and i just can't go there, but I thought I would give the Axe a try because it sounds amazing on youtube and all of the clips I'm hearing. I'm just trying to decide the best setup for my ears. My cousin is bringing his new Axe Fx Ultra over next week and he just bought an Atomic Wedge. I can't wait to hear it. I just met another guy with an Ultra and he has some Yamaha monitors. I should be able to make a decision by listening to both. Also I'm going to get the Axe Fx II so it should be even better. I'll write back in a couple of weeks after I hear both.

Ratt,

One big advice: do not let your fear or your brain decide! Organise it in a way you can test the adviced gear in home or in a relexed enviroment. LET YOUR EARS DECIDE!

Ratt,

I'm curious to hear what you decide. I have the same question - studio monitors, power amp/speaker, or Atomic Amp if I'm using the Axe Fx at home? I'm also only concerned with what would sound absolutely best... seems like most folks are recommending studio monitors but if you are any others have a strong opinion I'd love to hear it! Thanks.

Since y'all brought up the CMS's I was wondering if the CMS 50's had enough bottom end, or should I go with the CMS 65's? I definitly do not want boomy. I'm in a converted bedroom that is about 11x10 and I can either put the speakers on a desk or on stands in the corners. Either case the speakers will be within a couple of inches of the wall. I'm clueless when it comes to monitors. Thanks for the help.

The 65's are not boomy in the slightest..the bass response is phenomenal for the size of the monitors! I have never heard the 50's but the reviews for them are exceptional, i originally had the Atomic, and just didn't gel with it one little bit..some guys love them others don't, it's what will suit you best for your ears and needs, but for clarity the Focal are hard to beat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom