Best 7 String Dropped Tuning Style Axe??

joe1871

Inspired
Hey Guys,

I am a very old and traditional player, but I have always wanteed a nice 7 string to play a la Misha Mansoor or any other of a long list of killer players that are playing dropped tuning heavy "metalesque" fusion sounding stuff. I don't even know who else is playing it, but Misha or Tosin - those kind of guys.

I don't need an heirloom guitar - not looking for a PRS or Suhr , meaning a > $3000 axe, but I would spend ~$2 grand or so on a nice new or slightly used axe. I know many folks use Ibanez. I have never understood Ibanez models - RG vs. Prestige etc. What is a good model from Ibanez - which of their myriad bridges is the best one, etc? What are you guys using?

I have lots of guitars - but the vast majority are more traditional axes - Gibson and Fender, Strats and LPs. I have a gorgeous 335, etc. But I also have a Suhr Custom, a PRS CU 24, and a EBMM JP BFR yadda yadda. All fantastic guitars, but I want a 7 string. What would you recommend?

Thanks all - very much appreciate the help.

JB

You're barking up the right tree with Ibanez. I have an S7420FM with the EZ7 bridge that I like a lot.

I just bought a Jackson Soloist SL7 and love it. I’ve been playing PRS CE 24’s mostly for the past 15 years. I found the transition easy even though the neck is wider and the scale is slightly longer. I am impressed with the fit and finish on the Soloist and would recommend it. I also like the Schecter Hellraiser C 7. I went with the Jackson because my fingers felt at home with it (probably because my main steed prior to the PRS was a Jackson USA soloist SL2H which I regret selling).

I like the KM-7 a lot for a very reasonable price. It's not my Suhr, but it's a great guitar all the same. I've found it can be a little troublesome to find a really good 7 string where the pickups and guitar are dialed in to provide the right tonal balance across the spectrum. The KM-7 is a little prog-biased in that regard but it's really good.

Honestly I have tried all kinds of 7's over the past 12 to 14 years.......... for the money, consistency, and well rounded guitar is a music man jp'7. I own 3!

Back
Top Bottom