Behringer x32 Producer or Allen and Heath Qu-16

Keg8605

Power User
With some of the new updates to both of these mixers I was curious of any updated opinions on these two mixers. The Qu now has the Qu-You app which is definitely a plus for A & H.

Decided to go for the X32 Producer for our in-ear rack. Basically the only drawback I found myself wanting from the Qu 16 was the ability to record direct to usb Hard Drive. With the Behringer I will need my mac to record and then playback for a virtual sound check. Otherwise the Behringer has more features: More inputs/outputs, more effects, seem to like the apps better, $500 cheaper than the A & H, and the ability to add the S 16 snake for a full 32 inputs. I did order it from Sweetwater so I have 30 days to check it out too.

As I said my use is for multiple- stereo in ear monitoring. Occasionally it will be used for FOH as well.

Thoughts?

I have the xrack and I love it.
Never used the A&H.

Recording to laptop works great with behringer.
I also think their app is the best. I've downloaded and tried all the apps and behringer really did a great job with it.

We have the x32 board, digital snake and 7 personal monitors. We are using the board for front of house and each personal monitor including one personal monitor station connected to two floor monitors, are mixed on the stage. Been using this system for almost two years with out a hitch. I have used the aviom stuff and the behringer personal monitor stations sound just as good for a fraction of the cost.

After much deliberation, live side by side trials and many hours watching videos, reading reviews, reading manuals and researching..... I chose X32 over all other offerings.

To be honest. I have not used my X32 producer without my laptop at the same time so the whole multitrack recording thing is not a set back for me.

Behringer. I'm not sure that Allen & Heath sorted this out, but I recall there being a question about the QU series lacking Sub Groups and VCA Groups. Hard to go against Behringer IMHO. They did their homework and have a winner with the X32 series.

See I'm not totally sure if I will utilize all of the features of the x32 anyways. I don't know that I will use Sub Groups and I don't know what VCA groups are yet. But if it's anything similar to the axe, I had no idea I'd use a ton of the stuff in the axe either. I definitely have some learning to do.

Supposedly they are still working on a card or something so that you could record direct to usb hard drive. Like I said that seemed to be the only feature the x32 was missing. Would be nice to not need a laptop for that. Still I'm glad to hear all of the good opinions/experiences with the x32. I would also agree the behringer apps seem to be designed the best as well.

I'm excited to dive in and get it set.

See I'm not totally sure if I will utilize all of the features of the x32 anyways. I don't know that I will use Sub Groups and I don't know what VCA groups are yet. But if it's anything similar to the axe, I had no idea I'd use a ton of the stuff in the axe either. I definitely have some learning to do.

You will get it quick:

Thanks Levipeto, I've been searching for more videos. Been watching a lot of the webinars they have done too. Be really cool if there was a basic settings download for stereo in ears that I could just load and pretty much start with. I have a gig saturday but don't think its wise to use this just yet.

Supposedly they are still working on a card or something so that you could record direct to usb hard drive. Like I said that seemed to be the only feature the x32 was missing. Would be nice to not need a laptop for that. Still I'm glad to hear all of the good opinions/experiences with the x32. I would also agree the behringer apps seem to be designed the best as well.

I'm excited to dive in and get it set.

My layman's explanation (because I am a layman) - VCA groups: assign a bunch of channels to a VCA group. The VCA group now controls the volume for just those channels/faders (relative to how those faders are already set). It's like taking your hand and moving all of those faders up and down at the same time. (they don't really move, just trying to give a visual of what the affect is).

Matrix outputs are my favorite thing in the X32 (that I never though I would need).
If you send your main mix to all of the Matrix Busses, it would be like if your Axe FX had 6 individual outputs, and for each of those outputs, you could apply a seperate Eq or Crossover, etc. And adjust the volume of each of the outputs individually.

For my use, I send my Main mix to all of the Matrix Outputs, but I really only use 3 of them.
I send one Matrix output (again, which is my main mix) to my Subwoofers (and I apply a crossover).
I send another Matrix output to my Tops (with a crossover applied, and some Eq).
I send another Matrix output to some side fills (and again, have a seperate Eq and Crossover).

So I have 3 unique outputs, all with the same mix, but different Eq/Crossover...and they all have their own volume fader, so I can balance my system very easily (if the subs are not loud enough, etc.)

Awesome, thanks. That makes more sense now. Thanks for putting it into Layman's terms. I appreciate all of the help from everyone. Beginning to wrap my head around somethings at least. Ive been playing around with the software. Probably wont have any hands on time with it until next week. It arrived today at my brother/ other guitarists house since that's where we keep the in ear.

One question I could use some help with is regarding my mixbusses for the stereo in ear feeds. Thoughts on where I should tap these? I currently thought prefader +M. Compression and EQ on the channels for the in-ear feeds seems like a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom