Behringer A500 Power Amplifier--any thoughts?

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
Hi guys, I know Behringer is disparaged a lot but for just a home bedroom player small room looking to pump the Axe 2 into an Avatar 2x12 for some fun; thoughts? Is there a huge difference in power amps for very HEAVY metal playing all styles?

Im normally, and still thrilled with my FRFR ev live x, but thought Id test the old fashion amp cab out, without blowing big bucks, eg used under $150 or so. Of course thoughts on crown, peavey, qsc welcome, thanks!

Behringer: REFERENCE AMPLIFIER A500

View attachment 19820

I'd find something else in the price range, every single behringer product I ever foolishly bought broke far short of it's expected lifespan!

except for the midi controller, That thing surprises me often.

I'd look for an old boat anchor type power amp used, if it's only for yucks at home, and there's no regular transport issues. You'd be amazed at how good some of the older Crown or Crest power amps sound compared to the modern lightweight Class D du jour gear, but they can weigh 50-90lbs, so they are considered totally obsolete for most practical use by many. If you can find a Crown DC-300, PSA-2 or Crest 3001/3501 or the like in good shape for cheap money, JUMP ON IT. They are built like tanks and will last forever if treated right.

Otherwise, you're rolling the dice with many Behringer products. If you're up for the gamble, if the price is right, go for it. Just hope you don't get a lemon.

I'd look for an old boat anchor type power amp used, if it's only for yucks at home, and there's no regular transport issues. You'd be amazed at how good some of the older Crown or Crest power amps sound compared to the modern lightweight Class D du jour gear, but they can weigh 50-90lbs, so they are considered totally obsolete for most practical use by many. If you can find a Crown DC-300, PSA-2 or Crest 3001/3501 or the like in good shape for cheap money, JUMP ON IT. They are built like tanks and will last forever if treated right.

Otherwise, you're rolling the dice with many Behringer products. If you're up for the gamble, if the price is right, go for it. Just hope you don't get a lemon.

*THIS*

If it's at home, look for an old Crown, QSC, Ashley.

I found a rack full of olf Ashley MFA8000's on Craigslist once. They are absolute anchors, and are the most crushing power amps I've ever used.
Can't gig with them (although, I did), but you can rack them at home and be SUPER happy.
I think we paid $100 each for the Ashley's....and they came in a 14 space rack case.

Back
Top Bottom