Behold, the power of EQ matched IR...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
I rerecorded all of the rhythm guitars and the solos using my Axe FX II and a custom EQ matched IR to get James' heavy as all hell rhythm sound. The master stems that I used had rhythm guitar on the vocal channel during the choruses. So at that point you are hearing me and James' guitars. Also the vocal channel has the eerie melodic guitars during the chorus as well. The solos didn't come out too great. I'm out of practice and I was really tired too. I've also noticed that the single note parts sound kind of thin. WHich means one of two things...

1. They EQ'd them differently... Very likely.

2. I 'snapshotted' the main riff. Daaaaaah, dunt dunt. To make sure I get that nice tight low end. This is different than the single note stuff that is also not palm muted. The matching process does not capture dynamics. Perhaps if I compressed my preset a bit it would tighten up the low end on the single note parts.

I think I played the rhythm parts pretty awesome btw!!! I used 4 tracks. Two guitars in the left and two in the right. HUGENESS!!! I still cannot believe that it sounds THIS good. I mean there are some parts I can totally tell its me playing but other parts are nearly indistinguishable. IMHO.

Other than that, (pardon my expression) but this makes my balls hurt. It is SOOOOOO frickin' satisfying playing with this tone. I even need to change my strings too. It STILL sounds amazing!!! I LOVE OZONE 5!!!!

for mobile users

But Truely Sad by shotgunn on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I had to change the name in hopes that soundcloud won't remove it due to copyright issues.

I am going to offer my EQ matching as a service for those who are interested. If this doesn't violate any forum rules... PM me for details. I'll share this IR and preset later.

Attachments

• Sade But True Sweep 3_dc.syx.syx.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Sad But True Lead Sweep_dc.syx.syx.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Sad But True.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Sad But True Lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Spot on! Good work. I played around with it a bit and was wanting to try to translate the matched EQ curve to some PEQ blocks rather than using a cab block since I like using 2 cab blocks in my patches, but haven't had much luck with that.

Using PEQ's will not work. It might get you in the vicinity. There is waaaay too much shaping going on due to the vast differences in our setups. (ours, meaning Bob Rock's and any of our rigs...) From what I've read they used up to 12 mics some close, some a couple feet away for the rhythm sound on this album. They blended them in such a way that they would intentionally cancel or accentuate certain frequencies. I suppose you could get close if you used all 4 PEQ's. For me I'd rather just use the matched IR. Call it cheating (not saying you did... Part of me feel as though I'm cheating. very small parts of me that is... LOL!!!) or whatever, but man this is LITERALLY a dream come true. I have lusted after this guitar tone since I was 13 years old. As of matter of fact, hearing this guitar sound/riff is what made me NEED to learn to play the guitar. This song changed my life.

Anyway, thanx for the kind words guys!!!

yup... thats fn nice!!! It would be nice to be able to get the quad track sound on stage. Maybe something for the wish list... cliff????

AWESOME. Sounds really good and close to the original. I think the tone of the solos is great... totally blends in with the rest of the guitars.

Btw, what's the bass track? Sounds huge (and grindy!) and really adds to the guitar tone w/o just being the low end of the guitars.

Nice job Shotgunn.

On a related note: There is a method to combine matched EQ IR and cab block IR into one single "super IR" so you don't have to worry about running out of cab resources.

Also, there's a faster and easier method to get the IR than deconvolution via Voxengo.

I will try to do a tutorial video this weekend if I can resist watching nfl playoffs for an hour or two :).

Nice job Shotgunn.

On a related note: There is a method to combine matched EQ IR and cab block IR into one single "super IR" so you don't have to worry about running out of cab resources.

Also, there's a faster and easier method to get the IR than deconvolution via Voxengo.

I will try to do a tutorial video this weekend if I can resist watching nfl playoffs for an hour or two :).

Please do so! plz plz plz plz :). Im sick of using all that voxengo and ozone stuff. Does it have something to do with the IR Capture Tool in the Axe?

@shotgunn: killer!

Nice job Shotgunn.

Why wait when you can do it now? :twisted

Do it Adam! :D

Shotgunn man, that is seriously one of the most awesome tones out there, and I think you nailed it pretty much spot on! ;)

Possibly the closest matched tone I've heard thus far....

The bass track what Jason originally played in the studio. These are master stems from the actual album. James recorded what I believe is a baritone tuned an octave lower the D standard just on the Daaaaaah, dunt dunt parts. This can be seen in the 'A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica' video. On the stems I have they mixed it in on the bass track, but I know it was James' guitar. It frickin growls man!!! They actually detuned the very last note of the song on all the guitars, the bass, and the baritone guitar. Ballz man!!!

AWESOME. Sounds really good and close to the original. I think the tone of the solos is great... totally blends in with the rest of the guitars.

Btw, what's the bass track? Sounds huge (and grindy!) and really adds to the guitar tone w/o just being the low end of the guitars.

Cool. Does it involve outputting the Sweep tone directly into the Axe II and capturing the IR using the II's IR capture feature? I use my II as my main interface. As far as I know, there is not a way for me to do this with my II being my only interface. I still have my 002, but I refuse to hook it up. It would be nice to avoid the Voxengo step though. Although it seems to be essential since Ozone over compensates the 10kHz and above region. I have tried filtering my sweep as I'm bouncing from PT 9. None of my filters have a steep enough response. They are all too gentle and some introduce that hump just before the cutoff frequency. This throws off the entire IR process for me. For me the Voxengo Hi and Low Pass filtering is perfect. more than 96dB/octave. After I run it through that, I check the frequency plot in the Axe IR Converter App. Then I test it with my rig. It sounds MUCH better.

I'd still be interested in your video though. More options are always cool.

Thanx!!!

Nice job Shotgunn.

I rerecorded all of the heavy rhythm guitars. I used 4 tracks and 4 takes, 2 left and 2 right. On my stems the rhythm guitars move to the Vocal track. So rather than mute the vocals so only my guitars can be heard I left it in. Also during the chorus there is a melody playing that loosely matches the melody of the heavy guitars this is the original recording. Then, also during the chorus there are the really high 'eerie' guitars. These were also mixed into the vocal track. I did not record those.

Basically you are hearing my IR on the heavy rhythms throughout the entire song. Then joined by James' heavy rhythm during the chorus'. The solos were both recorded by me as well.

Shotgunn I'm a little unclear, which guitars are yours and which are the originals?

Thanx dude!!! It is actually a dream come true for me. I think a touch of compression should fill out the single notes a bit. That being said... I don't think I am going to spend much more time on this. As cool as it is I have some stuff that I need to get together as a musician. For instance, programming my II getting a variety of different quality sounds at unity gain (HURRY UP WITH THAT DANG VIDEO SCOTT!!!!) and finishing up a song I've been writing and recording since around Thanxgiving.

Do it Adam! :D

Shotgunn man, that is seriously one of the most awesome tones out there, and I think you nailed it pretty much spot on! ;)

Possibly the closest matched tone I've heard thus far....

Back
Top Bottom