Beginners first impressions of the FM3

drnat

Inspired
Firstly, thanks for all the help in my previous thread, that turned into a problem solving for the screen issue on my FM3.

So, had an evening playing with the unit & thought I’d share some first impressions:

The stock presets are much better than other units, though I’d want to adjust them all to my taste - mainly adding high & low cuts etc.
There are SO many to try & will takes a long time to get through them all.

Had a go at making a basic preset - this seems relatively easy to do & was able to get some good tones, evan as a beginner. The adjustments seem to act as you would expect and are useful for shaping your tone. Need to go through the cabs to find some favourites. Again SO many amps to play with and for me, wasn’t always easy to work out which amps they were modelled on.

The tone is much easier to shape than the Helix or Headrush that I’ve tried and was able to dial it in reasonably well. I have a lot to learn re how tube amps & cabs work in real life. I think my headphones are a limiting factor but are OK for now - will upgrade. There are a lifetime of tones in here!! May detract from me actually learning guitar though! I really liked the Soldano 100 preset….nice clean & overdriven tones & used this as the basis for my first proper preset.

The looper is good, and like the fact that you can trim the beginning & end of the loop - cool for me!

UI: The FM3-Edit is easy to use for doing basic presets. Think it will take a bit longer to learn to more advanced stuff like adjusting FCs & controllers etc. The front panel is relatively easy to use, though the switching & dials are not intuitive - esp with the use of the main big know (not sure what it’s official title is!). However, it is easy to work out, even if have to think about it. I did manage to delete all the footswitch configurations, but was eventually able to re-load them via the front panel, so pleased with that.

Form-factor: It is still a relatively large unit and I have it on my desk so I can adjust things and programme it - may be best to move it to the floor & use FM3-Edit, one the volume is set, can manage not to need to use the device itself I guess. I have sciatica due to a herniated disc, so bending is very painful for me. Wonder if having the rack on my desk would be better, with the switches on the floor & a computer sat on top of the device??

USB audio: As a beginner I am using some apps to help - these are all iPad based. When the iPad is connected I can’t adjust the volume from my device, so I have to go menu diving to get to the USB volume which is a pain. Not all the apps I use are available on the Mac - this may be better when I upgrade to an apple silicon Mac that can run iOS apps? FracPad may be a solution if I can adjust performance page parameters from it. I couldn’t get my BT MIDI adapter to work yesterday, so can’t test this yet.

Headphone playing: I have been using the Waza-air for playing recently which is fun, but also limiting. I can’t use a looper with it & editing & swapping presets is not great. Not tried the waza-air with the FM3 yet, will do. Not so keen on being tethered to a wire, but not sure there is a great solution to that, at least not without spending a lot of money or sacrificing stereo? Otherwise, sound wise is fine.

Definitely a better start tone wise than the other units I’ve tried, but a steep learning curve re modellers in general for me!!

Not sure if I would prefer an FM9 for quicker changes or an FX III for better separation of unit and switches - will see how my thinking goes on this.

Can’t wait to play some more tonight!

Great review! As I wrote, take your time, discover the factory presets and study how they have been built. Then dive into your own sound.
And most important: use/read/study the manual and remember that FAS community is here to help.

For your sciatica; I recommend getting a nice music stand so it can be in front of you at a comfortable angle for desk-side editing; much better than being on a desk if you don't need to stomp on the switches. This is what I do. I have the power cable and USB cable draped nearby and extra cables at my rehearsal space and with my band's gear so I only ever have to just unplug it to move it and when I bring it back, just plug the cables back in instead of unplugging and wrapping cables and taking everything with me everywhere I go.

Another option would be to get an FC6 so you have the best of both worlds; controls at your fingertips and foot switches on the floor.

For your sciatica; I recommend getting a nice music stand so it can be in front of you at a comfortable angle for desk-side editing; much better than being on a desk if you don't need to stomp on the switches. This is what I do. I have the power cable and USB cable draped nearby and extra cables at my rehearsal space and with my band's gear so I only ever have to just unplug it to move it and when I bring it back, just plug the cables back in instead of unplugging and wrapping cables and taking everything with me everywhere I go.

Another option would be to get an FC6 so you have the best of both worlds; controls at your fingertips and foot switches on the floor.
Thanks @Ugly Bunny Good idea re a music stand….
I have the FC6 but haven’t unboxed it yet, in case when I send the FM3 back I may change it to an FX III with FC12!!!

I see an axe fx 3 in your future 😜
Thanks
Pauly

Firstly, thanks for all the help in my previous thread, that turned into a problem solving for the screen issue on my FM3.

So, had an evening playing with the unit & thought I’d share some first impressions:

The stock presets are much better than other units, though I’d want to adjust them all to my taste - mainly adding high & low cuts etc.
There are SO many to try & will takes a long time to get through them all.

Had a go at making a basic preset - this seems relatively easy to do & was able to get some good tones, evan as a beginner. The adjustments seem to act as you would expect and are useful for shaping your tone. Need to go through the cabs to find some favourites. Again SO many amps to play with and for me, wasn’t always easy to work out which amps they were modelled on.

The tone is much easier to shape than the Helix or Headrush that I’ve tried and was able to dial it in reasonably well. I have a lot to learn re how tube amps & cabs work in real life. I think my headphones are a limiting factor but are OK for now - will upgrade. There are a lifetime of tones in here!! May detract from me actually learning guitar though! I really liked the Soldano 100 preset….nice clean & overdriven tones & used this as the basis for my first proper preset.

The looper is good, and like the fact that you can trim the beginning & end of the loop - cool for me!

UI: The FM3-Edit is easy to use for doing basic presets. Think it will take a bit longer to learn to more advanced stuff like adjusting FCs & controllers etc. The front panel is relatively easy to use, though the switching & dials are not intuitive - esp with the use of the main big know (not sure what it’s official title is!). However, it is easy to work out, even if have to think about it. I did manage to delete all the footswitch configurations, but was eventually able to re-load them via the front panel, so pleased with that.

Form-factor: It is still a relatively large unit and I have it on my desk so I can adjust things and programme it - may be best to move it to the floor & use FM3-Edit, one the volume is set, can manage not to need to use the device itself I guess. I have sciatica due to a herniated disc, so bending is very painful for me. Wonder if having the rack on my desk would be better, with the switches on the floor & a computer sat on top of the device??

USB audio: As a beginner I am using some apps to help - these are all iPad based. When the iPad is connected I can’t adjust the volume from my device, so I have to go menu diving to get to the USB volume which is a pain. Not all the apps I use are available on the Mac - this may be better when I upgrade to an apple silicon Mac that can run iOS apps? FracPad may be a solution if I can adjust performance page parameters from it. I couldn’t get my BT MIDI adapter to work yesterday, so can’t test this yet.

Headphone playing: I have been using the Waza-air for playing recently which is fun, but also limiting. I can’t use a looper with it & editing & swapping presets is not great. Not tried the waza-air with the FM3 yet, will do. Not so keen on being tethered to a wire, but not sure there is a great solution to that, at least not without spending a lot of money or sacrificing stereo? Otherwise, sound wise is fine.

Definitely a better start tone wise than the other units I’ve tried, but a steep learning curve re modellers in general for me!!

Not sure if I would prefer an FM9 for quicker changes or an FX III for better separation of unit and switches - will see how my thinking goes on this.

Can’t wait to play some more tonight!

Thanks @Ugly Bunny Good idea re a music stand….
I have the FC6 but haven’t unboxed it yet, in case when I send the FM3 back I may change it to an FX III with FC12!!!
Oh man. Yeah, for the home hobbyist, that would be the best. I literally ONLY have the FM3 because I needed something more portable and convenient for my professional gig where the unit fits nicely under my keyboard stand on stage. I have the Axe III and FC6 for home, but I kinda want the FC12 for home, although I find when I'm actually at home, I end up playing my FM3 almost exclusively since I'm working on presets for the band.

But that would be the best, if space and finances permit. I say go for it :)

Getting Mac with M1 may or may not allow you to use your IOS apps. There are only a small percentage that allow it in a normal app store way. There are workarounds I’ve read about, but I haven’t tried any. The Moog stuff works on M1 and IReal works which is a fantastic practice app.

Getting Mac with M1 may or may not allow you to use your IOS apps. There are only a small percentage that allow it in a normal app store way. There are workarounds I’ve read about, but I haven’t tried any. The Moog stuff works on M1 and IReal works which is a fantastic practice app.
My youngest son has an M1 MBP and i tried a few of the apps i use, and they all worked really well!

Hi what did you find out was the issue with your FM3 screen ? thanks and have fun

Sorry to hear about sciatica I have it for over 35 years - bit better since getting 2 shots in tailbone one on each side - that was the most pain I ever had to deal with - was horrible but worth it in the end - its terrible way to live :(

The stock presets are much better than other units

Had a go at making a basic preset - this seems relatively easy to do & was able to get some good tones, even as a beginner.

The tone is much easier to shape than the Helix or Headrush

FM3-Edit is easy to use
Thank you for these compliments. An honest review is so rewarding to read.

Hi what did you find out was the issue with your FM3 screen ? thanks and have fun

Sorry to hear about sciatica I have it for over 35 years - bit better since getting 2 shots in tailbone one on each side - that was the most pain I ever had to deal with - was horrible but worth it in the end - its terrible way to live :(
Screen is still flickering - internal ribbon may not be connected properly? Will need to go back i think
Yep, a herniated disc causing sciatica ain’t fun! Never cried myself to sleep in pain before, and I’ve a high pain threshold. Been easier to cope with post injection. Got me back into guitar though, but have had to give up sim racing, which was my other passion….!!
Hope your back stays as good as possible 🤞

Enjoyed reading your first impressions, great post! About this part:

This is something I wish more people (especially those that haven't tried current FA units) would understand. You can very easily lay out a basic preset just like you would a pedalboard and get great tones. Start by limiting yourself to every block's main parameter tab like you would with real pedals/amps.

No need to deep dive until you really start need that last 1-5% (ie.- "this TS9 sounds great, but I wish it had a little more..." or "I love this amp tone, but it needs a little more sag/squish/etc"). Some people get intimidated by how "difficult" the past FA units were, but this current gen, especially post Cygnus, make it very quick and easy to get great tones without the need to touch any advanced parameters.

Screen is still flickering - internal ribbon may not be connected properly? Will need to go back i think
Yep, a herniated disc causing sciatica ain’t fun! Never cried myself to sleep in pain before, and I’ve a high pain threshold. Been easier to cope with post injection. Got me back into guitar though, but have had to give up sim racing, which was my other passion….!!

Not typical of Fractal to have issues. I'm confident they'll take care of you.

Could you just sit the FM3 on the ground with USB connected to the computer on your desk? Basically same as your idea to put AXE III on desk with computer on top, except much much cheaper.

The FM3 has plenty for you as a beginner - focus on playing, don't worry about the device. Resist the urge to tweak tones to death!

also - see the FM3 Wiki page (google it) which will describe what the amp models are derived from.

Some people get intimidated by how "difficult" the past FA units were, but this current gen, especially post Cygnus, make it very quick and easy to get great tones without the need to touch any advanced parameters.

This. Ares was a big step in that direction, but Cygnus is awesome out of the box.... I remember having to mess with some advanced amp (negative feedback maybe?) settings pre-Ares (AFX II, AX8) on every single amp I was dialing in, but not anymore.

Hi thanks much :) I understand what your going thru and wish you the best - makes every day chores unbearable

Try this helps me Dayquil severe cold and flu - solid orange pill take one usually last about 6 to 8 hours - prefer over liquid version - takes the edge of sciatica - tried it for a cold and found it helped with sciatica - weird but works :)

Good luck with what unit you choose I found AXE III way faster operating system to do all the chores and some disagree but I found it to sound better

I enjoy sim racing and mostly flight sim but since AXE arrived I havent been doing any simming just enjoying practicing and getting better at guitar - its a never ending learning process

I've been playing guitar for 15 years and have a ton more to learn - its a long haul and very frustrating but when it starts to make sense its very rewarding

I played drums my first instrument for 35 years and thats nothing compared to playing guitar :)

Last edited:
Not typical of Fractal to have issues. I'm confident they'll take care of you.

Could you just sit the FM3 on the ground with USB connected to the computer on your desk? Basically same as your idea to put AXE III on desk with computer on top, except much much cheaper.

The FM3 has plenty for you as a beginner - focus on playing, don't worry about the device. Resist the urge to tweak tones to death!

also - see the FM3 Wiki page (google it) which will describe what the amp models are derived from.
Thanks, the main reason for contemplating swapping is the speed of scene changes and dual amps. Prefer to have the unit in front of me, so I can try to use the physical knobs to change the performance page settings if needed - esp volumes.
Still playing before I make my decision - classic first world issue lol!!

Thanks, the main reason for contemplating swapping is the speed of scene changes and dual amps. Prefer to have the unit in front of me, so I can try to use the physical knobs to change the performance page settings if needed - esp volumes.
Still playing before I make my decision - classic first world issue lol!!
I'll be honest with you. If you are mostly enjoying at home, chances are, even with the III, you'll be using the edit program on your PC/Mac more so than the front panel.

The dual amp thing definitely sways people towards the III. My presets are very simple, and even when I had the II, I didn't dual amp. I did use the tone match function on the II a good bit, but with what I'm hearing so far, I don't think I'll miss it.

Back
Top Bottom