Beginner amp?

Dendrite

Inspired
So my 14yo son has been playing acoustic for just under 2 years and is going to change over to electric lessons. I’m going to be out of town for months, and my AX8 is on loan to a buddy while I’m gone. And honestly, I want him starting on an actual amp so he can learn the basics well.

The question is which amp? A Fender champion 20 is promising, blues jr, maybe. But then I think once I’m back I could borrow it too, so maybe step it up and get a Blackstar club, maybe a Sonzera. I do like the amps with wattage adjustments (otherwise his mom might go nuts!), and weight is also a concern- too heavy, he won’t want to take it anywhere.

Lots of options, just want to pick the brains of the good folks here. I’ve seen various posts over the years, but it seems my search-fu isn’t up to par today. Totally a backwards post from the standard “leaving amps, going FAS”. Thanks all!

A friend really likes this as a basic amp with some built in effects - Fender Super Champ X2
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...per-champ-x2-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

If I'm not mistaken here's our buddy Fremen playing it's predecessor the XD. The X2 is newer version with more reliable DSP for effects (mixed X2 reviews online - what else is new) and is software tweakable unlike the XD.

(a lot of that tone is probably in Fremen's fingers but still....)

I'm very impressed with the Vox Pathfinder 15r. Great tone for such a small amp. Solid state so it's light and sounds great miked into a PA.

A few choices. Orange Crush RT 35. Has a clean and dirty channel and an effects send/return. A little Fender as has been suggested. Vox or Blackstar.

Thanks for the thoughts. Now I’m leaning toward a little blackstar HT1R, but I’m gonna keep thinking about it for a couple days before I pull the trigger. 1W through a 1x8 at 13lbs sounds great, and would keep my wife happy. As long as the tones are reasonable...

Back
Top Bottom