Before I pull the trigger...

I did see a "good as new" Axe FX III stardard on Reverb for about 1800 USD, but i don't have the money for it yet, if it's still there by the time I have the money I'll get it
https://reverb.com/p/fractal-audio-...i9vM0xeJInTZf2ykRweCPqk6xwbUjIYMaAuAeEALw_wcB

and what studio monitors would you recommend?
Depends on your budget. Yamaha HS8 seem to get a lot of love on here.
I have Equator D5s and Mackie 828s.
There are plenty of great options. You can even take a walk into Guitar Center and listen to a bunch...

Last edited:
like a pair of these for example?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS8--yamaha-hs8-8-inch-powered-studio-monitor-black

also looks like Equator Audio's site is down, are they a thing anymore?
Look into the Kali monitors. Awesome bang for buck and sound really nice. I have the more expensive 3 ways (IN8) for my "near fields"

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--ActiveMon?highlight=LP8v2&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicpla

Of if you can swing it...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IN8v2--kali-audio-in-8-v2-8-inch-powered-studio-monitor

I have a treated room and use a small amount of eq to remove a slight room mode in the lows and a little boost for the drop off at 9khz with the IN8s. They translate perfectly for me. No going back and doing a mix a 2nd time.

Look into the Kali monitors. Awesome bang for buck and sound really nice. I have the more expensive 3 ways (IN8) for my "near fields"

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--ActiveMon?highlight=LP8v2&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicpla

Of if you can swing it...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IN8v2--kali-audio-in-8-v2-8-inch-powered-studio-monitor

I have a treated room and use a small amount of eq to remove a slight room mode in the lows and a little boost for the drop off at 9khz with the IN8s. They translate perfectly for me. No going back and doing a mix a 2nd time.
nice to have many inexpensive options!

For the Axe, honestly either unit will be fine. It’s important to understand that they sound exactly the same, it’s just that the mkII has a little extra trunk space and a cup holder. For rocking out with a great classic tone, or thrashing out some metal, you won’t notice any difference. Remember it’s for making music - we tend to get distracted by chip specs and forget that sometimes.

As for headphones or monitoring, be mindful that the axe will only sound as good as the speaker it’s going through. If you get cheaper phones, don’t be disheartened if it sounds bad at first- it’s not the axe! I was very disappointed at first because I was using poor quality monitors at low volume and it sounded like plop. Now I use Presonus Eris monitors - not expensive but “good enough”, and I TURN IT UP! 90db minimum. I also use Shure SE215 IEMs live, which are cheap and sound fine. There’s another option.

Personally I would go the mkII turbo just because, since it’s easier to upgrade your monitoring later than it is to upgrade the axe. But if you don’t think you’ll be able to save for better headphones later, the MkI is still a Ferrari and you will be perfectly happy with it. For example, I would have absolutely no use for the extra space in a mkII since I only use one preset, and I never get anywhere near the CPU limit.

I'm rooting for you Black Fox. IMO Axe FX 3 Mark 1 is more than enough power to get the job done. My preference is open headphones if you need to be silent. You will likely want to save and spend an equal amount on studio monitors for max satisfaction. It's worth it.

So i'm going to buy the Axe FX III next month, but I got two important questions, what would be the benefits of the Turbo vs the stock Axe FX III in practice, i.e. does 25% more clock speed really going to to help in most sisuations for a newbie like me?
And would wireless headphones like these be good enough till I get some proper active speakers like the Xitone active wedge?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ooth-closed-back-studio-monitoring-headphones

any helpful feedback would be useful!

I purchased an Axe-Fx III Mk II Turbo just a couple of months ago. The difference in price between the Turbo and non-Turbo models was negligible compared to the total cost of the Axe-Fx unit plus a FC12 and an EV1. My thought was that by going with the Turbo model the enhanced processing power would possibly provide an extra measure of future proofing. I love my Axe-Fx and you will too!

Neotek! Cool!
Yeah, I Love my Elan II. Had it for about 9 years and have made a few mods thanks to Mike and his help. I have the automation from the Elite in My Elan II, plus the Eq section has the 4 band with Q adjustments. I also added the 4 band EQ to the master section. I had 2 Teac 16 track 1" tape machines linked by smpte, until a couple of years ago (had both since they were new in the 80s). I had an SSL 4kG 56 channel and a Trident 80, and love the Elan. I can add color with any Mic pre I have (1073, API, Trident, UA, Urei, AMEK, Focusrite, etc.).

I'd get the Turbo if I was buying new again just because...Turbo.
That said admittedly I get nowhere near max CPU, like ever...

Save up for some HS8s. They sound amazing.

Well i'll get the turbo next month and I got enough left for some nice headphones, then i'll work on saving up for some nice studio monitors, but... do I need a subwoofer included with a pair of studio monitors?

Well i'll get the turbo next month and I got enough left for some nice headphones, then i'll work on saving up for some nice studio monitors, but... do I need a subwoofer included with a pair of studio monitors?
Depending on which monitors and your room and treatment, you might want them. I would try without first.

I have never used a sub to mix with in 40 years, so YMMV.

There was a spirited debate a while back about the use for subwoofers for guitar. My feeling is “LOL no”. Most(?) users usually cut anything below 80Hz at least - why amplify signal that’s not there? Then it depends whether you’re playing with a band or not.

There was a spirited debate a while back about the use for subwoofers for guitar. My feeling is “LOL no”. Most(?) users usually cut anything below 80Hz at least - why amplify signal that’s not there? Then it depends whether you’re playing with a band or not.
ok, I really have no idea what the hertz are for guitars, so I was admitly clueless on this, hence why I asked about the subwoofers, but yeah 80Hz does not seem like it would ever been needed for guitars, but, I wonder what it would be for bass guitars?

ok, I really have no idea what the hertz are for guitars, so I was admitly clueless on this, hence why I asked about the subwoofers, but yeah 80Hz does not seem like it would ever been needed for guitars, but, I wonder what it would be for bass guitars?
Just get a set of monitors that are flat down to about 45-50hz and start to roll off from there. Most decent 6" - 8" monitors can easily do that nowadays. The Kali LP6 fit this bill, so do several others. The Yamaha HS8s are popular, however they can be tough to use. They are bright and very midrange heavy. If you can afford them the Neumann 6" are nice, but so are the Adam A7x. I feel the Adam's are too bright for me, but lots of people love them. The Neumann are the KH120 and they are very nice and roll off at 52hz and are 5.25 inch woofers.

Here is the graph for the Kali LP6 and LP8, for reference
Kali-Audio-LP-6-V2-vs-LP-8-V2-Frequency-Response-2021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom