Bedroom rehearsal idea...

Ray Owens

Hey guys,

I may or may not have invented a new way of rehearsing but I have an idea I need verification as to what gear I would need, how I would do it etc. My idea was to have everybody in an ensemble playing through their individual heads along with a electric drum kit entering the the rear input of my Axe Fx XL, through a DAW, leveled, and then out the headphone input into a multi headphone splitter and then everybody plugs in headphones.

Would this work? Are there better ways of doing it

My aim is for everybody to be able to hear themselves whilst there is no external noise from amps or drums. We are on a tight budget along with having troublesome neighbors and are trying to come up with new innovative ways of rehearsing.

In your response, could you please keep high tech jargon to a minimum.

Thanks heaps guys!

My Suggestion would be the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with IPad and Auria App.
I use this Interface for my Band rehearsals in Combination with different In-Ear Systems, and it works flawlessly.
It has 8 analogue Inputs (very good Mic Preamps) & 1 spdif in/Out (which I use for my Axe FX )

It's possible to Save up to 4 different Monitor Mixes (Stereo) and Save the configuration to Hardware. so you have a latency Free DSP-Mix, without the Need of using additional Mixing Gear.
And if you want to use FX, the Auria App has Tons of High quality Fx like IR Reverbs, Compressors, EQs,...
And you can Record all of your rehearsals on 10 Tracks without the Need of additional Gear...

This Setup works Perfect for my Band, and we intended to use it live, because we are completely independent, when it comes to Monitormixing for live purposes.

Cheerioooo,
Andy From Red Bull Country

I may have invented a new way of rehearsing

no.gif

Definitely not new as the examples above show...

We've been using this live for years too - not JamHub, but DI'd processors and triggered drums into monitors. For the last 18 months, it's been exclusively in-ears too. It's called the 'Silent Stage' approach and is the future
thumbsup.gif

My Suggestion would be the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with IPad and Auria App.
I use this Interface for my Band rehearsals in Combination with different In-Ear Systems, and it works flawlessly.
It has 8 analogue Inputs (very good Mic Preamps) & 1 spdif in/Out (which I use for my Axe FX )

It's possible to Save up to 4 different Monitor Mixes (Stereo) and Save the configuration to Hardware. so you have a latency Free DSP-Mix, without the Need of using additional Mixing Gear.
And if you want to use FX, the Auria App has Tons of High quality Fx like IR Reverbs, Compressors, EQs,...
And you can Record all of your rehearsals on 10 Tracks without the Need of additional Gear...

This Setup works Perfect for my Band, and we intended to use it live, because we are completely independent, when it comes to Monitormixing for live purposes.

Cheerioooo,
Andy From Red Bull Country
I've been looking at a setup like this. How do you handle the headphone amplification?

I've used a jamhub since they came out. use it every week. for me there is no substitute. When we have new guys come over, a lot of them have a hard time when they can hear everything clearly for the first time. Lots of people use volume to cover mistakes.

Whenever I have to rehearse somewhere without the jamhub, it's usually a disaster of feedback, volume wars, and a sore voice the next day. For the money you cant beat the jamhub, some guys even use live for ear mixes.

Our Drummer is using One of the 2 Independent Headphones Preamps of the Interface, and my Bass Player and me are using Line Outs into our In-Ear Wireless Systems...

Jamhub is nice, but way too limited in it's function for what we need. As we don't have (and need) a keyboard player, many sequences including the clicktrack come from the iPad/Laptop as separate tracks.

The same category is the Presonus 1818 Audiobox, but IMHO the preamps of the Focusrite are a lill' more transparent and less noisy.

The thread title triggered me to take a look in here .... ;-)

Anyway, a band I'm playing in uses a Jamhub too. A couple of downsides but when dialed in well, it works great.

We use the Behringer X32 Rack with Presonus Headphone Amp for monitoring and FOH on all our gigs. A rough band mix is done and the sound guy just use an Ipad to mix the band without altering our monitoring... Every member has his/her own headphone mix... Peace is back in the band...

Here is a pic of the band gear :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4pyj8cudsg6net/photo.JPG

That is -exactly- the rig that I'm wanting to setup. Both the X32 Rack and Presonus HP60 are on my "saving for" list. :)

I hope, that the X18, a smaller, but also IPad-remoteable Device will be released this autuum....it will be about 599 $ ....

I hope, that the X18, a smaller, but also IPad-remoteable Device will be released this autuum....it will be about 599 $ ....

with built-in wireless! who knows how good and what the range would be, but not having to lug a router for this is such a smart idea.

i have the x32 rack already (and it really has been PRICELESS in almost every situation i've been in since i got it), but i may get an x18 for the hell of it at that price point.

with built-in wireless! who knows how good and what the range would be, but not having to lug a router for this is such a smart idea.

i have the x32 rack already (and it really has been PRICELESS in almost every situation i've been in since i got it), but i may get an x18 for the hell of it at that price point.

The x18 only has 6 AUX outputs. Does this mean that only 6 musicians can create their own mixes (without add. hardware)?

Back
Top Bottom