Bedroom level: best way?

Sine

Inspired
AXE FX2 / matrix gt1000fx / road king cab 4x12

So, which is the best way for bedroom practice volume? To put channel level on matrix down or output level on AXE?

Step one: go to your bedroom

Step two: plug in your guitar, into the axefx, into the amp

Step three: turn your speaker system amp on

Step four: proceed to play at bedroom volume

The matrix is just a super clean, flat sounding amp right? So adjusting the volume on the matrix shouldn't effect the tone. Lower the volume on the matrix until its as close to bedroom volume as you can get it and adjust the rest from the axe fx. You wont get the same 'knock' from the speakers being driven hard, but you can adjust that in the axe fx :) Then copy the preset you want to use to another available preset slot and then re-tweak the preset at the new low volume level to your tastes. You might need to boost the lows to make up for the natural loss of low end.

Start off with the Matrix at Noon and the Axe Output at 9:00.

Adjust your Axe preset (amp) level (not MV) down to desired volume.

Depending on amp (and amp gain settings) you might end up somewhere between -12 and -20db plus on the level.

You should have a pretty good bedroom tone there. If you need more juice up the Axe output to noon. -- if you need more -- adjust the Matrix up. etc.

Last edited:
I own both a nice set of studio monitors, and my Port City OS Wave 4x12 sits next to my recording desk as well. From my experience, don't bother with the 4x12 if you have neighbors. You'll get a better sound out of something like studio monitors at bedroom level. It blows the 4x12 out of the water tone wise. But at gig level, obviously the 4x12 kills.

Back
Top Bottom