Beato Book Interactive

@tealtonerick mentioned, "...instruments like both the piano and then a little differently to the guitar."

As I was watching and listening to the examples in the online version, I thought a sit down at the piano might be a better place for me to start. Truth is, whenever I need to figure out intervals, with few exceptions, my brain goes directly to the piano keyboard. It's much easier for my brain to "see" it. Maybe that just means I need more work on the fretboard, but that's where I am right now.

I may check it out. not too long ago I was hunting for some online/app teaching to keep me motivated in my playing. I kept seeing steve stine on Instagram and youtube so checked it out and signed up for a trial. Big big mistake as I got blasted with constant emails from an army of Stine followers all 'reminding me' to fully sign up etc. It was almost aggressive and it turned me off. Amazing player though.

I may check it out. not too long ago I was hunting for some online/app teaching to keep me motivated in my playing. I kept seeing steve stine on Instagram and youtube so checked it out and signed up for a trial. Big big mistake as I got blasted with constant emails from an army of Stine followers all 'reminding me' to fully sign up etc. It was almost aggressive and it turned me off. Amazing player though.

I don’t know if the book will keep you motivated in your playing. RB’s Instagram clips are good for that. His book seems to be a resource if you want to dig deeper.
Thanks for the heads up on Steve Stine. I like the free stuff on YouTube and will stick with that.

@tealtonerick mentioned, "...instruments like both the piano and then a little differently to the guitar."

As I was watching and listening to the examples in the online version, I thought a sit down at the piano might be a better place for me to start. Truth is, whenever I need to figure out intervals, with few exceptions, my brain goes directly to the piano keyboard. It's much easier for my brain to "see" it. Maybe that just means I need more work on the fretboard, but that's where I am right now.
Yeah the piano is very useful in that it is laid out in a linear fashion and so it's easy to see the 12 tones sequentially. The fretboard in standard tuning on the other hand is laid out basically according to the circle of fifths (with just a little twist on the guitar). So the combination of these instruments can really be useful when you start to see the guitar as a circle of fifths pattern machine.

Just going to buy this book. But having read your responses, I started thinking about whether this is what I need for learning.

Just going to buy this book. But having read your responses, I started thinking about whether this is what I need for learning.

I'm finding it motivating but I'm on a learning kick right now. Tealtonerick said what I needed to hear about diving in the first 12 pages. The online book works for me because it's nice to hear the samples. I don't know if I'm gonna have his ear regarding identifying chords on the fly but it's a start.

I saw that he's touring but I have no idea what his tour is about.

Original music? Lessons?

$$$$

Seriously, he is not Glyn Johns, or Roy Thomas Baker, or even Daniel Lanois.

I get this is a different time in the music biz, and I am sure he will draw his fair share of
Khaki shorts wearing middle-aged men. Just not this middle-aged man. ;)

1655932386613.png

I have the Beato book - as others have said - its more of a reference. I don't think teaching is one of his strong points. He's kind of the teacher thats like, " here - just do this - (insert crazy lick or chord progression here) " And I'm like - wtf is he doing ? He doesn't really explain what hes doing. I do love his interviews and what makes a song great etc. Just not a fan of his "teaching" style.

I think an important perspective that needs to be restated from time to time is that it is never really the responsibility of the teacher to make the student understand. Whenever we learns things it is because we make the commitment to do so. It is the student that does all the work. A good teacher INSPIRES the student. That inspiration comes in a number of different ways. Providing well organized reference material is a part of that. There are (BY DESIGN) a lot of missing pieces in the spaces between the material presented in Rick's book (or any reference for that matter). You know the old adage, the space between the notes is just as important if not more so as the notes themselves!

The point is that the reference material is SUPPOSED to generate the questions in your mind, even if that question is WTF in hell fire does that mean? But it is really your responsibility to answer those questions by connecting the dots between/among the reference material. The value of what Rick (or any teacher) presents is what the critical terms and concepts are for you to be able to even have a chance at connecting the dots. So in a way, the most important part of the material is what is purposely left out. It's often just a practical matter. This is because it is very important for YOU to fill that in. The teacher is not going to do that for you. In fact, even if the teacher could somehow do that for you, you wouldn't remember it anyway because YOU didn't do it!

The very best thing that a teacher can do is to inspire the creation of new teachers. That is the yin/yang of the teacher/student relationship. The thing that Rick is good at is inspiring that dynamic. We have all commented on how interesting his other videos are with interviews and breaking down songs and such. Well that is just him presenting himself as the student. He is trying to show you the power of "beginner's mind." It makes you want to dig into... how-TF-does-this-work? The reference material just gives you an anchor for that. You still have to pull up that anchor and go on the voyage yourself. And yeah -spoiler alert- it will actually take some study and practice on your own in the shed. Just because you spend a little money on educational material doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get anything out of it at all, right?

And certainly, it's not just Rick or Steve Stine who is another great teacher. Take advantage of all the teachers out there. They all have different flavors of inspiration to get you going. But you know what? The underlying music theory is all exactly the same and can be found in many different reference books and classes and videos and such. You have to eat and drink and breath all this stuff to make that journey make more sense to you. But no matter how good you get at it there is always more to learn, even if you have now become the teacher. That's all that Rick or any of them are doing. You can do it too. No limits... obviously.

I think an important perspective that needs to be restated from time to time is that it is never really the responsibility of the teacher to make the student understand. Whenever we learns things it is because we make the commitment to do so. It is the student that does all the work. A good teacher INSPIRES the student. That inspiration comes in a number of different ways. Providing well organized reference material is a part of that. There are (BY DESIGN) a lot of missing pieces in the spaces between the material presented in Rick's book (or any reference for that matter). You know the old adage, the space between the notes is just as important if not more so as the notes themselves!

The point is that the reference material is SUPPOSED to generate the questions in your mind, even if that question is WTF in hell fire does that mean? But it is really your responsibility to answer those questions by connecting the dots between/among the reference material. The value of what Rick (or any teacher) presents is what the critical terms and concepts are for you to be able to even have a chance at connecting the dots. So in a way, the most important part of the material is what is purposely left out. It's often just a practical matter. This is because it is very important for YOU to fill that in. The teacher is not going to do that for you. In fact, even if the teacher could somehow do that for you, you wouldn't remember it anyway because YOU didn't do it!

The very best thing that a teacher can do is to inspire the creation of new teachers. That is the yin/yang of the teacher/student relationship. The thing that Rick is good at is inspiring that dynamic. We have all commented on how interesting his other videos are with interviews and breaking down songs and such. Well that is just him presenting himself as the student. He is trying to show you the power of "beginner's mind." It makes you want to dig into... how-TF-does-this-work? The reference material just gives you an anchor for that. You still have to pull up that anchor and go on the voyage yourself. And yeah -spoiler alert- it will actually take some study and practice on your own in the shed. Just because you spend a little money on educational material doesn't necessarily mean you are going to get anything out of it at all, right?

And certainly, it's not just Rick or Steve Stine who is another great teacher. Take advantage of all the teachers out there. They all have different flavors of inspiration to get you going. But you know what? The underlying music theory is all exactly the same and can be found in many different reference books and classes and videos and such. You have to eat and drink and breath all this stuff to make that journey make more sense to you. But no matter how good you get at it there is always more to learn, even if you have now become the teacher. That's all that Rick or any of them are doing. You can do it too. No limits... obviously.
well - agree and disagree. Of course the commitent, questioning, and effort needs to be there on the part of the student. No arguement there. For complex subject matter though, imo a good teacher, though he/she should leave gaps for students to discover, needs to present the material in a logical sequence that does not leave students at dead ends they can't work their way out of with reasonable effort. I think there are tonnes of bad teachers out there and lots of bad learning material presented in half ass'd sketchy manner under the guise of helping students help themselves, instead of the teacher or learning material creator actually doing the work of teaching, to devise a sequence of instruction that reveals the building block comcepts while at the same time facilitating discovery via students' hard work. Not saying this applies to RB as I feel he is a descent instructor (enough for me to buy his BB), but, having done some teaching and a fair amount of learning myself, I think there can be better paricularly for students parting with hard earned $ for instruction. Also, as mentioned above, some teacher/student combinations connect, some don't - it may pay off for a student to find the teacher or material that resonates to his/her own way of learning.

Last edited:
well - agree and disagree. Of course the commitent, questioning, and effort needs to be there on the part of the student. No arguement there. For complex subject matter though, imo a good teacher, though he/she should leave gaps for students to discover, needs to present the material in a logical sequence that does not leave students at dead ends they can't work their way out of with readonable effort. I think there are tonnes of bad teachers out there and lots of bad learning material presented in half ass'd sketchy manner under the guise of helping students help themselves, instead of the teacher or learning material creator actually doing the work of teaching, to devise a sequence of instruction that reveals the building block comcepts while at the same time facilitating discovery via students' hard work. Not saying this applies to RB as feel he is a descent instructor (enough for me to invest some $), but, having done some teaching and a fair amount of learning myself, there can be better paricularly for
students parting with hard earned $
Yes you are correct. There are also plenty of people out there that think they have something to useful offer but are really just looking for whatever attention they can get and/or to grift a quick buck. I just don't tend to think about that too much because I immediately filter that stuff out. It's pretty obvious in most cases to me anyway.

But I do admit that over the last several years, the number of people suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect seems to have increased exponentially. It has certainly become a very serious issue on many fronts these days.

Yes you are correct. There are also plenty of people out there that think they have something to useful offer but are really just looking for whatever attention they can get and/or to grift a quick buck. I just don't tend to think about that too much because I immediately filter that stuff out. It's pretty obvious in most cases to me anyway.

Not always obvious - I've purchased several expensive, glossy books during my guitar learning journey that are complete garbage.

But I do admit that over the last several years, the number of people suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect seems to have increased exponentially. It has certainly become a very serious issue on many fronts these days.
Ya, the internet allows lots to easily know a little about anything which is great, but lots of those "little knowers" think they know it all which is not so great - worse is that many of those know-it-all little knowers have actually ingested a little bullshit and think it's correct.

Last edited:
I was little surprised to see an Axe-Fx III in one of the videos in the interactive book. (11. Lydian Mode)

I bought the Beato Book and now my girlfriend doesn’t complain when I play guitar through my headphones!

I must be shallow
too as i love those - some are pretty in depth tho!
I wish he would do more of those! there are so many I would love for him to dissect! I loved the Boston ones he did, Wish I knew how he got a hold of the master, I would love to hear the guitar tracks torn apart!

Back
Top Bottom