Be careful, anyone can enter your Mac this way !

I experience big problems each time apple releases a new ios version
iOS 11 was literally a rewrite of nearly every major component of the OS and it's been a train wreck as a result. Nothing but pain for us at work thanks to iOS 11.

Statement from Apple:

"Security is a top priority for every Apple product, and regrettably we stumbled with this release of macOS.

When our security engineers became aware of the issue Tuesday afternoon, we immediately began working on an update that closes the security hole. This morning, as of 8 a.m., the update is available for download, and starting later today it will be automatically installed on all systems running the latest version (10.13.1) of macOS High Sierra.

We greatly regret this error and we apologize to all Mac users, both for releasing with this vulnerability and for the concern it has caused. Our customers deserve better. We are auditing our development processes to help prevent this from happening again."

Yes and it made my iPad air 2 feel slow like ipad mini
$10 says that's the apps, not the OS. Try dumping everything from the iPad and reinstalling the apps 1 at a time until you find the app that's killing it.

Edit: also, you compare Windows to iOS. Not sure that's apt. I mean, I guess you could compare iOS to Windows Phone OS but we all know what happened with Windows Phone OS....

$10 says that's the apps, not the OS. Try dumping everything from the iPad and reinstalling the apps 1 at a time until you find the app that's killing it.

Edit: also, you compare Windows to iOS. Not sure that's apt. I mean, I guess you could compare iOS to Windows Phone OS but we all know what happened with Windows Phone OS....
Basic debug : before installing ios11 it was fast, just after it's pain slow... Ios11 fault
Apple negates the fact they do programmed obsolescence

Basic debug : before installing ios11 it was fast, just after it's pain slow... Ios11 fault
Apple negates the fact they do programmed obsolescence
But your apps updated as well. No way you want to iOS 11 and didn't get a bunch of "ready for iOS 11!" type app updates too.

I have a second generation iPad that's going on some 9 years old now. Runs like a champ. Planned obsolescence isn't true; urban myth.

But your apps updated as well. No way you want to iOS 11 and didn't get a bunch of "ready for iOS 11!" type app updates too.

I have a second generation iPad that's going on some 9 years old now. Runs like a champ. Planned obsolescence isn't true; urban myth.
No they didn't update i disable automatic updates.
And yes i remember obvious planned obsolescence on iPhone 4. When they released ios5 it became unusable

@h.c.e. I think it's worth discussion. It's a pretty gross bug. They forked this BSD code to hook in keychain and opendirectory support so it was on them to make sure the forked code was well-tested; clearly they didn't do that. Good lesson not to fork the really important ****. :)

Totally agree, security concerns are always worth shining a light on, it’s just the false equivalencies and the “apple screwed up you’re all doomed” narrative I think could be tempered just a wee bit generally.

While they have made some boneheaded mistakes, and this is a grave one, Apple has also had a really good track record of being pretty security conscious from the jump, and patching vulnerabilities quickly. As the escalation bug in bash from a few years ago and the SSL keys vulnerability before that shows, no system is safe. As long as the OS providers are quick and reliable to patch, that’s the best we can hope for really. My personal feeling still is that, provided they’re decently conscious about installing updates as they come available, “normals” are better served by an Apple product as far as security goes than other alternatives in the long run.

All that being said, I fully accept that the Apple community has opened themselves up to this kind of schadenfreude by beating it’s chest for far too long about “we never get viruses or hacked” :p

Last edited:
Windows has more discovered security issues because there are so many more people using it. If the roles were reversed and MacOS was the top used OS, there would be just as many viruses and security loopholes exploited in it requiring just as many constant patches. Shady people work on exploiting Windows bugs because the reward is so much greater. There's oceans of Windows PC's out there with people's sensitive data just waiting to be stolen.

Look at it this way. A burglar has the option of learning how to pick two different types of locks. One is used on 90% of doors, while the other on only 10% of doors. Which one do you think the burglar is going to devote his time and effort to learning to pick. That doesn't mean that the lesser used lock is more secure, there's just less incentive for the burglar to learn to pick it.

On a similar note, folks that have rooted smartphones should be sure to always change their root password to something very secure for this same reason. Leaving any password blank or set to some default is a bad idea.

Windows has more discovered security issues because there are so many more people using it. If the roles were reversed and MacOS was the top used OS, there would be just as many viruses and security loopholes exploited in it requiring just as many constant patches. Shady people work on exploiting Windows bugs because the reward is so much greater. There's oceans of Windows PC's out there with people's sensitive data just waiting to be stolen.

Look at it this way. A burglar has the option of learning how to pick two different types of locks. One is used on 90% of doors, while the other on only 10% of doors. Which one do you think the burglar is going to devote his time and effort to learning to pick. That doesn't mean that the lesser used lock is more secure, there's just less incentive for the burglar to learn to pick it.

I agree that Windows has a larger user base but they get targeted because they are easier to exploit not because there are more installations out there. The burglar will pick the easier lock...think about how many Flash updates you have done (hopefully) recently...

I have Mac and windows, the PC is not better in any way at all. This argument was tired 20 years ago give it a rest

Back
Top Bottom