Bass Guitar recommendations...

cobbler

Fractal Fanatic
Thinking of adding a bass to the collection to toy with. Having no experience with basses I would love to avoid any pitfalls with regards to manufacturer/models to consider. This is just for hobby purposes and to have a bass in the arsenal. I have no interest in more than 4 strings and would like to keep the cost under 1k.

What say all you bass players? Any recommendations or deals I should check out?

first off I'd recommend you go used if possible as you might have a need to resell depending and that's how to keep most of the value. secondly I'd say don't buy anything until you've gone to a gtr center and tried a bunch of different basses.
if it were me...
https://www.google.com/search?clien...QoAQ&biw=1056&bih=656#spd=6065036027665054378

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-SR1...1b4d:g:C-QAAOSwm5Ndrcih&LH_ItemCondition=3000

if you've bought guitars I'm going to assume you know what to look for... how to spot a bad neck. Just one man's opinion.

A couple recommendations:
Used Fender American standard p bass.
A bit above budget but....Used Ernie ball stingray.

You might be able to try those out at a guitar store near you.

+1 on the fender precision - if you can get an American professional, more power to you.
thanks
pauly

I think $1000 is a little crazy to start

Squier makes some good basses with great electronics- I'd get a $200-250 jazz bass and $200-250 pbass

And i'd also get another bass- better quality better electronics

Ibanez makes great basses with great electronics for great prices

For $350 you could get a killer bass.

Cort is extremely underrated- they made great basses with great electronics in the early 2000's

If you can find a Cort Curbow Bass they're amazing
Cort also made for Conklin GROOVE TOOL basses that are the best of the best- all $250-400 used

I have a Music Man Bongo and I had a Stingray

They don't exactly do what I wish and everything I wanted on recording so one $1000 bass might limit you extremely

I also have one of the $300-400 Hofner Beatle Basses- that thing gets on more recordings than almost all the others

Fender USA Basses are nice but not a great value or worth the money. Some have decent pickups, but some don't. They have nicer woods, and finishes compared to a MIM but most are poorly playable and in need of a lot of setup work to get decent and still have their limits.

I'm going to vegas in the next 2-3 weeks to go hunting for gear- I can hit you up on fb if I find anything cool- I've bought A LOT of nice basses and gear there.

I bought a short scale Stingray and it's been a lot of fun playing.
I didn't mention short scale as didn't want to take heat from bass players (you know... short scale is somehow controversial). I love them and as a guitar player it def makes transition more easy. Grew up playing a 32" scale, have one now. long story long - good call.

Back
Top Bottom