bass emulation

Anthony David

Experienced
Anyone got any advice on how to make an 8 string guitar sound like a bass? Ive tried bass amps and cabs but they dont sound any different. Doesnt need to be perfect emulation, I just need something to fill in the low end in my mixes.

Much larger strings and tune it an octave lower. Or experiment with the octave down pitch with mixed results.

Also, Multi Band Compression and the correct EQ, like you would an actual bass.

It's a shame that Fractal never released Tosin's presets, I'm sure that they'd have been really useful.

I use a whammy block with the pitch shifted down 1 octave. It seems to work well with my strat using the middle pickup. I don't like doing this as much with humbuckers, as they can get a little muddy and distorted.

Thanks for all the advise guys! Regarding the tuning and string sizes, I'm really trying not to have to change anything about the guitar. I need to do this with the axe. Ive tried the pitch shift, but sounded like shit. As Hendrix pointed out, it's probably because the humbuckers. That's all I got though, my Tele is out of action at the moment. Fabio, you got any advise on how to use the MBC and EQ like a bass? I'm not familiar with how a bass gets EQd. And the MBC confuses me. It lets you choose two frequencies to adjust, but then there's three levels. I've tried experimenting with it, looking at the manual, but it still confuses me. Sorry for being a retard guys, still fairly new to all this.

With an 8-string guitar, there's no need for pitch shifting, as you're already able to play as low as a bass guitar. Beyond that, I'd recommend playing through a bass amp sim, bass cab IR, and if possible, try tonematching your guitar to an actual bass.

What is the scale 27" ??? I have a Fender Jaguar Bass VI and it is 30" which allows tuning one octave lower than a standard guitar tuning starting from low E. It is very different than pitch shifting. The tension and the organic sound without no errant tracking anomalies. Instantly inspiring to be at a new lower pitch and tension. My Low E is at .095 - The guages set is .025, .035, .045, .055, .075, .095. I guaranty you that this guitar will get you where you want to be sonically but it only has six strings. If your guitar can handle the tension, maybe the lower tuning and big fat strings will get you there. You may want to talk with your local tech for advise as this could require nut work and truss adjustment and might just not be suitable for your particular guitar. The tension will be considerable. My fingers got very tough and strong (see my photo to the left - the got all deformed - JK )doing cords on these strings - takes some getting used to for sure.

With an 8-string guitar, there's no need for pitch shifting, as you're already able to play as low as a bass guitar. Beyond that, I'd recommend playing through a bass amp sim, bass cab IR, and if possible, try tonematching your guitar to an actual bass.

Did all that but the tone matching. Just sounded like a slightly bass heavy guitar.

What is the scale 27" ??? I have a Fender Jaguar Bass VI and it is 30" which allows tuning one octave lower than a standard guitar tuning starting from low E. It is very different than pitch shifting. The tension and the organic sound without no errant tracking anomalies. Instantly inspiring to be at a new lower pitch and tension. My Low E is at .095 - The guages set is .025, .035, .045, .055, .075, .095. I guaranty you that this guitar will get you where you want to be sonically but it only has six strings. If your guitar can handle the tension, maybe the lower tuning and big fat strings will get you there. You may want to talk with your local tech for advise as this could require nut work and truss adjustment and might just not be suitable for your particular guitar. The tension will be considerable. My fingers got very tough and strong (see my photo to the left - the got all deformed - JK )doing cords on these strings - takes some getting used to for sure.

It's a 28 inch scale, tuned standard. I'm using heavy strings, I like extremely tight tension. It's tuned low enough. It just sounds like a guitar and not a bass. I was using the FAS bass amps with some bass IRs I got here. Don't really know what else to do when recording. I can't get the guitars to fill in the lower spectrum in a mix.

Not near my axe so I can't try this, but I'd probably start by compressing the crap out of it and rolling off all the high end. It might not be the best bass sound in the world but it should sound less guitar like. Maybe just a touch of detune. Then start experimenting with bass amp sims and IRs.

You were right man, took out all the high end I could and comped the shit out of it. Sounds atrocious, but does exactly what I need it to in a mix. Thanks again dude!

Back
Top Bottom