Bareknuckle pickups worth the cash ?

Erock93

Inspired
Are bareknuckle pickups worth the higher price tag ? Around $400-$600 for a set up in Canada,
Just wondering if they're a well step above something like Seynour Duncan's which I'm currently running

I would say unequivocally …, YES !!

Best thing I ever did for my “mutt” H-S-S Strat …. Here’s what they are !

• Bridge - VH II
  • Middle - Mothers Milk Single Coil
  • Neck - Mothers Milk Single Coil – w/ Zinc Baseplate ....

I wanted a "hot" PAF for the Bridge ..., a "standard" middle pickup for lots-o-Quack ..., and I added the Zinc Baseplate to the neck for a little hotter SRV type-thing ! They balance extremely well too ! There isn't a huge volume bump when you go from the one of the singles back to the Bridge.

Attachments

• Strat Pickups.jpg
    Strat Pickups.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Very cool , everyone I see who has them, seems to absolutely love , just a little eye watering price tag for pickups.
Looking to supe up my Ibanez AZ though

Attachments

• IMG-20230112-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230112-WA0002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
$400-$600 doesn't seem overly expensive for a full set. Go for it if that's the set you want.

I buy them used for $200-$250 a set. I have Mules, Rebel Yells(a favorite), Stormy Mondays, hum sized P90s called Nantuckets (very nice in a PRS SE Zack Meyers), and a P90 set called Supermassives (great PuP, vintage with volume rolled back and modern at full)

Shop around on some forums not to be named here. I've done alright with my purchases. I watch for active listing that have ben around for a little bit and offer what I stated above, based on condition, lead length, etc.

Good luck
The "Zack Meyers"
Zack Meyers.jpg

They're fantastic pickups, I have a few Aftermath sets that I love. I don't know if they're worth the premium over something like Duncans or Dimarzios, but they're really good.

I've been really wanting a Polymath set but god damn those are pricey.

Thanks for input guys, I was eyeing up the Aftermaths / Polymaths as well but they're definetly a sought after set and don't see too many used this side of border

I'm deeply conflicted about this. They make a lot of really great pickups, handwound in the UK by (I hope) reasonably paid first world labor. That's worth supporting more than ever these days. But if you're going to press me on, are you getting incredible innovative pickups that do something delivering three hundred dollars "worth" of tone over a production line Seymour Duncan? I don't feel confident saying that. BKP isn't bringing exotic materials or designs to the table, some of the cover designs are unique and distinctive but have also become a little bit overdone.

have a pair that came with my Ibanez RGR5220M - came stock from JPN with the BN Brute Force H/B's....
they have the same output as the Tone Zone but with an increased clarity in the mids and high mids....
recommend BN p/ups for sure

However, I have: Alnico Nailbomb, 2 Holy Divers, Juggernaut and all have exceptional characteristics. On the other hand, I also have 3 Duncan Black Winters that are just AMAZING. so one brand is not necessarily better than another. You really need to fit the pickup to the guitar. Unless it's my strat, in which case every effin pickup sounds the same.

I have Mules in my Forshage semi-hollow and they sound fantastic! I play jazz, blues and rock and it can cover all very nicely.

While I love my Nailbombs and the Rebel Yell's I used to have, I dont think there's a chance in hell I would ever pay new price for them at that much. I'd be trawling the used offerings.

Guitarmory also make some awesome pickups worth looking in to.

The problem I have with swapping pickups, after many many hundreds of dollars, is the notion that there MAY be something even better! Do I keep trying....or leave well enough alone. And when is "well enough", well, well enough?

I buy them used for $200-$250 a set. I have Mules, Rebel Yells(a favorite), Stormy Mondays, hum sized P90s called Nantuckets (very nice in a PRS SE Zack Meyers), and a P90 set called Supermassives (great PuP, vintage with volume rolled back and modern at full)

Shop around on some forums not to be named here. I've done alright with my purchases. I watch for active listing that have ben around for a little bit and offer what I stated above, based on condition, lead length, etc.

Good luck
The "Zack Meyers"
View attachment 119087
Thanks for the info on the Supper massive as I've been eyeing them for quite a while!

My $0.02

I have a set of Polymaths in my Charvel San Dimas and they are, by far, the most satisfying pickup purchase in my 30+ years of playing. I have them set up for series/parallel switching and they do everything from single-coil sounding neck tones, from 80’s hair, to modern metal. They are an absolute joy to play.

I will definitely be picking up another set of BKP’s for my PRS.

Back
Top Bottom