Bare knuckle pickups for Mayones Regius 7?

harmaes

Inspired
I just got a Mayones Regius 7 with Cold Sweat pickups and for me these are too bright to suit the swamp ash, pistachio top and ebony fretboard which has a lot of top-end by itself.
I've modded the volume pot to be around 333k which improves the resonance frequency and top end but overall I still find the Cold Sweat to have the wrong response for this guitar (mid scooped and trebly top end) which is hard to really dial out as it's not only the EQ but also the response of the pickup.

I'm considering BKP Juggernauts but also got suggestions for Warpig Ceramic, Nailbomb Ceramic and others.
Also the DiMarzio Illuminator or Seymour Duncan offerings like Sentient/Nazgul could be interesting.
Since I play with a lot of dynamics I doubt if the Warpig would be suited for my style of fusion/progressive like playing?

What are you currently using in your Regius 7 or other brands Swamp Ash 7?
What pickups would you recommend for a open but warmer tone?

I've ran the ceramic warpig in the bride for a while on an ash body and it is full and warm with a little extra high end but nothing that isn't easily pulled out when not wanted.

I've decided to keep the current pickups and get used to the Swamp ash response. A Warpig is probably less dynamic?
I also compared the DI output to the output of a similar guitar of a friend which has Juggernaut pups which are less open and muddier.

I've had a ceramic Nailbomb in a 7 string that I built but I swapped it out for the alnico version. I found the ceramic to be a little too scooped for my taste, making me disappear into the mix.

Back
Top Bottom