Bank Up/Down Songs Within a Set

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I hope someone can help me configure my Song Selection layout in Song/Setlist mode. I want the layout to show all the Songs in a Set for random selection with bank up/down buttons revealing further songs. At present, my bank buttons seem to be acting on Presets, not Songs. There doesn't appear to be an option in the menu to bank songs within a set. Am I missing something?

Bank up/down is specifically for Presets. Presets exist in a Bank, songs do not. so Bank up/down will not change Songs.

the concept of a Setlist is that you go in a specific order - a set - so the main ways to change songs are either directly selecting them, or going up/down 1 at a time.

if you want the approach of having lots of songs available to choose from, you may have to use multiple Layouts with different songs available. so maybe Layout 1 - 3 on an FC12 can show all 32 songs (12 switches x 3 layouts, with 4 unused/extra switches on Layout 3). other Layouts will be used for the actual Section switches and other controls as needed.

again, because a Setlist is designed to put a performance in a certain order, "banking" Songs doesn't usually apply to that approach.

i get what you're going for, but that infrastructure isn't designed.

OK, thanks Chris. I'm currently achieving similar ends by banking through presets and having one song per preset. It means I have to use the preset manager to order my sets but I'm used to doing it that way on both the Axe II and the Kemper, so I guess I'll continue with it.

The idea of what you're asking for did exist at an early stage in the spec: "Song Banks" were briefly a thing, but they were shelved because the basic idea of a set list -- in comparison to random access presets -- is that you work through it in a specific order.

I like to have both options available since anything can happen on a show and I might want to go to any song in a set either to run a sound check or to change the running order on the fly.

I like to have both options available since anything can happen on a show and I might want to go to any song in a set either to run a sound check or to change the running order on the fly.
If your show isn’t normally in a specific order, a setlist may not help because a setlist is a specific order of songs.

If you know the order, you can just go up/down songs to get to the one you need for the occasional out-of-order song.

But again if you’re always doing random song orders, a set list may not help at all.

I don't know how many songs you are dealing with, but have you considered using the 4 available Setlists as banks? It is pretty easy to quicly change Setlists from the front panel. Our band has a setlist of about 25 songs right now. Too many to scroll through if you are at the top and you want something near the bottom. So I have the first Setlist with songs 1-25. I also created a Setlist 2 that has 1-12 in it and a Setlist 3 that has 13-25 in it. This gives me the flexibility to use a Setlist that has everything in it (Setlist 1). But if I think we might need to skip around, I can jump back and forth between Setlist 2 & 3 so I can at least divide and conquer if I need to. Just a way to group things given the limited capability built into the Setlists/Songs function. It may not work for you if you have a lot of songs.

I think the idea of the "Song Banks" does make sense, since
  • if there is a way to assign specific songs to a layout position (like in the SETLIST-layout), banks are something which feels natural. If the progress should be strictly in a specific order, then inc/dec would do the trick and a specific „per song“ setting may be of no use.
  • If a whole bunch of presets is scattered across the device, but one only uses a subset for the show, switching to the PRESET-layout is cumbersome: you may have to change a lot of banks to get to a specific preset. Using a setlist bank feature here let's you create a pack of presets where you can choose from on demand. In this scenario, the setlist allows to pack presets from all over the device in a handy package.
As a workaround, @22 frets solution also looks good, though.

Last edited:
If you play in a show with a lot unordered songs, it is necessary to have SONG BANKS function to be able to do a preview before selecting the final one and in a faster way. I vote for adding this feature!

Here is a way to achieve browsing 120 songs (stored in the 4 set lists from 1 to 30) on a FC12, using only 3 layouts :
Just tap the upper right switch to go up next 10 songs
Just tap the lower right switch to go down previous 10 songs
Hope this help ! :)

Layout 1
Song 6Song 7Song 8Song 9Song 10Layout 2
Song 1Song 2Song 3Song 4Song 5Set list decrement + layout link 3
Layout 2
Song 16Song 17Song 18Song 19Song 20Layout 3
Song 11Song 12Song 13Song 14Song 15Layout 1
Layout 3
Song 26Song 27Song 28Song 29Song 30Set list increment + layout link 1
Song 21Song 22Song 23Song 24Song 25Layout 2