Bank changes over Midi not working (program changes)

I regularly send PC changes to my devices using midi (Helix, Voicelive 3). The code in the iPad app I am using (Stage Traxx 3) "PCXX.Y@Z" where XX is the preset value, Y is the bank number, and Z is the midi channel. This works fine for my other devices, but when I try to do this with the FM9 it always changes to the preset on bank 0. I can never get it to change to a higher bank. (presets 0-127 are bank 0, 128-255 are bank 1, etc).

Make sure your iPad app is using CC#0 for bank select.
Or, try it manually by sending a CC#0 message followed by a PC message.

I regularly send PC changes to my devices using midi (Helix, Voicelive 3). The code in the iPad app I am using (Stage Traxx 3) "PCXX.Y@Z" where XX is the preset value, Y is the bank number, and Z is the midi channel. This works fine for my other devices, but when I try to do this with the FM9 it always changes to the preset on bank 0. I can never get it to change to a higher bank. (presets 0-127 are bank 0, 128-255 are bank 1, etc).
It sounds like you have PC Mapping turned on. Bank select messages are ignored when that is on.

Reactions: Rex
pretty sure I already stated this in my OP. I'm no stranger to midi.
You stated that the app you're using sends some string that supposedly represents the PC and bank.

That doesn't tell us what is actually being sent.

Have you tried to install a midi monitor like Midi-OX to see the actual midi stream?

Also, how does the app denote a bank? The bank value can be made up of 2 pieces, the MSB and the LSB. Different devices may use these in different ways...

Revisiting the thread as I have the same issue with Stagetraxx3.

After investigating using midi pocket on a Mac to look at midi message sent and received, FM3 send only Bank change with MSB, not the LSB (CC32) and StageTraxx expect CC0 MSB then CC32 LSB then PC number in the bank to read it correctly.
To send PC change Stagetraxx to FM3 to bank 1,2 or 3 it works as mentioned by sending CC0.X (X is bank number) and then the PC in the bank (0-127)
But to receive from FM3 a PC change from bank 1,2, or 3 I think we are stuck here.
There is no options in STegtraxx to listen only to MSB and FM3 do not send LSB.

So I can load any presets (and scenes) of the FM3 sending midi command from Stage Traxx, even with time stamp if needed (in the lyrics edit).
But if I select a preset on the FM3 it will load on Stagetraxx the corresponding song only on Bank 0 (so I put all song presets in first bank to make it works, that's the only worlkarround and good enough for me as 127 songs is plenty and more than I can play :)).

In case it helps someone.

Just for troubleshooting make sure your timecode is expressed correctly. I make this mistake from time to time in StageTrax. It’s 00:00.0 not 00:00:0

Just for troubleshooting make sure your timecode is expressed correctly. I make this mistake from time to time in StageTrax. It’s 00:00.0 not 00:00:0
Thanks
Time code works with no issue
This is about banks 1,2 and 3 from FM3 to stage Traxx when you select a preset in the FM3 and want to select a song in stage Traxx
FM3 is not sending cc32 for LSB so stage Traxx do not read it correctly
The other way (Stagetraxx to FM3) it works sending first CC0 and then PC number (not using PCx.y@channel)
This is because the y (bank) is handle by stage Traxx with 2 consecutive CC
CC0 for MsB and CC32 for LSB

Could you give an exact example of the code line to change presets in Stage Traxx? I am completely lost and would appreciate it greatly!

Been looking at Scott's vids but no luck. Thanks for your examples, but they don't work with the AX8 for some reason. I can get the first 128 presets no prob with the PC code, but can't get it to do anything past because I can't get it to talk to the individual 64 banks...

Been looking at Scott's vids but no luck. Thanks for your examples, but they don't work with the AX8 for some reason. I can get the first 128 presets no prob with the PC code, but can't get it to do anything past because I can't get it to talk to the individual 64 banks...
MIDI isn’t aware of the “banks” on the AX8, as those banks are specific to the AX8 by the “8 per bank” setup, and not a general MIDI feature/setup.

If you’re able to navigate the first 128, you’re already going through some of the AX8’s banks.

For general MIDI, banks are groups of 128 presets. Something called LSB and MSB are used to access more than the first 128. I can’t remember how to do it right now, but you probably need very low numbers for the MIDI bank value as you’re jumping 128 presets at a time.

Yes, I’m able to call up the 128 but not bank specific presets. If anyone has the MSB/LSB code line I’d be most appreciative! 😊

Yes, I’m able to call up the 128 but not bank specific presets. If anyone has the MSB/LSB code line I’d be most appreciative! 😊
As Glenn mentioned above
If you want stage Traxx to call a PC on your fractal unit you need to send first the CC0.1 (for bank 2 as an example) and then PCXX.Y@Z" where XX is the preset value, Y is the bank number, and Z is the midi channel as described by the OP
[midi@01:37.00: CC0.1,PC0@4]

The above should call second bank via the CC and preset 0 of the second bank that is preset 128
In that case (stage Traxx to Fractal) no need to be concerned about LSB, MSB is CC0 and good enough for fractal to recognize the bank

Look at my post earlier in this thread
The issue with LSB is only if you want to use midi learn on stageTraxx to have FM3 changing song in stagge Traxx when you change a preset on the fractal unit

Fractal send bank number CC0 and PC number but NOT CC32 LSB that stage Traxx expect to work properly
Hope this help

EDIT: why having both Fractal to change song AND stage Traxx to send preset?
Just for flexibility/safety
I use stages’ Traxx to command the FM3 but if for any reasons I want to change a song from the FM3 I just push my song foot switch and stage Traxx will follow
If then I select a song from stage Traxx then FM3 follow
It is a kind of synch between the 2 devices
Now to overcome the issue of stage Traxx not getting PC change from the FM3 the fix is to have all your presets in first FM3 bank
This way it works perfectly

Last edited:
Still no luck- copied your line directly into Traxx, but no go. Wondering if this is an AX8 only issue?

First of all sorry I made a mistake and forgot channel in the CC (typing from my phone is not ideal)so try this and make sure AX8 is on midi channel 1

[midi@00:01.00: CC0.1@1,PC0@1]

Back
Top Bottom