Bands that epitomize a certain amp’s sound

I'm pretty confident Metallica & Dream Theater have sold more MESA Mark series amps than Carlos Santana.

On an interesting turn of events, how's the 5150s rather being better known for the "Modern Metal" sound than Eddie's sig. tone? Found it amusing. Most people I know associate EVH with the Plexi rather than any iteration of the 5150.

To be fair though, the Mark I was a very different beast than the IIC+ and all it's iterations afterwards. And Santana really epitomizes the Mark I sound

Although they’ve used different amps at one time or another .. Michael Romeo (Symphony X guitar monster) and Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, S.M. Band, Deep Purple) have used Engl amps for years.

On an interesting turn of events, how's the 5150s rather being better known for the "Modern Metal" sound than Eddie's sig. tone? Found it amusing. Most people I know associate EVH with the Plexi rather than any iteration of the 5150.

I blame Machine Head. The tone they got on Burn My Eyes really turned some heads back in the early 90s (it's the reason the 5150/6505 is my favorite amp 🤷‍♂️). It was so soon after the 5150 itself was released that I think a lot of moderm metal guitarists and producers (who weren't really into Van Halen at the time) were much more interested in getting that TS9->5150 tone than anything Eddie was doing at the time.

Happy Labor Day weekend everybody! Hope everyone gets a chance to play some guitar with the extra few days off! I thought it’d be fun to start a thread where we share bands/guitarists that epitomize the sound of a certain amp. For starters, I’ll say AC/DC to me, IS the sound of Marshall. Early Metallica IS the sound of a mesa boogie mark series amp etc. Who do you think best represents the sound of a certain amplifier? Bonus points if you share a preset with that sound!
Early Metallica is Marshall. Up until Master of Puppets and even then Marshalls were used in the Studio.

Fates Warning and Boogies. I love how odd their tones were on Parallels, e.g. Jim Matheos said he had trouble coaxing a tone out of his Mark IV, but he was happy with what he got. I think he didn't know the way other people use it, by decreasing the bass so much in the BMT section, but either way, his tones are great, and they further his very cool approach to songwriting and playing. The three albums from Perfect Symmetry, to Parallels, to Inside Out to me are just great examples of progressive music at its finest.

Early Metallica is Marshall. Up until Master of Puppets and even then Marshalls were used in the Studio.
I think they've been using Marshalls mixed in with boogies and diezels up until St. Anger. I know for sure that a mod'ed marshall was integral to the tone on The Black Album.

I think they've been using Marshalls mixed in with boogies and diezels up until St. Anger. I know for sure that a mod'ed marshall was integral to the tone on The Black Album.

I read at some point that …And Justice For All was Mark IIC+ preamp section rewired to go into a Marshall power amp. I’ve also read that it was just a stock Mark IIC+.

Kill em All and RTL is pure Marshall. RTL is Marshall with an OD. James started using the Diezel on St.Anger and is a mainstay in his sound since then. After RTL they started using and mixing Marshalls with Boogies.

Since a couple people here are Chris Poland fans, if you view this below at YouTube, it's a playlist for the whole album:

Damn The Machine's new album The Last Man is out today! It's demos of unreleased stuff from their one and only studio album, and Chris Poland's playing is freaking incredible, as always:

I know this is a little stupid...just a memory from the past that I was discussing with a peer recently...every one who ever lip-synced on "Hee-Haw" had a Peavey Classic VT Chorus or Peavey Pacer behind them...

Take a look at the link below this is for puppets and Justice.
This is from Flemming Rassmusen himself.
It was all Marshall for the first 2 albums, then Mesa mark IIC++ amps into the power section of a couple Marshall heads for Puppets and Justice.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NLyG6

Last edited:
I always thought Justice was done primarily with a Triaxis, but I guess I will believe whatever Fleming says.

Black Sabbath: cranked Laney Supergroup with a modded Dallas Rangemaster.

Sleep: Matamp GT120 (even though he’s used Soldano for years at this point)

Queens of the Stone Age: Ampeg V4

Last edited:
Wilko Johnson (Dr Feelgood): HH 100W 2 x 12 Combo. He has used a Vox AC30, and Peavey Classic 50 since, but that, for me, was his sound in the original Dr Feelgood.

Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac "proper"): Matamp era Orange amps.

Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead): Marshall Shredmaster into Fender Eighty-Five solid state combo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom