Band wants me to consider In Ears....

Thoughts? Love hate? What is an amazing system including what in ears buds to buy?

I went from a worship team that used floor monitors with tons of unnecessary stage feedback to pure IEM system last year. The difference has been monumental and so much better for my hearing and monitoring.

To echo what everyone else is saying, 1964ears.com really are one of the largest companies with a solid reputation behind them. I would recommend getting the 1964's with a custom set mainly for the quality and a solid pair of dual drivers are $450 with the ambient holes (see their site). Another option to try out is a JVC Victor dual driver generic fit to see how dual drivers sound. I would recommend going all in-ear to preserve your hearing and dialing in specific tonal pockets without disrupting everything or everyone on stage utilizing a couple of wedges.

and I know plenty of professionals who don't spend 1k on in ears and are just as happy. as a guitar player especially, you run into diminishing returns with drivers and stuff on IEM's....not to mention that some they seem to become less flat as you add drivers. i've had 6 driver IEM's and felt that quads were better for accurate reproduction of guitar tones plus hearing my vocals. again, ymmv...

i admittedly don't tour with an A list artist in arenas....but i've been blessed enough to make a living doing music for over 20 years....so whether or not my experiences count as a professional opinion i have no idea.

At that price point I would be looking at JH audio. They are the kings of the mountain. At a little less CTM has a 5 driver I believe that are like 750. I use a generic 4 driver UE and I love them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure.

I just have to laugh though.... my IEM feed is 48khz dvd quality audio..... yet because I'm using the buds that came with my IEM's some think it's being like listening to 128kbps mp3s on apple OEM buds....

Sigh...

At that price point I would be looking at JH audio. They are the kings of the mountain. At a little less CTM has a 5 driver I believe that are like 750. I use a generic 4 driver UE and I love them! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$1000 total. Not just for buds.

$1000 total. Not just for buds.

A route I have done in the past is using these which requiring running a 1/4" feed from the board's auxiliary but is the "poor man's IEM system":

BEHRINGER MICROMON MA400

It worked pretty well actually. Depending on your mixer also like a PreSonus or B X32, you can use your smartphone to change your sends while on stage. A cheaper route but functional.

I got my entire band on in ears with the basic Shure SE215 ($100 each) and the Behringer P1 headphone amp ($50 each). XLR cable(s) and headphone extension cable required per person as well.

With just that, you can receive a hard wired line level mix from any source. We use an x32 rack, but anything that can get you a mix will work.

Again, this is hard wired, but we don't run all over the stage. The headphone extension lets us walk about 10 feet or so around, which is plenty since we are mostly by our mics anyway.

You can always upgrade the in ear monitors to customs or whatever, but for starting out, this is a low cost. The guys found it so much better than traditional monitors with even just this, and they have no desire to upgrade.

Last edited:
I play at the Hard Rock here and they have a wireless in ear setup for all the bands. I have drop outs and chhhhhhhhh sounds all night and it throws me off. I'd much rather have a hard wired setup that is 100% all night. I run the headphone cable basically tandem with my instrument cable so it's really no different than normal.

Wireless immediately puts you at $400 at least, plus the IEMs so $600+ is the starting point - assuming that wireless system works at the venues you frequent.

I've tried every major wireless system except the mipro, and everyone has had a gig where it just would not work due to interference. I just can't rely on that and don't have $5000+ per wireless system and paddles etc to spend to be absolutely certain, when $20 of cables do it perfectly every time.

I play at the Hard Rock here and they have a wireless in ear setup for all the bands. I have drop outs and chhhhhhhhh sounds all night and it throws me off. I'd much rather have a hard wired setup that is 100% all night. I run the headphone cable basically tandem with my instrument cable so it's really no different than normal. Wireless immediately puts you at $400 at least, plus the IEMs so $600+ is the starting point - assuming that wireless system works at the venues you frequent. I've tried every major wireless system except the mipro, and everyone has had a gig where it just would not work due to interference. I just can't rely on that and don't have $5000+ per wireless system and paddles etc to spend to be absolutely certain, when $20 of cables do it perfectly every time.
thought the digital ones didn't have issues with reliability of free channels?

I have the Sennheiser EW300 G3 system with InEarz Triples and it sounds great.

Really like the Senn G3 system - pretty quiet (low hiss) and small body pack. Definitely not the cheapest, but bought new from ProAudioStar at 30% off retail.

InEarz are local to me in Florida and for the money sound fantastic and are super comfortable - only $350 for triple driver custom molds.

The In-Ears Challenge

These are some great suggestions from everyone. I'll throw my 2-cents in the mix and try not to stir the pot.;)

Here's a link to a PDF called 'IEM Fundamentals'. It will answer a lot of questions for folks interested in making the switch to in-ears. Like others have mentioned, it takes some getting used to. But after getting the system dialed in, most experienced users will agree, it's a great way to go. It took us a good-long-while to get the bugs worked out. But now, we love it. We can play hard all night, then pull the buds out and have fresh ears, no ringing or pressure, feeling like we've spent the evening sitting around the table having a conversation. In other words, it saves your ears! As others have noted, you need a quality chain equipment if you expect quality audio. It takes more than just a good set of ear buds to get a great monitor mix.

I'll use our example with some of the challenges and errors we ran into.

Ear Buds
I've known a lot of folks who tried to get buy with a cheap set of buds. We tried it too. It didn't work out so well. Like others have said, if you buy some cheap ear buds, then your mix will more than likely sound......well... cheap. To get a good mix, you've got to spend some good money. I've tried a variety of in-ears and presently I'm running a set of Ultimate Ears UE11's which I'm very happy with. These were over $1,000 as I recall and required an impression from an audiologist which was more time and money. In the more economical arena we started with the Westone brand in the $350 range. These were a universal fit (no custom mold) and actually sounded pretty good. But I could never keep mine from working loose on stage. As soon as the fit begins to loosen, the sound quality drops significantly. Eventually we were introduced to Aurasonics. These are a universal-fit type of ear buds, but they fit really well and sound fantastic. At approximately half the cost of my UE11's, they're worth a look (or a listen). The best deals I'm aware of for Aurasonics are at www.springtree.net. I'm still stoked with my UE11's but if I had to do it again, I might go the Aurasonics route just for the $$$$ savings.

Wired or Wireless
This is another component in the chain that can make a big difference. As Chris mentioned previously in this thread, there's nothing worse than drops outs, hiss, crackles, etc that wireless systems can sometimes include. Our lead singer runs through a Sennheiser G3 wireless system and he likes it since he moves around a lot. It's very dependable and easy to setup. I also have the G3 system but I prefer the sound quality of running wired. I also own some cheaper wireless systems but we don't run them anymore because we just weren't happy with the sound quality compared to wired. If I had to run wireless, I'd plan on a $1,000 price tag for each user.

For myself and my band mates (other than the lead singer), we're all wired and we're using the Jump Audio IXM Setup. It's not magic. It just works and works well. The design is simply a 5-pin XLR cable with two pins for guitar signal, and 3 pins for stereo ears mix. The cable is very high quality and extremely supple so you don't get tangled up in it. The belt pack is well designed and stays in place when you're moving around. We simply attach it to our guitar straps rather than a belt. This way, when you pull your guitar off, the belt pack stays with the guitar. (Yes, you have to unplug your buds first)

Headphone Amp
When your running a wired system, you need a headphone amp, and there is a difference. We used to use those little Rolls headphone amps which required a power brick and just added to the clutter on stage. Plus they were always in the way. Presently, we use a rack mounted HP60 from Presonus. The audio quality is pristine, simple to operate (set it and forget it), and affordable.

Audio Source
For our rig, we run our monitor sends from our Allen & Heath GLD80 desk. This is a superb mixer and is laden with so many features and functions. Much like the Axe FX, if you can dream it up, this mixer can do it. With this mixer at the beginning of our signal chain, and quality components the rest of the way down the line, we get a beautiful monitor mix that everyone just loves. To avoid the sterile feel often experienced with in-ears, we all run in full stereo. I've heard lots of folks say this is a waste and I have no idea what they're talking about. For us, the difference is night and day. We also run a pair of Rode NT5's mounted to the light poles on either side of the stage. These are pointed out to the audience and give us the 'in the room' feel that is often absent from in-ears mixes. So when someone in the audience yells "Play Freebird!", we can hear 'em. :) We do a virtual sound check before each show with an iPad controlling the desk. We make any minor tweaks necessary from out front, and then press GO!

Other Details
Another thing we do a bit different than most, we run our individual monitor mixes 'post fader' rather than 'pre fader'. This way, if there are any minor tweaks in the mix we all hear it. Each band member has their own unique mix which is nothing more than the house mix with their vox and instrument slightly lifted in their ears. Me personally...I simply take a FOH mix to my ears rather than a custom mix. That way I hear the same mix the house is hearing. The reason for this is we run our own sound from the stage and our typical venues are the small-time local saloons, wineries, bars, and honky tonks. (No big shots here...just a bunch of working class thugs trying to keep rock n roll alive!) ;)

We don't run any wedges on stage. Myself and the other guitar player are running AXE FX II's direct. The bass player runs a rack-mount Sansamp RBI direct and the drummer is running Jobeky drums with mesh heads and triggers, Smartrigger cymbals all feeding Superior Drummer on a Macbook. The Macbook feeds the GLD80 desk via a CAT5 cable to the Dante interface. So essentially we have a silent stage with no mic bleed. The FOH gear consists of a pair of active 18" RCF subs and Fulcrum active tops. The drums sound as big as a barn with sparkling detail and punch. The AXE FXs sound great (imagine that) and the end result is very pleasing to the ear both out front and in our 'ears' mix. So all-in-all it's take a while to get to this point but we're all very happy with the end result. I have my good friend Clive (Unsung Hero Guitars here on the forum) to thank for all the work that went into our system. He traveled from the UK to California on several occasions to get us dialed in. He's a master at this stuff.

So take everything I've shared with a grain of salt. Your mileage may vary. But hopefully some of you will take a little something away that will minimize the pain to make the switch to in-ears. Rock on!

Mojo%20-%20Maverick%20B%26W.jpg

I run JH Audio 5 pro and MI Pro 808T/R wireless system and I love it. On the MI Pro I have never had drop outs. Check out ineargear.com for more info. I'll probably upgrade on my JH Audio to the JH16 or the Roxanne later this year. If you want to try some in ear. Look into MEElectronics M6pro universal fit. They are only $50. I heard some good things about them.

These are some great suggestions from everyone. I'll throw my 2-cents in the mix and try not to stir the pot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need some advice on what transmitter and receive to buy. Everyone is just talking ear buds. I know important. But need help with what system to purchase and why. G3 is only thing mentioned on here l, is that the latest and greatest. Please advise

Sennheiser ew300iemG3 is great. I have the mipro 808 t/r which is great for the money and can run with best of them!

Back
Top Bottom