Band Intro Music

twentytwenty

Inspired
Hi Peeps.

I am thinking about having some kind of intro for my band to play for a minute or so before we take to the stage, ideally it would be something a little unnerving or engaging.

This is basically just a drone note, but I think even a piece of music would be good.

I am thinking of something perhaps like Kiss use in this video.

Kiss - Intro + Detroit Rock City - London 2012 - YouTube

Or this by Motley Crue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvpU7Rhswaw&feature=related

Does any of you know of any good intro music that might be cool for this kind of thing?

Cheers

Gotta admit I'm sceptical of intro music. It has to be perfect otherwise it turns into a farce. Sometimes you have these bands who are playing for 15 people in a bar and start their gig with intro music.... Or the intro music ends and is followed by awkward silence because someone forgot to turn on the mic or guitar volume ... Or the MP3 is too impressive compared to the FOH sound in the beginning... So much can go wrong.

This...
It has to be perfect otherwise it turns into a farce

...and this...
Sometimes you have these bands who are playing for 15 people in a bar and start their gig with intro music....

...are certainly considerable points
yessmiley.gif

However, we've done a few big intros for the right gigs and they've been storming!

It certainly helps that we're fully self-contained with own PA et, but we've played the James Bond theme for a Bond Night, put together a piece featuring Vera Lyn, Churchill (al a Aces High), sirens & planes for a World War II themed night and twice this year - given the Jubilee & Olympics etc here in the UK - done a piece featuring Rule Britannia, Queen's God Save The Queen etc which blended into the intro of She Sells Sanctuary and BLAM!!! ...you know the rest...
guitar.gif
cool.gif

But always bear this in mind:
So much can go wrong.
thumbsup.gif

Reactions: yek
I think the old intro RUSH used to use was PERFECT. No Hype or Preconseptions, just Substance. It worked well for the 3 Stoogies too......
"Three Blind Mice":D

Personally, I have always wanted to have Aaron Coplands Fanfare for the Common Man as my intro music. It is a little drawn out though..

Aaron Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man - YouTube

My band never finds it as funny as me. People sometimes take performances too serious - all good speeches begin with a joke. So, why not? People should always do what they want with music.

I've never used intro music... but, what I have done is assembled samples of multiple people whispering various things over top of each other. I keep the volume relatively low so that the audience can't quite make out exactly what's being said... just bits and pieces. After a couple minutes, the creepy factor starts to get pretty high... which is the perfect moment to launch into a 220bpm blast beat and a nice thrashy gallop... then after a minute or so... STOP!

At this point (keep in mind... I am by myself, wearing a full costume, and I'm standing in the middle of the dance floor) the crowd does one of two things... they move in a bit closer or they take a few steps back... and wonder, "who the f*ck is this guy and why would they let him open for a local indie rock band!"

Behind my costume, I am smiling... because I'm going to take them with me on a weird road trip with no destination and we are all going to have a lot of FUN!

Then I start my show.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but if I did I'd use Janáčeks opening movement, Allegretto (Fanfare) from his Sinfonietta. It's less common than The Firebird Suite or Fanfare for the Common Man, yet it's still amazing. No charge.

Back
Top Bottom