Bamboo Shirt

Bamboo socks are amazing
How well do they last?

I'm currently having an argument with the universe about this. All the socks I've tried really are just rentals, since they get holes in them and die way sooner than I'd like. I've been using Gold Toe for some years, highly rated, and I can see in my purchase history that they've lasted shorter and shorter times.

Trying Dickies right now. Doubt they'll last, they seem quite thin, but they actually feel nicer than I'd expect. We'll see.

What socks are comfy and last and done coat $20 a pair?

Guys - newflash

Bamboo is used to make the fabric Rayon

Well-known soft fabric for as long as I’ve been alive (many decades).

FYI… It is flammable as Michael Jackson’s hair
(Ask me how I know)
Don't remember the fabric name, but many years ago when I used to have to iron shirts, I just barely touched a too-hot iron to one synthetic, and that section of it just disappeared, gone. Spooky.

"The fashion industry is one of the most polluting industries on the planet. According to the World Bank, 20 percent of water pollution globally is caused by textile processing, making it the second biggest polluter of freshwater resources on the planet. A full quarter of the chemicals produced in the world are used in textiles and it is also highly resource-intensive. With clothing consumption predicted to soar by 60 percent by 2030 through the rise of ever-faster fashion, the industry clearly needs to change course. Our campaign is focused on the manufacturing of viscose, a man-made cellulose fibre derived from wood pulp, which could be sustainable, but is often not due to its prevalent production methods. The campaign highlights the environmental and social impact of ‘dirty’ viscose production and shines light on the global supply chains."

https://changingmarkets.org/report/roadmap-towards-responsible-viscose-modal-fibre-manufacturing/

"The fashion industry is one of the most polluting industries on the planet. According to the World Bank, 20 percent of water pollution globally is caused by textile processing, making it the second biggest polluter of freshwater resources on the planet. A full quarter of the chemicals produced in the world are used in textiles and it is also highly resource-intensive. With clothing consumption predicted to soar by 60 percent by 2030 through the rise of ever-faster fashion, the industry clearly needs to change course. Our campaign is focused on the manufacturing of viscose, a man-made cellulose fibre derived from wood pulp, which could be sustainable, but is often not due to its prevalent production methods. The campaign highlights the environmental and social impact of ‘dirty’ viscose production and shines light on the global supply chains."

https://changingmarkets.org/report/roadmap-towards-responsible-viscose-modal-fibre-manufacturing/

You’ll have to blame my wife for this…… But that stuff can make absolutely some of the best bed linens I’ve ever slept on.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

IDK, I tried a bamboo shirt, it was heavy and the culms were constantly clanking together like a wind chime, it wasn't very form fitting and the long ones would poke me under the arms and in the nads when I sat down (not to mention what happens when sitting on the john). That shirt kinda tears up the backs of my guitars and gets dangerously in the way of my Windmill Pete imitation. I just don't have the same enthusiasm as you other guys. Am I missing something??

or you could just do as I do - wear everything including underwear and socks until there's nothing left but a few threads. :oops:

How well do they last?

I'm currently having an argument with the universe about this. All the socks I've tried really are just rentals, since they get holes in them and die way sooner than I'd like. I've been using Gold Toe for some years, highly rated, and I can see in my purchase history that they've lasted shorter and shorter times.

Trying Dickies right now. Doubt they'll last, they seem quite thin, but they actually feel nicer than I'd expect. We'll see.

What socks are comfy and last and done coat $20 a pair?

I over the last 2 years have switched out all my Gold Toe socks for various styles of Darn Tough socks, and I LOVE them!!

Thick for winter thin for summer. https://darntough.com/

Great Value when you consider

Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life!​

I over the last 2 years have switched out all my Gold Toe socks for various styles of Darn Tough socks, and I LOVE them!!

Thick for winter thin for summer. https://darntough.com/

Great Value when you consider

Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life!​

About 20 years ago in Wal Mart i bought a couple of pairs of socks called Worlds Best Work Socks. That was the brand name, not a tag line. I went back to get some more a week later but I never saw them again. They are still going strong.

Bamboo is crazy stuff. Apparently it's the fastest growing plant on earth. Some varieties can grow faster than an inch per hour! That's nuts.

Image if facial hair grew that fast. Instead of 5 o'clock shadow, you'd have a beard like Billy Gibbons by the end of the day.

Last edited:
I have been wearing silk shirts 99% of the time I leave the house for decades because I just love the feel of them. For this reason, I do NOT wear silk underwear ;~)) About 5 years ago, I found some "bamboo" viscose shirts that felt every bit as good as any silk (including Versace) that I had ever owned. For me though, the biggest advantage to the "bamboo" shirts is they are VERY easy to care for (washing machine, hang to dry, no wrinkles). This means no dry cleaning bills or trips to the store ;~)) This also means the shirt does not get wrinkled from a trip in the car to the restaurant or elsewhere ;~))

Now as far as I understand it, they can not call it "bamboo" (this shirt is made from bamboo fiber or viscose) because if it were to be called that, it would need to be made from strands of the the bamboo, and it is not (which is why I had been putting bamboo in quotes - I believe this is a FTC rule). The pulp is extracted from the bamboo and made into viscose fiber, which is then made into a fabric. Rayon is a marketing title for viscose best I know. And not all viscose (rayon) is made from bamboo. Other woods can and are made into viscose fiber as well. Also, not all viscose is going to be created equal. Some is going to be better than others, just like cotton or any other fabric material.

The article that admin M@ linked to certainly raises concerns and although the best practices could/should be followed, the price of producing the products will trump those practices in most cases until they are forced through laws/regulations to implement such best practices.

Long and short is, for me, viscose fiber has come a long way and I have been buying more and more shirts made of that material (I have about a dozen whereas I have about 100 silks). We also have bamboo fiber bed sheets and they are delightful as well.

Last edited:
Bamboo is crazy stuff. Apparently it's the fastest growing plant on earth. Some varieties can grow faster than an inch per hour! That's nuts.
And if you decide to plant you own bamboo, check a thousand times to ensure that it is a "clumper" bamboo rather than a "runner" bamboo! If you plant a runner bamboo, it will take over your property by sending shoots underground in all directions to spread! Clumpers stay in their space. The clumpers will grow into a larger patch over time, but it won't be sending out the shoots along the silk road to all corners of your earth!

Back
Top Bottom