Balancing the Preset volumes when using two different guitars?

richb

Inspired
Does anybody have any tips on how they balance the volume on presets when you're using two different types of guitars from one song to another? In my case, I use a PRS CE24 with stock humbuckers which I would say are close to a Duncan JB or '59. However; I recently purchased a Schecter Hellraiser with EMG's. The EMG's are much hotter and I'm just looking fo a good tip on how to balance the volume between presets for the PRS vs. presets for the Schecter.
Thanks for any insight.

Adjusting Input Level?

Or: put a Filter block in each preset. Set to NullFilter and set its Level to compensate the difference between the guitars. Assign an IA switch to the Filter. Engage/Bypass the Filter as desired when switching guitars.

Among my Strats and Tele I also now have a Strat with the new P-Rails in the bridge and neck and a SRV1 in the middle. I fine I need to adjust the tone also, not just the volume. But Yeks idea seems sound to me-I could use the filter for volume and a PEQ for tone and set them to the same IA. Cool. Nice idea Yek
Thanks

Adjusting Input Level?

Or: put a Filter block in each preset. Set to NullFilter and set its Level to compensate the difference between the guitars. Assign an IA switch to the Filter. Engage/Bypass the Filter as desired when switching guitars.

Yek, I think I get you filter block use idea, but I'm still left with the problem of identifying the volume difference which I have to compensate for. So I play the PRS. Unplug it, Play the Schecter, how can I remeber the volume of the PRS for comparison? That's where I'm a little stuck.
I was thinking about recording the PRS in Track 1 of a recorder. Set the same levels of track one, on track 2, play the Schecter then try to adjust those volume settings on the Ultra to match the track I just recorded for the PRS. I think that might get me in the ball park.

By ear plus a little trial and error. It's the only method that's works in my experience.

You could use a couple looper blocks to compare. Place first in the preset (assuming this is where you plan to adjust level), record one guitar with each, set up modifier(s) to A/B switch between playback as you find a suitable boost or cut for one guitar.

Another option if your controller supports it: switch between 2 input volume values instead of adding a filter or some other block.

Back
Top Bottom