Backing Tracks

Countryside

Greetings Everyone,

I see, and love, all the videos of tones on the forum so thanks to everyone who takes the time to make them.

My question is where do people find the backing tracks, both of artists songs and basic tracks for tone demos?

Secondly, what software are people using when recording their playing with the tracks for the video demo?

Thanks in advance.

When I did this: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/livin-on-a-prayer-preset-video.120612/, I found the backing track on YouTube, used http://www.vidtomp3.com to convert the YouTube clip to an MP3. Dragged the MP3 into Logic X. Since it was performed with my AX8, I used one of the Outputs of the AX8 into my Axe Fx 2 (I've ordered a SPDIF sound card for future recordings to use instead of the Axe Fx 2) and the Axe Fx 2 into Logic X. The video was recorded using Quicktime. When I got a take I was happy with, I dragged the video into Final Cut Pro, removed the audio from the quicktime movie. Exported the backingtrack + the Ax8 from Logic and dragged that into Final Cut Pro as well. Synced up the audio and video, cropped and added the descriptions, exported and uploaded to YouTube. There's a few steps involved but nothing too complicated (way easier than to do the Ax8 programming and learning to play it properly anyway :) ).

How about mogg files? You download some of them on the net some where?...LOL. Use Audacity to turn the mogg into all of the separate ogg files and export (to .wav or .ogg.) Then open the exported files in the DAW of your choice. FL Studio is good because it reads .ogg . Now you have multitrack backing tracks that you can pan, mute, add effects to etc. Take the guitar and vocals out and rock. Cheat even more by panning vocals and guitar one way and bass and drums the other. You can then route the vocals and guitar to headphone monitors and have the other instruments coming out the house speakers mixed with your own vocals and guitar. Spice to taste.

I've had pretty good luck using JamVOX software to isolate and/or remove instruments. Sometimes you have to run more than one pass for different song sections (for example, different filters may be needed to remove a guitar solo). It's easy enough to record these as separate tracks in a DAW and cut in and out as needed. You can download a demo version for free.

I've been constructing them myself. I find the sheet music online for the different parts of whatever song I'm doing and then work it out into Logic Pro X. If i feel like "cheating" I'll download the midi of the whole song which you can find simply by typing in something like 'joe satriani midi' and it'll be on of the first results. I like constructing them myself because then I have more control over the whole mix

As the keyboard player and guitar player in my band I'm to the point where i'd love to go tracks for some songs. Especially to keep up with top 40 hits. It would make my life easier. The site ChrisCG refers to looks to be the easiest, fastest way to tracks. Backup is the Ipod, the rest use your ipad or iphone to play them and you're set. I prefer to work with midi as speeding up and slowing down are options then.

This site is also helpful.
http://multitrackmaster.com/
Has a bunch of isolated tracks, and in some cases backing tracks. You can combine iso tracks in something like Logic, or Ableton to create backing tracks to play to.

Also, just a note that on sites like guitarbackingtracks.com (which is great) many of the tracks exist because of video games. Games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band licensed multi track versions of many songs, and then clever geeks figured out how to copy and convert those files from the games. Useless but fun info...

You all are the best thanks, los of great places to start. I'd like to start posting some Country chops through the Axe FXII as they're very few out there. Fractal Forum, best community online!

Also, just a note that on sites like guitarbackingtracks.com (which is great) many of the tracks exist because of video games. Games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band licensed multi track versions of many songs, and then clever geeks figured out how to copy and convert those files from the games. Useless but fun info...

The guitar hero tracks of death magnetic actually sound better than the original - I wish the Guitar hero tracks were on Spotify!

Back
Top Bottom