Backaches, chiropractors and studio chairs...

Greg Smith

Inspired
Well, my chiropractor asked me today if I sit around hunched over a lot, as he thinks that is the cause for my lower/mid back problems. Well, I do play a lot of guitar. Of course, he recommended getting a good chair to sit in. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good studio chair - preferably with arms that move out of the way?

Well, my chiropractor asked me today if I sit around hunched over a lot, as he thinks that is the cause for my lower/mid back problems. Well, I do play a lot of guitar. Of course, he recommended getting a good chair to sit in. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good studio chair - preferably with arms that move out of the way?
I have this. Had it a few years and it's survived a few moves. Still going strong.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/7678230/RS-Gaming-RGX-Faux-Leather-High/

As always... I suggest playing standing up or sitting on a ball.
No chair in the world will give you a proper position.

And don't forget to stay fit (as every human being should do) and play guitar as you're training (warmup, rest, conditioning, cool down)

Last edited:
As always... I suggest playing standing up or sitting on a ball.
No chair in the world will give you a proper position.

And don't forget to stay fit (as ever human being should do) and play guitar as you're training (warmup, rest, conditioning, cool down)
Amen to this. I literally had to take months off from playing due to lower back and neck issues. The thing that has helped me the most is dead lifts (using proper form). Still, I carefully control the amount of time I play sitting down, and I'm very careful about my posture when sitting and playing.

I suggest seeing a good PT or deep tissue massage therapist to get the muscles ready for strengthening, do plenty of stretching, and do things like push ups, pull ups, crunches and dead lifts. And wear shoes that have a wide toe box and no drop.

I would suggest a standing desk. I know that isn’t always an option but building a platform for your desk may be an option. I use an adjustable height desk and sit on a tall stool or stand and I my back feels a lot better having the standing option.

Is that actual leather or not? You said "faux", but they say "bonded", which sounds like some variant of real leather.

(I'm vegetarian, avoid leather when I can, which is mostly.)
In the specs descriptions, it says furnishing - leather. So apparently, it is bonded leather. The arm coverings do not feel especially thick, meaning the leather will likely wear thin sooner and require duct tape.

TBH, I used to buy used office chairs from a reclaimed office furniture store. They were good deals, but the seat adjusting air piston or arm coverings would typically wear out or tear after a year or 3.

I'd likely revisit the used store again for my bedroom study desk...locate a nice office chair with fabric seat and arms, with working seat adjustments...$60 to $70.

FWIW - you can often find very expensive office chairs like Herman Miller, at auctions where businesses are shutting down. I have a few H-M rolling chairs in my workshop that I picked up for 20% of retail.

More work though to purchase/bid.

Recently purchased this one several months ago; tilt-back arms, adjustable height, non-adjustable tilt-seat, good faux leather cushioning...assembled it myself in about 90 minutes...

https://www.staples.com/staples-eme...-chair-black-and-red-51465-cc/product_2710774

In the specs descriptions, it says furnishing - leather. So apparently, it is bonded leather. The arm coverings do not feel especially thick, meaning the leather will likely wear thin sooner and require duct tape...
I have the same chair (in purple) and it has held up well for the past 3 or 4 years. It's the only place in the house where I sit more than a minute or so; it sees my butt for at least 10 hours per day. The edges of the arm rests are starting to show some wear but all in all, it has done nicely.

And FYI I just learned that "bonded leather" is this:

https://www.btod.com/blog/what-is-bonded-leather/

I happen to be on the hunt for a chair as well. I had high hopes for that Vortex gamer chair from Staples and it was on sale, so I went down to check it out. It is very comfortable, but the arms don’t quite come up far enough for me: just a little bit in the way of my arms when it’s up.

There were two there that had arms that did go all the way up and out of the way:

https://www.staples.com/staples-sorina-bonded-leather-chair-black-58262/product_2719542

https://www.staples.com/la-z-boy-me...cutive-chair-brown-60082-brn/product_24566417

The big advantage that the Lazy Boy has is an adjustable lumbar, however, the Sorina is half off and costs 1/3 of the Lazy Boy with the discount. Also, the tags in the store rate the Lazy Boy for 5-6 hours vs 3-5 for the Sorina.

Last edited:
I happen to be on the hunt for a chair as well. I had high hopes for that Vortex gamer chair from Staples and it was on sale, so I went down to check it out. It is very comfortable, but the arms don’t quite come up far enough for me: just a little bit in the way of my arms when it’s up.

There were two there that had arms that did go all the way up and out of the way:

https://www.staples.com/staples-sorina-bonded-leather-chair-black-58262/product_2719542

https://www.staples.com/la-z-boy-me...cutive-chair-brown-60082-brn/product_24566417

The big advantage that the Lazy Boy has is an adjustable lumbar, however, the Sorina is half off and costs 1/3 of the Lazy Boy with the discount. Also, the tags in the store rate the Lazy Boy for 5-6 hours vs 3-5 for the Sorina.
Actually, looking at the pictures online, I’m not sure that the arms on the Lazy Boy are supposed to go back as far as the ones on the floor model did. They did feel kinda loose on the floor model, might have been broken or pushed beyond where a new one would be. Can’t tell with the Sorina as they don’t have pictures with the arms up.

I’m gonna try to assemble it tonight. I just noticed on the box that it is endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association.

Also, it was only $300 in store. May have been a local thing but might be worth checking before ordering online.

Years ago, I chucked "office" style chairs and started using a Roc-n-Soc drum throne. I popped some wheels on it, and I'm in it both for work, and guitar playing. I mean, basically all day.

I used to have a lot of lower back issues. I had a number of different exercises I'd do to try and mitigate that, but sometimes would really be miserable. I can honestly say, that in the last ~6 years I've been using the drum throne, I've had zero issues.

I have the Lunar series one, lifts up and down, and you can replace the feet with casters. I actually bought the backrest for it, but found I never used it so took it off. I imagine my sitting posture has improved a lot.

Looks good, post back how it works out for you.
I’ve got about ten or so hours on that chair now, including a 3 hour late night marathon last night. So far, zero complaints. Very comfortable and arms go 100% out of my way. Actually found myself using just the left arm with the right flipped up for a bit last night. I’ve noticed I haven’t had the tightness in my back that was bugging me when I used a regular chair with arms and just sat at the edge of the seat for hours on end.

Proper nutrition
Stay active
Consult with a licensed dietitian and physical therapist.

There is no substitute for inactivity that serve as a physical intervention other than physical activity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom