Back up speaker dilemma

Hugh Jago

I have 2 Yamaha DXR12s that I've been using with my AX8 as back speakers instead of a cabinet. I have a gig coming up where we'll have to use them as FOH. My dilemma is what can I use behind me that isn't going to cost me a bundle. My hard rig is a Mesa Boogie Mk V with a 1x12 open cabinet, but I don't want to use it (or just use the cabinet with the AX8)
So on the cheaper side would appear to be JBL 612 (or 610 or 615) or the ELX 112p. At least that way we've got a spare floor monitor when needed.
My questions are:
1. Are either of these two speakers worth buying to use with AX8 or as a FM?
2. What are other options do other members suggest, remembering cost vs use as this situation may occur only few times a year?
3. Any other powered speakers that are preferable than the ones mentioned?
I appreciate all suggestions.
Hb

Maybe seeing it's a rare occurrence you could hire something .... or be very naughty and buy something that you could return.

But then again you already have a standby rig in the Mesa so if it was me I'd be using it.

I have 2 Yamaha DXR12s that I've been using with my AX8 as back speakers instead of a cabinet. I have a gig coming up where we'll have to use them as FOH. My dilemma is what can I use behind me that isn't going to cost me a bundle. My hard rig is a Mesa Boogie Mk V with a 1x12 open cabinet, but I don't want to use it (or just use the cabinet with the AX8)
So on the cheaper side would appear to be JBL 612 (or 610 or 615) or the ELX 112p. At least that way we've got a spare floor monitor when needed.
My questions are:
1. Are either of these two speakers worth buying to use with AX8 or as a FM?
2. What are other options do other members suggest, remembering cost vs use as this situation may occur only few times a year?
3. Any other powered speakers that are preferable than the ones mentioned?
I appreciate all suggestions.
Hb
I've had experience with Seismic Audio. Best bang for the buck. 10"~12"~15" passive or active COAXIAL boxes. Great service, quality product....I recommend these on the forum all the time, folk probably think I work for them. Nope, just recommending another good company.

Maybe seeing it's a rare occurrence you could hire something .... or be very naughty and buy something that you could return.

But then again you already have a standby rig in the Mesa so if it was me I'd be using it.

Many thanks, Maybe that's the way to go. Hauling pedal boards, cab stands, Channel selectors etc ........... oh how I've missed it!

I've had experience with Seismic Audio. Best bang for the buck. 10"~12"~15" passive or active COAXIAL boxes. Great service, quality product....I recommend these on the forum all the time, folk probably think I work for them. Nope, just recommending another good company.

Thanks I'll check them out.
Hugh

With this being an unusual happening for you, I'd be asking around for a loaner or cheap rental for a few days. See if there are some fellow FAS users in your vicinity who can hook you up. Local music stores can also be a good source for a loan or rental, just make sure you pay them back with some business... its good business for you too!

Thanks, the problem with a loaner is the unknown quality aspect of the unit. As much as I'm not a big fan of the JBL 612 it does have a known quality aspect.

You might consider grabbing the loaners for your PA! This way you know for sure what your rig will sound like. One way or another you're going to be walking in unknown territory (unless you can find some other DXR12s). Best of luck!

For cheap money and even cheaper on ebay you can grab a pair of EV ZLX 12P's. They work great and you can use them for monitors when not using them as a back line. I just picked up a brand new pair on ebay for 534.00 free shipping using the best offer from Alto Music.
They sound awsome with the AX8 and just as good for monitors....

You might consider grabbing the loaners for your PA! This way you know for sure what your rig will sound like. One way or another you're going to be walking in unknown territory (unless you can find some other DXR12s). Best of luck!
Thank god for brains. Many thanks good idea.

For an inexpensive backup solution I would also have to give a nob to Seismic Audio! The SAX series speakers are great for the money.

I own both the EV zlx and a Seismic SAX 12 and for a floor monitor the Seismic kills the EV's in many respects, wider sweet spot, smaller foot print and overall sound is more present.

The one downside is they are a little heavy.

Back
Top Bottom