Babyface ~ Saffire 40 ~ Logic / Mix Control vs TotalMix

mwd

Power User
Got a new Babyface with TotalMix Software. Am used to Saffire 40 with Mix Control. With Mix Control working with Logic I mute the (guitar) track in Logic and I have 1 slider in Mix Control that sets my playback guitar level, 1 slider that sets the level of the remaining tracks and 1 slider that will set the overall level.

TotalMix is confusing me. I can't get the sliders to change any levels except the main output level. I can't get any sound from my armed guitar track in Logic with it muted so I'm guessing you don't mute it.

I know it's a tall order but is there anyone out there that has used all of the above components or at least is using TotalMix with Logic?

Thanks!

I use totalmix with both logic and ableton and I think it works great,

what is your I/O setup on the babyface?

Totalmix outlines all the IO on the RME device, that is, all the routing of hardware & digital inputs to the hardware outputs.

The digital pass through to Logic should be handled in logic, so if you want to record a track from Hardware input 1, in the logic channel strip input setting, you must select input 1 from the Babyface.

Now if you want to rout your master logic output to one of the digital inputs on the babyface, that will also be done in the logic channel strip setting (set it to output XX), then you will see when logic is playing, your 'software inputs' in total mix respond to logic's output.

It does get a little confusing at times :(, but once you get the hang of it, its very easy to rout I/O. :)

I have both totalmix and mix control. RME(total mix) is far better, professional....to change the out put-fader combination click on the numbers(outputs) right under the fader and choose the output u want. Hope it helps, totalmix can be confusing but once u figure out its latency free total control for each channel and any output.

At present I have analog out from Fractal to Babyface AN1 & AN2 Input.
I mute and arm the stereo guitar track in Logic and set input to 1/2.
Channel Outputs in Logic are all set to default Stereo Out.

The outputs from the 3 banks of sliders in TotalMix are all set to Main Out with headphones plugged into side.

I am now able to adjust my tracking tracks, backing tracks and total out in TotalMix but the latency is outrageous. The whole claim of this rig is near zero latency so I have to have something wrong. Logic buffer at is at 32.

My Logic output automatically showed up in TotalMix so I am curious, EVZ about your sentence 5. I did not change individual channel strip outputs from Logic default of Stereo Out.

For me, I use the UFX, not sure what the IO is on totalmix for the Babyface, but I do not have a latency issue, could you post a screenshot of your total mix window and logic window? Where are your backing tracks playing from? Logic?

Also, are you running AFX -> RME-> PC -> RME -> headphones? That will cause a large amount of latency, what I do, is in the RME route the AFX directly to the headphones, and also to my PC, and do not monitor through PC as it will add latency, so when I record on PC I mute the monitoring track.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do run the Ax to RME to iMac and plug headphones into RME.

I arm Track 1/2 in Logic and mute it. The output of the track is Stereo Out. The remaining tracks (backing) are all stereo out.

In Total Mix I send the AX 1/2 and Logic Software Mix to Headphones.

Sounds great and correct when I record but on playback I literally have to nudge the recorded track to the left to get any resemblence of correctness.

Had some hackers keep injecting code to sell 'gold for less' on some of my websites so I had the host lock them for a while.

I'll see if I have one open for FTP to post some pix.

I use a RME Fireface with totalmix. I'm not sure if you are using the same version of TM, but the thing I had to learn was that it has nothing to do with input. It's all about monitoring, software output, and analog outputs. The top row is about monitoring to analog output targets. The middle row contains the controls for software outputs from the computer, and finally row 3 is all about control of your interface outputs.

The only way you can control input levels at the interface or by controlling it the source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I do run the Ax to RME to iMac and plug headphones into RME.

I arm Track 1/2 in Logic and mute it. The output of the track is Stereo Out. The remaining tracks (backing) are all stereo out.

In Total Mix I send the AX 1/2 and Logic Software Mix to Headphones.

Sounds great and correct when I record but on playback I literally have to nudge the recorded track to the left to get any resemblence of correctness.

Had some hackers keep injecting code to sell 'gold for less' on some of my websites so I had the host lock them for a while.

I'll see if I have one open for FTP to post some pix.

The routing sounds exactly like in my case.

I just tried to record a bit over a loop, and in my case, I had no latency in recording (I was actually pre-emptive on my strums by 1/32 of the beat), or playback, everything seems good to me.

My setup: AFX (AES)->RME->Mac with software monitoring from Logic (stereo out) to the RME and listening through the RME headphones.

Logic X, buffer size 128, estimated latency at around 7.4ms, audio @ 44.1kHz.

Not too sure what could be the issue at the moment in your case... do you use the DC power with the RME unit or buss-powered (not that it should cause an issue)...

I tracked some vocals last nite, in mono, with the new Babyface and am very impressed. I have some slight confusion as to the output routing. I just wanted to go to headphones so I selected phones at the bottom of AN/1. In the control room it seemed whether assign selected Main Out or Phones I still got the signal in the phones so I am unclear as to the correct setting for assign just to run thru phones.

Another area of confusion. Coming out of our LA610 pre-amp the level into Logic was a bit lower using the Babyface vs Saffire 40. I opened the 'wrench' and adjusted the gain knob on AN/1. The level went up in the armed Logic channel.

I thought I had understood that TotalMix was strictly a monitoring device but the record level went up in my Logic strip. Does that gain knob actually bump the recording level or did I just bump the listening level?

Back
Top Bottom