AxeII + DAW levels during recording

No dice. Volume block at 0. guitar is sent to output 2 via FXL but signal still comes thru(out2) whether track is armed or not, no volume or pan control within DAW. backing tracks only come thru output 1...

No dice. Volume block at 0. guitar is sent to output 2 via FXL but signal still comes thru(out2) whether track is armed or not, no volume or pan control within DAW. backing tracks only come thru output 1...

The setup described doesn't include a connection from the Output 2 jacks to anything else. The Axe will be sending guitar directly to those jacks, but the intent is to monitor via Out 1 only.

The setup described doesn't include a connection from the Output 2 jacks to anything else. The Axe will be sending guitar directly to those jacks, but the intent is to monitor via Out 1 only.

Yep, i'm just explaining what i'm experiencing and trying not to leave anything out. That said, i get guitar signal in DAW but no actual audio from output 1(track armed or not) except the backing tracks, coming from DAW...

That means monitoring isn't enabled or there's another DAW settings issue. What software are you using, and have you configured monitoring through it before?

That means monitoring isn't enabled or there's another DAW settings issue. What software are you using, and have you configured monitoring through it before?

PT10, heres another screenshot showing both wet and dry signals responding, but im getting no audio(take my word for it lol). you can also see that the faders have zero effect on the signal. if i record something, i can hear it in playback, but that obviously doesnt help. all channels are routed to mon 1-2, the only output it gives you within the PT i/o menu.....
ptscreen.jpg

Well, I've figured out it's definitely some issue happening within PT. I just tried it in ableton and it works perfectly fine. audio when track is armed, none when not armed....

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.. But I came back to this problem trying to use the AxeFX II as a soundcard again...

I don't know if this has been solved or not, and I know there are ways around this, but to make this a global affair without fidgeting around with your prestes when your trying to record while using the Axe FX II as a soundcard...

The solution isn't being able to crank the USB return volume from your DAW in the Axe FX, because all that does is make it easier to clip the Axe FX.

I think the solution is to make a global direct monitoring volume so you can trim the volume of ALL the presets to the output to the monitors, so when you are playing your guitar through the presets, you can adjust the volume of the guitar down to make it quieter, while the DAW output, and record out via USB stay the same.

Is there a way to do this now without adding extra blocks and workarounds? That would be sweet. A toggle between normal and a preset one would make would also be sweet.. but the actual control is the most important part.

Apparently there is another workaround lol...
Haven't tried it yet though since I'm away from my gear...

USB/DIGI Out Source = Output 2

Output 2 Echo = Output 1

Lower Output 1 Global EQ gain slider to reduce monitored guitar level. This won't affect USB playback or recording levels.

I realize that I'm late to this thread, but those that are concerned about the USB DI (dry) levels shouldn't be. I have a Radial DI here, as well as a Radial X-AMP. In concert with my audio interfaces, they make up a pseudo-analog path (I say pseudo because at some point everything is digitized). The short version is that I tried recording my DI signal both digitally (via USB) and analog (via the Radial gear).

Looking at the DI signal from USB and analog they appeared remarkably similar:

Mini DI clip.jpg

The top signal is analog. The bottom signal is the Axe-FX II USB dry signal. Now it is possible that I normalized the USB signal, but you can see that the net result is the same - all of the detail in the USB DI signal has been preserved, and accurately reflect the analog path.

So the lesson here is that the Axe-FX II DI USB signal is credible in terms of all the nuances. Save the $500+ I probably spent for DI/reamp gear (although I can use it elsewhere than the Axe-FX) and really trust the USB DI.

I go direct to DAW (Reaper) via USB. I use my interface to monitor. Not using my Axe as sound card.
No discernible latency.
I set my output level to achieve -18dB on the track level meter on the Wet track.
The DI track is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom