AxeFXii XL in two different amps effects loops??

MikeBelanger

I want to put my axe fx into the effects loops of two different amp head simultaneously. I can not seem to make it work.

Tried this.
Amp1 Send to AxeFX Input1 Left Rear
AxeFX Output1 Left to Amp1 Return
(First Row AxeFX Block chain from left to right is: shunts connected all the way across input to output with my effects in between)

Amp 2 Send to AxeFX Input 2 Left Rear
Axe FX Output2 to Amp 2 Return
(Second Row AxeFX Block chain from left to right is: Return Block- effects-Send (not connected to input or output at either end)

Thought?
Thanks!

The feedback send and return blocks are for routing internally between grid locations, not what you're trying to do here.

First check the I/O: Audio menu and verify Input 1 and Output 1 modes are "stereo", and "Input 1 Left Select" = "rear".

The first row of shunts you built will then pass the two amps' signals in stereo from In 1 L/R to Out 1 L/R.

To build separate effect chains for each amp, some attention to balance settings is needed. Often you can just balance the first and last block (or use row balances in output block mixer) in a path to either side, but there can be scenarios where you'd want to use a vol/pan or filter block at the start of a chain with its input select parameter set to the appropriate channel.

Thank you so much for replying! So I should go?

1) I/O Menu Options
-Input1 Stereo
-Input1 Rear
-Output1 Stereo

2) Global Menu
-Cabinet Modelling Off
-Power Amp Modelling Off

3) The Grid Block Chain
-Shunts all the way across connected to input and output
-On the chain = Compressor, Delay, Reverb (I go the same effects for both amps)
-No need to use thr FXloop Block at all then...?

4) The Cables
4a. Vox AC30Head Send to Axe Input1 Left
4b. Axe Output1 Left to Vox AC30Head Return
4c. Marshall Head Send to Axe Input1 Right
4d. Axe Output1 Right to Marshall Head Return

5) My Guitar plugs into an ABY pedal

Last edited:
That should work. You may want to add the vol/pan or filter to select L/R at the start of each row, otherwise you need to remember to use a compressor type with a sidechain select parameter, select the correct side and balance it the same way. Also remember the final balancing; the most foolproof way to set it would be the output block's pan (really balance) controls for each row.

This is all assuming you're building two separate rows. You could try one shared row but the compressor would apply the same gain to both channels and the reverb would be a mix of both tones in both channels.

@mike Belanger could you clarify if what you're trying to do is to just have two separate post preamp effects chains, or if what you really want is to run a dual four cable method setup where you can run independent fx chains both pre preamp and post preamp of both your heads?

If it's just two post preamp fx chains, then you would want to set it up like this:

Amp 2 fx send to Input 2 right > then for that amp's fx row, place a Vol block to only accept the right input > fx chain > Vol block to pan all the right > Output 1 R

You say you're actually using the same effects for both amps. I'm sure you've thought about this already, but do you definitely want the compressor after the preamps of both your heads? A compressor would work a lot better before it hits either amp unless you really want to compress some palm mutes after high gain or do some extreme volume ducks.

I would take it a step further and get hold of some humbuster cables first. Then, do a dual four cable method setup so you're free to place any effect in front of either amp and/or after either amp's effect send, and the use your ABY pedal to go into either fx chain or both:

Guitar > ABY pedal

ABY pedal out L > In 1 Left > Vol block to only accept the L input > pre fx chain >Vol block to pan all to the left > Out 2 L > Amp 1 front input > Amp 1 fx send to Input 2 left > then for that amp's fx row, place a Vol block to only accept the left input > fx chain > Vol block to pan all to the left > Output 1 L

ABY pedal out R > In 1 Right > Vol block to only accept the R input > pre fx chain >Vol block to pan all to the right > Out 2 R > Amp 2 front input > Amp 2 fx send to Input 2 right > then for that amp's fx row, place a Vol block to only accept the right input > fx chain > Vol block to pan all to the left > Output 1 R.

Not that in this fual four cable method rig, your post preamp fx don't need to be panned if you actually want a mix of both those post fx chains to then run in stereo into the two heads' returns.

Be sure to get some iso boxes handy in addition to the humbuster cables as i'm almost certain you'll get ground loops with any of the setups i've suggested, or Bakerman's above.

It would be great to get a clearer picture of what you're trying to achieve in your overall stereo image..ie whether it's two dual mono post preamp fx chains, or if you actually want a "stereo mix" of the two amp's fx sends to then go into one delay and one reverb, so that you an hear the delays and reverbs in stereo by treating the returns/power stages of both heads as one big stereo power amp.

Also as per Bakerman's post, definitely use the Output block as a balance control instead of the final Vol blocks i suggested above.

Thanks for reaching out! Ok firstly note that Bakerman solution works like a dream. The axefx is now in the effects loops of both amps. Thank you.

To Luca, my why for this setup is as follows. I am using the AxeFXii as a sort of preamp attenuator. My AC30head and JCM900head are just too loud when I push their master volumes (but I like the way they sound with masterV at 5 or 6) I am finding by putting an axefx compressor block in their effects loops (Studio, thres -50, level -10db) I get to push these master volumes.

Additionally both these heads are noisy as it is so I have found by using the AxeFX input noise-gate after the preamps I can really take out this noise.

In truth I would love to 4CM both of these heads ( 8 Cable method lol complicated stuff...) I’d love to get my drive block out in front of these heads, I will re read your post a few time and see if I have any questions...

Note The ABY I am using sounds like crap and I get noisy ground loops and unpredictable button presses, I am looking at the Radial JD7 Amp Distributor and have heard good things. Typically I just have a different guitar plugged into each head and choose which combination based on song9FC58F4C-A58E-4AC8-B946-C9A703737F4A.jpeg

Thanks for reaching out! Ok firstly note that Bakerman solution works like a dream. The axefx is now in the effects loops of both amps. Thank you.

To Luca, my why for this setup is as follows. I am using the AxeFXii as a sort of preamp attenuator. My AC30head and JCM900head are just too loud when I push their master volumes (but I like the way they sound with masterV at 5 or 6) I am finding by putting an axefx compressor block in their effects loops (Studio, thres -50, level -10db) I get to push these master volumes.

Additionally both these heads are noisy as it is so I have found by using the AxeFX input noise-gate after the preamps I can really take out this noise.

In truth I would love to 4CM both of these heads ( 8 Cable method lol complicated stuff...) I’d love to get my drive block out in front of these heads, I will re read your post a few time and see if I have any questions...

Note The ABY I am using sounds like crap and I get noisy ground loops and unpredictable button presses, I am looking at the Radial JD7 Amp Distributor and have heard good things. Typically I just have a different guitar plugged into each head and choose which combination based on songView attachment 115621

Ok got it. Super clear and lovely looking rig. Yep Bakerman is indeed the Axe-Master.

Have you considered an actual attenuator instead to take care of the too loud volume issue? It's a shame that you're having to slightly "choke" the signal hitting the power stages with a compressor which means you'll get less action from the power tubes.

Interesting that the heads are noisy. I'm guessing that's the post preamp hiss you're talking about.

4CM (or 8CM!) method works great and in your case it would eliminate the need for any ABY pedals or switchers because you could use the Axe to switch between Input 1 Left or Right with the MFC

Back
Top Bottom