AxeFxII via SPDIF to Saffire Pro 40

nimp0u

Hi,

i want to monitor my Axe with my IF (Saffire Pro 40 interface). I have connected the SPDIF out (of the Axe) to the SPDIF in (of the IF). The Axe is set to SPDIF and the IF clock source to SPDIF (external) but it won't lock to the signal source (Axe). The sample rate is also set to 48 kHz, so it should match.

I contacted the Saffire support first, but they couldnt help me with my problem.

Does anyone have a clue or a hint what may cause the problem? In my opinion i did everything right but obviously there is something wrong =(

Thanks in advance.

Im having the exact same issue with a Firestudio by Presonus. I connected everything and then it wont treat the Axe FX as the master and keeps setting the clock to 44.1

This might be a different issue from the OP. Are you using Windows, and did you only change the samplerate via the Presonus mixer software? If so, try setting at the windows playback device properties instead.

http://www.noteloop.com/assets/img/help/tutorials/how-to-common-sample-rate-windows/7.png

Im having the exact same issue with a Firestudio by Presonus. I connected everything and then it wont treat the Axe FX as the master and keeps setting the clock to 44.1

I use Saffire Pro 40 w/ spdif and have had no issues.

Capture.PNG

I would double check your cables.. make sure
[saffire out] -> [axe spdif in]
and
[saffire in] -> [axe spdif out]

edit:
I'm using the latest mix-control (v3.3), available here: Downloads | Focusrite

http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.ne...te/downloads/18233/saffire-mixcontrol-3.3.exe

Which is windows 7/8 only.. I'm running windows 8.

Last edited:
Do I need a loopback? I only want to monitor (and record) the output of my Axe with my Saffire IF. I assumed that its enough to connect the Axe Out with the Saffire In.
Is the Saffire SPDIF Out -> Axe SPDIF In required for propper synchronization?

I Have now connected:

Axe out -> Saffire in
Saffire out -> Axe in

But it does not work. I dont know what the problem is. Do i have to set something other up in the mixcontrol of the saffire? i have only setup spdif 1.1 and spdif 1.2 in the mix, where i get noise (on the level meters - but i dont hear it). Or do i have to set somethin up on the Axe? i have only choosen the spdif out where i can choose between spdif and aes in the axe settings.

The Saffire out -> Axe in connection isn't needed for this.

Are you keeping the Axe set to use the analog front input? (This is correct if that's what your guitar is connected to. If you had switched to digital you'd see the "no input clock" message.)

Is the digital out source set to Output 1?

Did you unmute the SPDIF channels in Mixcontrol and turn up to hear what's there? Can you post a screenshot of Mixcontrol?

The settings all look correct. All I can think of to suggest: unplug & reconnect the SPDIF cable, try a different one if possible. If you happen to have a coaxial to optical SPDIF converter, you could try that as well with the MixControl "Use ADAT as Optical SPDIF" option enabled.

If no luck, choose File: Save to hardware then then power off Saffire, disconnect FW cable and power on. Normally it should sync then. It should when connected to the computer too of course, but this eliminates the possibility of the OS somehow preventing sync.

I bought a new cable, because i suspected the old one to be somehow broken, but it doesnt work with the new one either..

This is what i bought: Cable

I have no Coax2Opt converter, but I will try it with unplugged FW and with NMGs saffire settings when I am back at home.

Nope. I had an exam today, so I had to prepare myself for it. I will test it in the next 1-2 days and report.

Back
Top Bottom