AxeFxII + MFC101 + Voodoolab GCX switcher

barhrecords

Axe-Master
I was looking at using the Voodoo Lab GCX switcher to integrate some pedals with my AxeFx II.

Anyone tried this?

It has a powered midi port and I was thinking the AxeFx II midi out would be okay to connect to the GCX?

Richard

I use this same setup. I power the MFC 101 with the Ethercon (CAT 5) cable and run the midi cable from the Axe thru port to the GCX. You have to configure the instant access parameters for the switches you want on the MFC to the midi numbers that activate the loops on the GCX. It works great for me.

Very cool.

Was there any special consideration for the midi cable from the AxeFx -> GCX in regards to the phantom power provided by the GCX?

Richard

I just used a short standard 5-pin cable for connecting the AXE to the GCX. I'm at work but I think to get power from the midi port on the GCX for powering a ground control pro you have to use a 7-pin cable. This would eliminate power flowing from the GCX if you used a 5-pin cable

the GCX loops will be activated by CC messages from midi......you can use the MFC for that
so in fact you don't need the 7 pin midi .....its only used to power the peadal board, yours will be powered by the axe

the GCX loops will be activated by CC messages from midi......you can use the MFC for that
so in fact you don't need the 7 pin midi .....its only used to power the peadal board, yours will be powered by the axe

I think you are misunderstanding. I know how to power the MFC.

I am worrying about the GCX phantom MIDI power frying the AxeFx II MIDI Thru when I connect the GCX to the AxeFx.

MFC is sorted.

Richard

oh yes you're right......
I did not realize that there was no 7 pin midi in on the GCX and that they had wired a 9v power supply on the 5 pin midi cable!

You can pick up a RJM RG-16 fairly cheap ($400ish) which doesn't need a short loop to connect each pedal in series. It only needs one to go from 4-5 I believe The RG is more flexible and has a write button on the front along with buttons to switch in and out each loop. The Rack Effects Gizmo is also great. After using RJM products I ditched all my GCX-GCP stuff. I do still like the GC Pro, works great with RJM products.

Was the power issue from the GCX Midi in ever sorted? Can I use a standard 5 pin from Axe FX Midi Thru or should I disconnect pins at either end of the "smile" (1 and 3, I believe)?

hello.. im trying to set up my rig like this... MarkV:25 - AXEFx2xl+ - GCX Switcher - MFC101..

Im not able to get the switcher to work with the MFC101...

what am i missing.. i know the cc numbers i need to use but where???

can someone be specific...

MFC101 - setup - midi - ???
AxeFx - i/o - ????

Any help will be gratefull ... thank you..

here is a diagram of what im running .. i got other pedals to add but jus trying to communicate with the switcher.. once i figure that out the rest should be a breeze..

p.s. i may end up running it 4cm but first MFC>>GCX communications is required..

file.php

Reactions: BRC
Back
Top Bottom