AxeFx2 / Mesa MkVII FX loop question

Billbill

Power User
I’ve read the good book and searched online for using the AxeFx for ONLY effects with all effects going straight into the Mesa head. Not 4CM because I want full use out of the Mesa head, not trying to bypass preamp stages or whatever.
How do I do this via input or output 2 without connecting anything to the Mesa amps main input because it’s actually ran into an amp switcher. I saw the diagram showing AxeFx out2 FX send going directly into the amp head’s FXL return with a single cable. I don’t intend to use amp or cab block for this particular preset so throwing in the FXL on the grid too obviously.
Remember can’t use the Mesa main input so is this effects only thing still possible? Thx
Bill

ok, tried it -Didn’t work:(
Ran axe out2 left into Mesa FXL return and axe in2 left to Mesa send. Blank shunt with FXL block at end with “test delay” block at beginning. Adjusted out 2 front knob but all I’m hearing is the normal Mesa tone, nothing in the grid is being heard through the Mesa rig. Not sure if there’s an IO setting but input 2 is set to mono and I believe out2 is set to stereo. Wtf am I missing?

The primary purpose of 4CM is to be able to put wah, compressor, dirt/OD in front of the amps preamp, and effects such as delay and reverb after it. This is particularly important with amps that get all of their distortion in the preamp (such as Mesas) because running delay and reverb before distortion will yield typically undesirable results.

Reactions: JTI
What’s going into Input 1?
Input 1 on the AxeFx goes straight into an amp/cab selector so when I have “amp1” selected on the switcher I can run the AxeFx stereo output 1 L/R into matrix rig. Switch over to “amp2” on switcher and it mutes axe input 1 so I can run the Mesa Mk7 with the same cabs, L&R. This completely bypasses the AxeFx/matrix.

Mesa FX send into Axe Input 1 on the back. Output 1 on the Axe to the Mesa FX Return. In the I/O menu select Rear for Input 1.

This is how I use mine in loops of tube amps. I currently have mine ran in stereo in a rack mixer in parallel after my tube preamp.

Mesa FX send into Axe Input 1 on the back. Output 1 on the Axe to the Mesa FX Return. In the I/O menu select Rear for Input 1.

This is how I use mine in loops of tube amps. I currently have mine ran in stereo in a rack mixer in parallel after my tube preamp.
That’s pretty much what I did except I used input 2/output2 because input 1 and output 1 are being used already.

That’s pretty much what I did except I used input 2/output2 because input 1 and output 1 are being used already.
the Axe2 has In 2 and Out 2 in a single block, the FX Loop block. how are you getting signal into that block?

the Axe2 has In 2 and Out 2 in a single block, the FX Loop block. how are you getting signal into that block?
I’m not apparently because I’m not hearing any of the effects I put on the grid in front of the FXL block. Is this something in I/O that I didn’t set right? Input 2 was set to L mono I think and out2 set stereo and I believe they were defaults so I just left it alone.

Damn after reading the book again it appears that the grid’s left main input block is by default INPUT 1 so if the AxeFx input is muted from my switcher than no signal will pass through the grid to reach the FXL block to send signal to output 2! So I guess it can’t be done. Damn there’s gotta be a way

Back
Top Bottom