AXEFX2 as a recording interface... Gotta a question for experienced users.

SommonE

Hi all,

I currently use a 4-5 year old EMU 004USB interface to record my guitars from the Axe, my Krome keyboards and my buddy's vocals. Problem is I am using the quarter inch outs of the Axe to feed the EMU (which converts the signal to analog), then the EMU feeds Cubase 7 (which converts it again to digital). I imagine I am taking a hit on recording quality doing this. I know i can go SPIDF into the EMU, but if i can get rid of the middleman I will.

I would like to take a shot at using the Axe as my only interface to avoid these conversions back and forth, and put away the EMU.

Is it stupid to use the Axe as the interface for my singer? And the keybaords i would like to go stereo into the Axe to record stereo tracks, so how does that work exactly?

I've seen the connection diagrams in the manual, but i dont recall seeing anything on vox or keyboards.

Thanks
Mitch

I had difficulties getting my axe to work with vocals. The volume was always really low for some reason.

Then again it was probably just easier for me to switch to my Tascam than spend the 10 minutes it would have taken to get it working.

I had difficulties getting my axe to work with vocals. The volume was always really low for some reason.

Then again it was probably just easier for me to switch to my Tascam than spend the 10 minutes it would have taken to get it working.

Did you put the tube pre "amp" in the chain? You were dealing with a bone dry signal..the preamp could help.

You need a mic pre for vocals, definitely for a SMB7. Great pres for not much money are the focusrite Isa one or the Gap pre 73. Then just use the bypass button on the axe fx or input 2 with a fx loop

You need a mic pre for vocals, definitely for a SMB7. Great pres for not much money are the focusrite Isa one or the Gap pre 73. Then just use the bypass button on the axe fx or input 2 with a fx loop
Funny enough this is the mic I use and I do have a pre for it. But into the axe-fx my volume is bone dry. Very odd.

You need 60 to 80db of clean head room to run a sm7b properly. Most pres struggle. You could use a gate or compressor in the axe to bump it up

The Axe-fx is the only device I've ever run it into that it was quiet. Every other interface gives me plenty of volume. My Pre has a ton of headroom.

Are you using fxl in the chain? did you try it with the bypass button pressed? What are the input meters doing in the I/O. Im away from the studio but can do some tests after the weekend

Thanks, I think the better route is to go spdif into the emu, or USB to Cubase, but keep the emu for keys and vox. I appreciate the replies.

Back
Top Bottom