AxeFX wear and tear

Gasp100

Power User
On Saturday and Sunday I usually get more time to play be sneaking downstairs and jamming via phones or monitors while the kids are chilling. I'm just wondering since the AxeFX is closer to a computer than a tube amp, is it better to:

Turn OFF the AxeFX during periods of breaks
Leave the AxeFX on because the surge of constantly turning is ON/OFF is worse to the components than just leaving it on for extended periods.

Just wondering, I usually leave my computers on ALL of the time but obviously I would not do that with the AxeFX. For example, I played for about another 20 minutes. I need to change a diaper and then take the kids out for about an hour. Should I shut it down?

I'm going on almost two years with my Ultra. It gets a lot of on/off switching and so far so good. Maybe not having a hard drive makes it safer?

Damn good question. You're right, this is a computer, not a tube amp. I've had computer parts die out from being on all year. The heat. Then again, like you say, powering on and off can be bad. I wonder if there's a right answer to this.

Turning electronics on and off is hard on the equipment. Many circuit board failures come when a cold piece of gear is suddenly heated up by the electrons when turned on. Different metals expand at different rates. If it doesn't have tubes, leave it on. I've been in studios and computer rooms that have had equipment turned on continuously for years at a time. Screw global warming! Use those electrons and rock on.

I wouldn't want to leave it all the time.
I think the best thing to do is turn it off if you aren't using it for hours, but if you're going back & forth to play it lots of times it's probably best to just leave it on.
Just be sensible and don't worry about it too much.

I've left mine on for weeks... probably months... at a time.
imho, it's a decent stress test for equipment -- this thing's supposed to keep up on professional stages, right?

the only gear I try not to leave on for reasons other than it's-sucking-down-power-that-costs-money would be
- one of my midi pedals, since it's already 15 years old and I worry about how much longer it has to go before I need to replace the battery (something I've read about on forums for that particular pedal).
- my speakers... just in case the power goes out unexpectedly, don't want to give them a chance to make that "pop" sound...

It's OK to turn it off as often as you want. It's solid state, there are no filaments to burn out and no cathodes to strip.

acwild said:
I'm going on almost two years with my Ultra. It gets a lot of on/off switching and so far so good. Maybe not having a hard drive makes it safer?
...and not being on a Windows OS. :p

GuitarDojo said:
acwild said:
...and not being on a Windows OS. :p

:lol: I'm not saying anything as I recently switched to a Mac.

How about using a powerstrip? Is it safe to leave the Axe-Fx switch on permanetly and just use a powerstrip to turn everything on and off all at once? I use an FCB 1010 with the powerstrip and always leave the FCB on and just use the powerstrip for it and there are no problems so far. Would the Axe-Fx be OK as well? I always turn the strip on then the Axe-Fx and in reverse order when powering down but I'm wondering if I don't need to.

BlueLotus said:
How about using a powerstrip? Is it safe to leave the Axe-Fx switch on permanetly and just use a powerstrip to turn everything on and off all at once? I use an FCB 1010 with the powerstrip and always leave the FCB on and just use the powerstrip for it and there are no problems so far. Would the Axe-Fx be OK as well? I always turn the strip on then the Axe-Fx and in reverse order when powering down but I'm wondering if I don't need to.

I turn my entire rack on with the power conditioner, with the exception of the Axe FX and power amp. I turn them on and off individually. I don't want to chance a turn on power up surge hitting the FX, and the power amp draws a few amps for a second or two right at turn on. I want to feed my Axe FX a nicely stabilized line supply. Just being cautious.

axepilot said:
BlueLotus said:

I turn my entire rack on with the power conditioner, with the exception of the Axe FX and power amp. I turn them on and off individually. I don't want to chance a turn on power up surge hitting the FX, and the power amp draws a few amps for a second or two right at turn on. I want to feed my Axe FX a nicely stabilized line supply. Just being cautious.

This is what I do but keep my power condition on all of the time. I turn on my soundcard -> AxeFX -> each powered monitor. Then, I turn them off going the opposite way. But, if I think I'll be playing a few different times over a few hours I think it's okay to leave stuff on (unless there is a thunder storm brewing outside)

I guess the danger of leaving the thing on for extended periods unattended is the possibility of the fan dying, and the Axe overheating as a result.

I go even further and unplug mine when not in use. A power surge can be caused by lightning passing near wires. It doesnt have to strike the wires.

Back
Top Bottom