AxeFx sent for repair over a month ago. How long am I going to have to wait?

The guitarist in my band sent off an AxeFX standard around Oct 18th and we have received no word about it since then. Just wondering if anyone else has had to have repairs done? How much longer are we going to be waiting for it to return? Thanks for your help.

he said he did but I will bug him about it and get him to do it again. The last word we got on this thing was from UPS saying it had been delivered. Luckily we have an Ultra as well so we have been running both guitars through it for a while.

after 2 months of waiting fractal has told me that they could not reproduce the problem. Looks like I'm stuck with a broken axe-fx. They just left it running for 2 weeks and expected it to freeze. After that didn't work I told them they actually needed to play through it. And still nothing. I don't understand. If it comes back and is still broken I'm going to be very upset.

I am hesitant to even reply, but figure it might help someone...

If a piece of gear is failing in some manner, the first thing to do, IMO, is.. pictures. Moving Pictures are better (YYZ!!!), so grab that cell phone, camera, whatever and film what you are experiencing. Picture + sound = teh win. Next, document it via recipe (not just for cookies anymore). If you can provide steps that result in a repeatable *error*, this helps immensely. If you can provide a recipe and have a friend perform the steps with no knowledge of what should happen and they observe the same *error* you did, then you now have a reproducible scenario. If it occurs 100% of the time for you if those steps are performed as notated, check with others to see if this is common, or unique, or something in between. Recipes should ALWAYS begin with the first thing you do; this should ALWAYS include what may seem completely obvious, such as, "I flicked the power switch on the front of the unit to power it on." Omitting or reducing that statement leaves alternate methods of the unit "ending up powered on" as possibilities, such as.. the front switch is always in the "on" position, and power is applied to all rack components via a switch on a single power strip/unit. More information is better than too little!

Basic, reductionist troubleshooting is a MUST. If there is a cable involved, try a second, known working cable. If power is provided directly form an outlet, try another outlet on a different circuit. Power the unit "uniquely" (only unit powered by that source; powered directly form the wall, at least temporarily for testing). And so on. If you observe something, having a second, unbiased observer can help. By this, I mean someone who is unaware of what the problem is. Confirmation via bias is not nearly as useful IMO, though it can be useful when utilized additionally. IOW, if you look at the night sky and see something you are convinced is a UFO, and ask a friend, "Do you see that? UFO, right?" then you have (probably, possibly) tainted their observational opinion. They might see it for the weather balloon it actually is ;)

I am not claiming anything specific to your experience here. I am simply trying to provide some advice that I feel might help with situations like this. Consider it "3rd party hindsight" if you want.

I am hesitant to even reply, but figure it might help someone...

If a piece of gear is failing in some manner, the first thing to do, IMO, is.. pictures. Moving Pictures are better (YYZ!!!), so grab that cell phone, camera, whatever and film what you are experiencing. Picture + sound = teh win. Next, document it via recipe (not just for cookies anymore). If you can provide steps that result in a repeatable *error*, this helps immensely. If you can provide a recipe and have a friend perform the steps with no knowledge of what should happen and they observe the same *error* you did, then you now have a reproducible scenario. If it occurs 100% of the time for you if those steps are performed as notated, check with others to see if this is common, or unique, or something in between. Recipes should ALWAYS begin with the first thing you do; this should ALWAYS include what may seem completely obvious, such as, "I flicked the power switch on the front of the unit to power it on." Omitting or reducing that statement leaves alternate methods of the unit "ending up powered on" as possibilities, such as.. the front switch is always in the "on" position, and power is applied to all rack components via a switch on a single power strip/unit. More information is better than too little!

Basic, reductionist troubleshooting is a MUST. If there is a cable involved, try a second, known working cable. If power is provided directly form an outlet, try another outlet on a different circuit. Power the unit "uniquely" (only unit powered by that source; powered directly form the wall, at least temporarily for testing). And so on. If you observe something, having a second, unbiased observer can help. By this, I mean someone who is unaware of what the problem is. Confirmation via bias is not nearly as useful IMO, though it can be useful when utilized additionally. IOW, if you look at the night sky and see something you are convinced is a UFO, and ask a friend, "Do you see that? UFO, right?" then you have (probably, possibly) tainted their observational opinion. They might see it for the weather balloon it actually is ;)

I am not claiming anything specific to your experience here. I am simply trying to provide some advice that I feel might help with situations like this. Consider it "3rd party hindsight" if you want.

+ 124,958,203.59456!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom