AxeFX + Poweramp and cab VS AxeFX + Powered Loudspeakers?

Devon8822

Hey, new to the forum, thinking about getting an axefx at some point, and I am wondering what most people use, what is the best, and what the advantages are to both ways. I think some of you go with a power amp, either in a rack or the atomic one, with a cab... and some of you just plug the axefx right into some powered loudspeakers. Is the tone of a real cab superior to loudspeaker for guitar purposes? or the other way around?

Re: AxeFX + Poweramp and cab VS AxeFX + Powered Loudspeakers

A million $ question I am afraid, you would have to try both ways if you haven't decided already.
I use powered loud speakers tho.

In my mind, it looks like this:

Advantage of powered speakers: Lighter/more dispersed total rig, smaller rack

Advantage of power amp into passive speakers: Everything in one place (easier to adjust volume, all power-requiring equipment in rack itself)

Is there any advantage tonewise, to use powered speakers?

Devon8822 said:
Is there any advantage tonewise, to use powered speakers?
Yes there is, though that's not necessarily going to outweigh the advantages *you* may find in having a real guitar amp and guitar cab.

If you use a neutral enough FRFR powered speaker, then you can use the Axe-FX to its full potential and make your FRFR sound like a Fender open-back 2-12 one minute, and like a full Mesa stack one minute later.

Whereas if you use a real amp and a real guitar cab (say, for argument's sake, a Mesa amp and Mesa cab), then the Mesa stack is always going to give most of the character to your tone. You won't get that Mesa stack to sound like an open back clean Fender, no matter how much tweaking you do. IMHO.

Dpoirier said:
You won't get that Mesa stack to sound like an open back clean Fender, no matter how much tweaking you do. IMHO.

....and that would be a good thing. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom