AXEFX NAME TIMEOUT! MFC-101 III FW v3.07 [SOLVED]

BreadTooth

Experienced
EDIT 05-15-2015:
Solved: MFC PORT on the MIDI page of the I/O menu in the Axe-Fx was set to disabled.
changed to ethercon and everything synced up. nice. very nice.

Greetings Fractals,

I'm getting error message AXEFX NAME TIMEOUT! after updating my MFC-101 Mark III to firmware 3.07.

mfc recognizes update, displays fw 3.07
AxeFx XL fw is 18.01

but my ethernet doesn’t work after upgrade to 3.07.

I use a HD (heavy duty) ethercon cable for power and data to MCF.

verified connection type: use port expansion.
(i changed it from midi to expansion after the update)

MIDI unplugged after fw update. currently have ethercon cable connected.

MFC reset complete. reprogrammed all my settings, re-calibrated expression pedals. still with this error message: AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!

powered off AxeFx & MFC, switched ethernet cable around. rebooted axe & MFC. each device boots sequence fine, but MFC shows after booting X001 , then error message: AXE-FX NAME TIMEOUT!

lets try MIDI.
unplug the ethernet completely,
then power the mfc with the power adaptor
and then use the midi cable MFC OUT to AXE IN
set mfc to MIDI

SUCCESS!!!

MFC works as it should - AxeFx and MFC are synced

reset the mfc and ethernet still didnt’ work. but now I've switched to MIDI and the MFC works.

ok. Lets try FASLINK.

MFC switched to FASlink, save
unplugged MFC Power adapter
unplugged MIDI cable,
plugged XLR into AXEFX FASLINK & MFC FASLINK
rebooting AXEFX & MFC
MFC setup menu AxeFX Mode XL
midi mode FASlink

MFC displays "AXEFX NAME TIMEOUT!"

so, to recap...
at this point, only midi is working.
Ethernet and FASLINK are not working. Both give "AXEFX NAME TIMEOUT!" messages.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
PS - a HUGE thank you to Chris from axefxtutorials.com for helping me to troubleshoot and get MIDI working. Stand up dude, that Chris. :)

bump
after updating MFC-101 Mark III to firmware 3.07, the ethernet or FASLINK doesn’t work.

at this point, only midi is working.

Ethernet and FASLINK are not working. Both give "AXEFX NAME TIMEOUT!" messages.

Any ideas?
anyone else seeing this?

Thanks yek.

I may have to downgrade back to MFC v3.06 & AxeFx v17.04, which will be pita.
Perhaps I'll open a support ticket.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

I had this problem and found that the default setting for the MFC had changed to XL+, this caused all sorts of bizarre behaviour.

at this point, SOLVED: MFC PORT on the MIDI page of the I/O menu in the Axe-Fx was set to disabled.

phec'n phec

I had this problem and found that the default setting for the MFC had changed to XL+, this caused all sorts of bizarre behaviour.

thank you cosmik.
M@ had replied to my support ticket with the same suggestion and a link to the quickstart guide to check out.
I can confirm, and mentioned in the OP, that Axe-Fx Mode is set on XL, which is correct for the model AxeFX I own.
What I hadn't checked was the I/O menu on the AxeFx for MFC PORT.

whew. As you were....

Thank you all who helped out with ideas or just took a peak at this thread to uptake your experience with these types of issues.
Big THANK YOU to Chris@AxeFxTutorials and "FAS MASTAH" M@ for saving me from pulling my hair out.

rock on!

FASLINK confirmed working also!

Unplugged ethercon cable from AxeFx XL and MFC101 III.
Plugged XLR cable into AxeFx XL and MFC101 III
AxeFx I/O menu < MIDI page < MFC PORT set to FASLINK
MFC MIDI menu < use port FASLINK

everything is sync'd up nicely.

rock on!

Can you clarify? I'm looking at the I/O menu in my AXE and there is no setting for "MFC PORT" ... is this an XL-only setting?

Can you clarify? I'm looking at the I/O menu in my AXE and there is no setting for "MFC PORT" ... is this an XL-only setting?

I have an XL.
AxeFx I/O menu < MIDI page < MFC PORT set to whatever your connecting (disabled, faslink or ethercon)

I have no way to confirm if this is XL only setting.

I have a first gen AxeII and MFC. It works fine with 7-pin MIDI, and it works fine if I use Cat5 in Axe Mode = None. But I can't run in AxeII mode using Cat5. I'd posted a thread a while back about it, and it's likely that one of the ethernet ports isn't quite connecting but I haven't wanted to send everything in to troubleshoot, so I just use one of the two methods I mentioned. Thanks...

Was hoping that BreadTooth had found something I didn't know about!! ;-)

Been trying to find the solution to my Axe FX II's name timeout prob which originated only after I updated
to 18 beta. I had posted a thread on this a few ago but never has gotten resolved since and haven't called
for a ticket till I exhaust rest of options. I have tried everything that I have seen to try and have been searching the wiki as well as threads looking for suggestions. I have the original axe fx II and original MFC 101. I updated firmware to at first 18 beta and now 18.03. The MfC is updated to 3.06. Didn't try 3.07 etc cuz of bugs that have been reported. I have checked the cables and pins and checked settings in MFC and tried both Midi set to Expansion as well as Midi and changed cables accordingly. It is also set to Axe FX II. I looked in the I/O menu on the axe for any setting that I could find that is incorrect but all seems fine. I did not see in the menu anything mentioning MFC PORT... am I missing something there??? I think Ive about covered checking things but must be missing something... seems strange it never done this until I tried firmware 18.

Check the I/O > MIDI menu on the Axe-Fx. Is there a MFC setting in there?

Also, reset the MFC first: hold switch 11 while cycling power.

BTW, current MFC firmware is 3.08.

Will check the I/O for MFC setting... I didn't update to 3.08 yet as I seen on forum there are several bugs reported with 3.07 and 3.08. Thanks for suggestion yek.

only XL units have an MFC setting in the Axe I/O menu, i believe. so a non-xl unit won't have that.

what 3.08 bugs have you seen?

Back
Top Bottom