AxeFX is good for your health

Desmo808

Experienced
Hello! Noob here. I've had my AxeFX for almost two weeks. I wonder, if I could get my doctor to write a prescription for it, would my health insurance help cover the cost of the AxeFX? :D

The short version:
I'm old, rickety, and have chronic back problems. It kills me each time I have to haul gear. Because of the AxeFX, I can now eliminate several dozen pounds of rack units and pedals. And maybe even get lighter speakers.

The not so short version:
It looks like the AxeFX will be eliminating most of my pedals, plus half (or more) of my entire rack, including my beloved ADA MP-1! The MP-1 was the core of my tone for 25 years. I did the noise, battery, input jack, and transformer mods myself, it was my baby. So, when I got the AxeFX, I put the MP-1 in the AxeFX's loop, so the FX loop block was essentialy my "MP-1 block." Then I discovered the Friedman, then Tyler Grund's SRV tutorial, and can't wait to explore further. I now find myself making presets that don't even use the MP-1 block anymore. I also don't need any of my pedals anymore (well, except the Polytune2 just because it's so awesome heh heh).

The AxeFX also makes it worthwhile to consider going FRFR, which would reduce the overall weight of my gear, and divide it up into smaller units. Currently, I'm using an old Lee Jackson power amp, plus an oversized 2x12 cab with V30s. I'm a noob at this whole FRFR concept, but those powered, LIGHTWEIGHT neo FRFRs sure look attractive!

The net effect is that I can downsize the rig without downsizing the sound. Heh I know I'm preaching to the choir here. But a lot of the fun also comes in the planning of how to migrate to an AxeFX-based rig from a traditional rack rig & pedals. Just as important as getting a good tone is how much easier it will be on my back, and thus, better for my overall health.

Rock on, everyone.

Desmo

Welcome to the club!

I know it is hard for old guys to learn new tricks, but if you can deal with house monitors there is even less to carry! I am gonna buy a AX8 so then it will be guitar some cable and one board.

Desmo, Welcome to the old-guys-tied-of-lugging-gear club. Many of us ditched tons (near-literally) of gear for the Axe Fx. I eventually eliminated everything but the Axe Fx, an MFC-101 and expression pedal, and one FRFR cabinet. My back is not complaining, and neither are the others in the band or the fans at the shows.

Welcome to the group!

G'day Desmo,

There is however, the lack of sleep that suddenly owning most decent amps in the world brings!

Thanks
Pauly

Hello! Noob here. I've had my AxeFX for almost two weeks. I wonder, if I could get my doctor to write a prescription for it, would my health insurance help cover the cost of the AxeFX? :D

<SNIP>

Rock on, everyone.

Desmo

AxeFX makes you play more, which makes you a better guitarist, which helps this not to happen to you - which would be good for your health:

Yeah I can relate to playing more.. but not sure if that's a good thing for my health. My hearing is already shot and I have reduced my visits to the gym cause I can't stop playing this freaking guitar.

Back
Top Bottom