AxeFx III, the Tuner, and 7 String Guitars

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfam

Inspired
I'm sooo hesitant to post this, because I suspect the answer is either staring me in the face, or it's otherwise so obvious I'm sailing right over the common sense answer, but I've checked the manual, the wiki, searched the forum, "googled", and I cannot find any information on this:

When using a 7 String guitar on the AxeFx III, firing up the Tuner and going through standard tuning low to high, I don't understand why it appears to report my low B as String 6, same as the low E, and then on up to high E it reports the correct string placement value for all other strings.

Am I glossing over a setting? Is there a reason the tuner does this? Given what I'm seeing, is reporting the low B as "6" correct?

I guess I'd expect the Tuner to report my low B string as "7", but it is always "6".

Like I said, I have a foreboding sense of a legit face palm on the way, but could someone please explain why this is? If this is indeed expected behavior, I'm at a loss. Of course this has zero impact on the tuner function, which I absolutely LOVE btw, but I see it every time I tune up and it's driving me bananas wondering why.

Any answers/explanations/etc would be very welcome and appreciated!

Yeah, the string designation are based on standard tuning (EADGBe) on a 6 string guitar plus any offsets or downtune you have set. Ignore the string numbers and just use the chromatic notes for guitars that use other tunings.

I was mid-reply to @unix-guy when you posted. That's what I was going to point out, is that I suspect his theory on this is correct, but it only fits if you add the condition you identified, that the tuner still assumes only 6 strings are available on the instrument.

I love the tuner, and indeed I do exactly that, it works great. Wonder if I put a wish (after checking of course) in if Cliff would address it to just add the next few lower pitches to correctly reflect the correct string placement for 7 and 8 strings, perhaps others. Admittedly this is purely a cosmetic issue, but since it's able to denote 6 standard tuned strings, seems it would be fairly trivial to make it accurately report low B as "7" (and perhaps low G as "8" for those folks)?

Thanks to both of you fellas for the info, I feel much better it wasn't a "Dude, push the String # Toggle Button right on the face of unit" situation or something else completely embarrassing. :D

I will have a 6 string tuned to B as of next week.

I personally wouldnt worry about it.

In a completely non-aggressive, non passive aggressive, genuinely just interested way:

Why does it even display the string number and what do you use this designation for? I've never paid attention to anything but the note so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Fair enough. Its an incorrectly displayed piece of data that IMO should be resolved, and if its going to display string position, it should display correctly for all stringed instruments.

Frankly I don't use the feature except occasionnaly during perhaps a glance on a string set replacement when I begin tugging them out, but the same question should really be asked of the man who implemented it for a more thorough answer.

For me, its a matter of "Since it's there, can we get it functional, or maybe remove it and use the display space for something else."

I'm not a fan of a "somewhat-functional" data display that performs no useful function, or is only partially functional. TBH I'm surprised it hasnt come up before this. Its not as if 7/8 string guitars are uncommon at this point, seems its useful to bring it up and have it addressed.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely curious: do you mix up your low B string and high B string?

Nah, we aren't alike in that sense, but if its helping you keep your low and high E strings straight then at least you're getting some use out of its current implementation.

Who would say “it wouldnt”

I dont think the current method needs to change for the aforementioned downtuned 6 reasons.

Well, you're not Cliff, so there's that.

You're entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

And if that's the case, then why have it at all? Make it display +/- cents in large font instead. You've essentially stated its worthless as it stands.

EDIT: Again, I'm not a big fan of this feature anyhow, but someone must be, Cliff included it prominently. Cliff would probably state, more accurately than your presumption, that it WOULD work just fine if the user could select the instrument being tuned (6/7/8 string, etc) Its really not that difficult to understand.

Last edited:
It's not really worthless if you, like the majority guitar players, play six-stringers in E / Eb. If you're tuning silently in a loud and dark environment it's just a little hint to which string you're plucking.

Ultimately I don't really care, but to display correctly for all stringed instruments just gets messy really quickly, because you'd also need to account for ranges extended upwards.

you could just put a piece of black electrical tape over the part of the display that's bothering you
IMG_20220629_000034.gif
It's not really worthless if you, like the majority guitar players, play six-stringers in E / Eb. If you're tuning silently in a loud and dark environment it's just a little hint to which string you're plucking.

Ultimately I don't really care, but to display correctly for all stringed instruments just gets messy really quickly, because you'd also need to account for ranges extended upwards.

I believe you've strongly underestimated how many of us play 6/7/8 string guitars.

Even if your assertion was true, do you feel a feature should only favor some AxeFx owners, screw the rest, because....it doesn't affect some owners? Seems Cliff is of the opposite mentality, and for good reason.

And again, there is nothing messy about implementing a function to tell the tuner what instrument is being tuned. If that algorhythm is TOLD its a 7 string guitar, or a 6 string, or a 5 string bass, its no different than the current implementation, and trivial to implement correctly so it functions for all owners of the gear regardless of how many strings it has.

7/8/erg has gained popularity, but dont believe for a second that there’s a ton of you compared to the regular 6 string market. Signed, on SSO since 07. (And yes Jazz guys had 7’s for before the internet).

Like i said, the tuner wont know if its a 6, 7 or 8. That makes it dead in the water unless it becomes a programmable tuner option for those with OCD. One day it may happen - make a wish thread. That’s where it belongs.

7/8/erg has gained popularity, but dont believe for a second that there’s a ton of you compared to the regular 6 string market. Signed, on SSO since 07. (And yes Jazz guys had 7’s for before the internet).

LOL!! You're attempt to turn this into some know-it-all dick measuring contest has failed. Take a nap, son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom